DSL Account Deleted In 2009 - Now Receiving Spam Emails To Old ATT Email

Tutor

DSL Account Deleted In 2009 - Now Receiving Spam Emails To Old ATT Email

Before moving back to Australia in 2009 I used to live in CA. and my DSL was with AT&T and I cancelled the service in November 2009.  My email address used to be xxxx@sbcglobal.net

Before I left CA I went into my AT&T email settings and set any emails that might 'trickle' through to the cancelled AT&T account to be forwarded to another of my email addresses on my own domain which worked fine - I had some emails forwarded for awhile and then nothing until the last few weeks (some 18 months later)

Recently I have been receiving a lot of spam emails at my own email address which were originally sent to my AT&T email address and were forwarded as per the email settings on that account.

I had thought that the AT&T email address xxxx@sbcglobal.net would have been deleted by AT&T after a set amount of time following the cancellation of my DSL back in November 2009, but it does not look like that is true.

I attempted to log into the email for xxxx@sbcglobal.net so that I could somehow prevent the spam emails getting through.  However, when I try to log in it brings back an error message that the password is incorrect.
I tried to reset the password even though I know I am using the correct one and it takes me to a UVerse site where it asks 2 security questions which I have either forgotten or never set up because I do not remember them.

I used the "Chat With AT&T" feature and the consultant informed me that my old account was now classified as an AT&T free email account since I have no actual accounts with AT&T.

I think that is slightly incorrect because I am able to log in to the AT&T account site as if the account was still active.

I also would like to know why after such a long time all these spam emails started to arrive?

Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.
Thank you for your assistance.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 2
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: DSL Account Deleted In 2009 - Now Receiving Spam Emails To Old ATT Email

I managed to solve my problem.

I logged into the AT&T "My Account" page and then 'reset' my password - I used my current password as the new password and saved my changes.

I then went to the "Check Mail" link, and when I entered my email address and password I was logged in successfully.

I don't know why my password was not being accepted by yahoo before I did the re-set but everything works fine now.

What I also did while I was logged in to the My Account page was to change all the security questions to something I know I'll remember.

I still don't know why all that spam email suddenly started to be sent to my sbcglobal address.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Having trouble with your email? Need to change your password? Has your email been hacked? Check out the links below for help! Don't Forget To Search The Forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

Additional Support