For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
COMPUTERSTUFF's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Friday, September 21st, 2018 7:09 PM

Desktop Email Sounds

I have done everything that I can think of to turn on the sound notifications on my Chrome yahoo email account. I have turned on the Chrome sound notifications and I have turned on the email sound notification in email itself. I have checked the Chrome browser settings and turned on all the sound notifications.

What am I missing? Does anyone have suggestions? 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Did you tell the webmail you even want it to send notifications?  If you haven't go to att's home/portal page (start.att.net) and there should be a little red circle with a white triangle in the middle on the mail icon in the upper right.  Hover your mouse over the red circle. 

Warning/caution - if you bring up the dialog to enable their notifications, the fine print above the agree box will tell you you are also agreeing to the OATH terms of serves.  By this point it probably doesn't matter.  But if you are avoiding explicitly ever agreeing those then just forget about notifications.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

I got to the att.start page that has that tiny red triangle next to the mail icon. I hovered over the red icon but nothing happened. So I clicked it and then it just took me back to my email page...so I went to the settings and clicked the desktop notifications, which is already checked anyways.
The warning/caution part never showed up anywhere though???
At least I got to the red triangle; that's further than anyone else has led to. I think I'm so close, but not there yet...anything else I may not be doing correctly with that red triangle?
Thanks.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Maybe try clicking the triangle.  The following is what I see when I mouse over the triangle (mouse not shown in the screen capture).

notifications.jpg

Note, shouldn't mean anything but I use Firefox.

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

I did get the red triangle to work.  But, alack and alas, I still have no sound notification. I changed the sound notifications everywhere else that I can think of, including now that webmail page, too.
What the heck is wrong??  

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Some final thoughts on this:

The way that red circle notification box is worded maybe it's only for putting the unread count on the mail icon, although it does say "include".

Have you tried relaunching your chrome since changing the settings?

Is there any OS setting that controls app notifications?

Try rebooting.

Mac or pc?

If none of this works, I don't know.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Just found another possibility:

Desktop notifications for AT&T email

Or more briefly, in the webmail click the gear->settings->viewing email->check Desktop notifications (Enable desktop notifications).

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

You are kind to help me so much. I think I found the issue, maybe? It was telling me to sign into my Microsoft account...when I first got my computer, I was having trouble with the technical aspects of setting up my microsoft windows acct with windows 10. I gave up, contacted a tech support not with microsoft and they helped me to make up an email account "off of microsoft," I think is the term used. I think that may be the issue. But I DID find a way to get notifications in the lower right corner of the screen whenever I receive a message on facebook messenger. It would be nice to get a sound when I have email, though. I am not giving up, though. I have tried the Desktop Notifications avenue too...lol  Thanks for your continued ideas.......  
#- Please type your reply above this line -##
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.