For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
mangogarcia's profile

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, June 13th, 2018 8:05 PM

Closed

Cannot send email from laptop, but can receive them. Send and receive both work on desktop.

Cannot send email from laptop, but can receive them. Send and receive both work on desktop. All Apple computers. Laptop Email preferences shows: Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) -> att.net (Offline). The "Edit SMTP server list" option for this [only item in list = att.net (Offline)] shows: "description" -> att.net, and "server name" -> smtp.mail.yahoo.com, "TLS certificate" -> none. Problem began June 11, 2018.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Don't know about the certificate problem but why are you using smtp.mail.yahoo.com (yahoo's SMTP server) and not att's (outbound.att.net for POP and smtp.mail.att.net fpr IMAP) as specified here

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you. I discovered this afterwards. I used https://www.apple.com/support/mail-settings-lookup/ to learn about the correct outgoing server name for my e-mail address (a suggestion from a posting at ATT Community), then made a new/corrected outgoing server in my Mac mail program. Using this new/correct server now, and all seems well. A learning experience. I appreciate your reply and will file it for future reference.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

6 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this subject, and a great solution!