Protect yourself online
velocedge's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Thursday, December 15th, 2016 2:00 PM

Constantly asking for user name and password on every send regardless of account

Windows 10, Outlook 2013, 4 e-mail accounts including AT&T.  I can send and receive to the AT&T account but everytime I send an email, regardless of the account, I get a pop-up asking for my AT&T user name and password.  It doesn't matter if I check the "save password" box, it continues to ask for the credentials everytime.  It also pops up periodically during the day at random times.  Sometimes I have to click [Ok] five to eight times in succession before it quits popping up.  I am able to send and receive mail from the AT&T account in Outlook.

I've logged on to the ATT.net site, clicked mail and logged in, gone directly to mail.yahoo.com, as I've seen in other posts, but the both redirect to mg.mail.yahoo.com.  I can log on without any trouble and send mail.

I've followed the advice of other posts using netsh to reset winsock and ip.  I've deleted and recreated the AT&T account in Outlook, changed the password.  Nothing seems to work.  There are many posts regarding the same issue on this and other forums but no real solutions... at least that I've been able to find. What else can I do to fix this annoying problem?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

7 years ago

I have Office Outlook 2007.  Same problem.  Just for the heck of it, when the enter password box popped up I did not just click OK or cancel to try and make it go away.  I highlighted the dots occupying the space for the password and deleted them.  Then in the now blank space manually entered the password.  I then checked the box indicating to save the password and then clicked OK.  To my complete surprise the box stopped popping up and my Office Outlook 2007 is able to automatically check for mail every 10 minutes and no box asking for a password.

I also noticed it wanted the password to receive incoming mail only, so it may have had to do with a security update in Outlook.  But I don’t really know.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I have outlook 2013.  I have two mail accounts configured that work fine.  My att.net account keeps popping up the password box.  I have confirmed I am using the right password by logging in on the web.    I have tried adding the accound with POP3 and IMAP, both fail at the password.  

I found a supoprt article that seems to address this, but when I try and go to the link it says I do not have "permission" to view it...............

Frustrated.  

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

8 years ago

qjhenderson_1 can you give us the link that you are getting that error on? Also are you able to log in via web mail? 

Thank you,
TimB U-verse Social Media Manager
1pm - 10pm CST Saturday - Wednesday
Please try out our newly improved Troubleshoot and Resolve tool at att.com/ufix

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I will send the link tomorrow. Yes I can log into web mail just fine.

Thanks

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

This is the link that I cannot get to work:    http://forums.att.com/t5/Forums-Help-and-Feedback-Group/Information-Needed-on-Initial-Posting/ta-p/4716411

It was in the post:  https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Email-Security/Outlook-2007-frequently-asks-for-my-wife-s-password/m-p/3612005#M13780

Also - I can log in to the web mail................

Thanks for the reply.

Community Support

• 

231.3K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @qjhenderson_1,

We are sorry about the dead links. They referenced a site that is no longer available. The information on it was to:

Login to both att.net (then click on mail) and mail.yahoo.com.

They are 2 different authentication sites, and you may be able to access one but not the other.

Make sure you logout after going to each site.

Also, try resetting your password to something different.

Along with that, if you do not have an active AT&T internet account (DSL or U-verse), this may be the reason your E-mail does not work. We have seen it work sometimes, but the free AT&T E-mail accounts do not support 3rd party E-mail clients.

Finally, if still having issues, we suggest deleting your outlook profile and setting it up again. Also, if you have a spare computer that is not using the profile, you can try setting it up on that to see if it will work.

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Did you see my info that I sent you?  I have not heard back. 

Community Support

• 

231.3K Messages

8 years ago

Hi,

We did not get any messages. If you did send one, please send it again. The last response we have is your post before ours. Hopefully, those instructions do help get everything working.

-ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

when i send an email on my sbcglobal.net account using outlook 2013, it randomly asks me for the user name and password almost every time.  It's vey annoying.  THis accout worked perfectly for many years and suddenly in the last few weeks this started showing up.  Now it's almost every time. I did not change any settings.  Has anyone had succuss fixing this issue?  I've tried many of the suggestions.  

Community Support

• 

231.3K Messages

7 years ago

Hi @jmad4time,

We recommend deleting the profile and readding it. This may resolve the issue. If not, we recommend contacting Microsoft to see if they have some steps to resolve this. 

-ATTU-verseCare

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.