For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
shnurmy's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, April 1st, 2013 8:02 PM

Changing password for a yahoo,.com email address.

Hello! I am extremely frustrated. I have a yahoo.com email address which was recently hacked into. I would like to change the password. In following the steps I noticed that I had a primary email address which is an sbcglobal.net address. I was able to change the password for this but it did not change the password for my yahoo.com email address. In trying to get help a screen came up that said that my service is handled by AT&T. AT&T had no record of me & directed me back to yahoo. I am unable to find a phone number for yahoo & I continue to get directed back to AT&T. I can't believe it is this difficult to change a password. Is there anybody who might be able to help me in this situation? Also, is there anything further I might need to do to prevent further hacking. Thank you very much.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

@shnurmy wrote:

Hello! I am extremely frustrated. I have a yahoo.com email address which was recently hacked into. I would like to change the password. In following the steps I noticed that I had a primary email address which is an sbcglobal.net address. I was able to change the password for this but it did not change the password for my yahoo.com email address. In trying to get help a screen came up that said that my service is handled by AT&T. AT&T had no record of me & directed me back to yahoo. I am unable to find a phone number for yahoo & I continue to get directed back to AT&T. I can't believe it is this difficult to change a password. Is there anybody who might be able to help me in this situation? Also, is there anything further I might need to do to prevent further hacking. Thank you very much.

shnurmy,

Sorry to hear that your having trouble with your yahoo.com email address. I will include all links that I can find that might assist you.

My AT&T email account may have been hacked, phished, or compromised

Email password change or reset

I have read on these forums that people have had success with ATT's online chat in this situation.

Chat with AT&T Technical and Service Support

If after these three possible solutions you are still locked out you might want to send a private message to our ATTCustomer care team by following the next link. Please include your name, an accessible email address, phone number and the best time to be contacted; please also allow up to 48 hours for a representative to contact you.

Private Message

James

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I had a similar problem. When I changed the password for my merged yahoo and sbcglobal emails, the new password was active if I logged in at att.yahoo.com, but the old password was still active at www.yahoo.com. I went on this community forum and private message to Customer Care and several phone calls to AT&T tech support., but no help. AT&T finally gave me a phone for yahoo help, but they just referred me to help on their internet site, which of course referred me back to AT&T. I somehow stumbled on the link below to unmerge my yahoo mail from the sbcglobal mail. First I had to unlink my AT&T wireless account from the sbcglobal account. Then I could log in to myat&t with my sbcglobal.net for user ID,and use the link below to unmerge the two email accounts. Then it was easy to click on the gear on the yahoo site to change the yahoo password. In effect I fired sbcglobal.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/dsl-high-speed/KM1047015

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have the exact same problem. I was hacked so I changed my password through the att site. But my old password still works on the yahoo.com and when I try to change it it just directs me back to att. I , too, had an sbcglobal.net account that was merged. I tried the link given in the previous post but it simply says the page no longer exists. Any help? I desperately want to protect my email account. Why do they make it so hard!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

have you found a resolution? I am in the same boat - have had a yahoo email for 20+ years - several years ago we had SBCGlobal (now ATT) for internet and they forced a merge/link with our email. Quit ATT many years ago, account was never given the option to unlink. Spam is going out from my yahoo address; tried to change password but it redirects to ATT - I change the password but it never updates the yahoo mail account.  ATT customer service says they can't do anything & to call yahoo - yahoo redirects back to ATT

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.