For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
Drachealia's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, April 3rd, 2014 8:23 PM

Cancelling DSL and Want to Keep sbcglobal.net E-Mail Address

We are going to be cancelling our AT&T DSL due to the slow speed and inability to get any faster speed at our home (when we are lucky we get download speeds that sometime peak at 670kb or so per sec with DSL whereas with Comcast which we just installed, we are averaging 6.8 MB/sec, an absolutely breathtaking change).  I have had my current sbcglobal.net e-mail address for over 10 years and want to keep it.  I have read many posts that say, "yes, if I am in good standing after cancelling my DSL I get to keep my e-mail address" but I am wondering if, upon cancellation of my DSL, I can then upgrade my what will then be free e-mail to be an Ad-Free paid account through Yahoo.

My sbcglobal.net e-mail account was never merged with a yahoo.com e-mail ID so there is no account to "unmerge" with.  Can an sbcglobal.net e-mail address no longer linked to a DSL account become an ad free paid account or will I be stuck with the unsupported free mail?

Also, if I only have my sbcglobal.net e-mail as a free account, will I still be able to use POP3 to get my mail through Thunderbird and my Droid phone or will I just be able to use the Web-based interface for the mail (which due to the loss of the Yahoo Classic interface is now terrible)?

Thank you in advance.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I too plan to drop dsl and want to keep my e-mail@att.net and e-mail@swbell.net email accounts.The e-mail@att.net is left over from worldnet.att.net  (dial-up) and has been automatically forwarded for years to my-e-mail@swbell.net (dsl account).

To that end  I have configured pop e-mail to use pop.yahoo.com with SSL and can log in and pop my swbell.net e-mail without a problem.

However, before I cut the cord on DSL, I'm researching password reset and am not happy with what I see. Most every post recommends "secret question" but that is no longer an option on the account profile on my.att.yahoo.com e-mail configuration.

To make my e-mail configuration really non-standard, I pop mail from pop.yahoo.com with fetchmail running on my home UNIX server. I log in with email_name@swbell.net (The original e-mail for dsl before AT&T bought Southwestern Bell Telephone Company). All my e-mail is delivered to my local UNIX login account and I pop it off the UNIX box to Thunderbird on Windows XP.

My outgoing e-mail is via stunnel on my home Ubuntu linux desktop the connects to  smtp.att.yahoo.com:

[smtp-tls-wrapper]
accept = 25
client = yes
connect = smtp.att.yahoo.com:smtp
;connect = outbound.att.net:smtp
protocol = smtp

I recently changed from the outbound.att.net to smtp.att.yahoo.com to test in preparation to cutting the dsl cord. This connection is now being sent over Google fiber and not over the existing dsl line.  So far everything is working. I'm still researching the required account settings for my mail-name@att.net and mail-name@swbell.net to verify that I will be able to change/maintain the account password once I no longer have a dsl account with AT&T.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Could you please tell me how I can cancel the DSL service from my account but keep the bellsouth.net e-mail address?

Thank you,

Dara

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

If I cancel my AT&T DSL, do I get to keep the email address?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.