Protect yourself online
Pluff Daddy's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, March 28th, 2014 9:26 PM

Cancel dial up service and keep email address active (open portal)

It is my understanding that I can cancel my dial-up internet account with AT&T but keep my email account @att.net active at no charge.  Is this true?  If so, how do I go about this?  Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

According to the Internet Terms of Service which applied to you as an AT&T Dial Customer

This Terms of Service & Terms of Use (“Agreement”) along with the AT&T Acceptable Use Policy,  the AT&T and Yahoo privacy policies, and the other documents incorporated by reference herein,set forth your obligations, AT&T’s obligations, and the rules you must follow when using the att.net portal and/or e-mail (“Site”) and/or AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet, AT&T High Speed Internet, AT&T High Speed Internet Business Edition, AT&T High Speed Internet Direct, AT&T High Speed Internet Business Edition Direct, AT&T Dial, FastAccess DSL, FastAccess Business DSL, Wireless Broadband provided by BellSouth Entertainment, LLC, BellSouth® Dial Internet Service (“Service(s)”).

=====//=====//=====//=====// BREAK //=====//=====//=====//=====

5. Termination or Cancellation of Service
a. Cancellation of Service by Customer. When you purchased the Service, you agreed to a specific price and plan, which may have included a term. You agree that if you cancel your plan before the end of the term, you will pay the early termination fee associated with that plan. At the conclusion of your term or if you did not sign up for a term plan, the term for your Service will be month-to-month. When you cancel your service, your account ID e-mail address will remain active, as will all e-mail subaccounts you have created. The e-mail accounts may be accessed from the att.net website.

Based on this information, once you cancel your Dial service, you should retain access to your AT&T Yahoo Email via the att.net website. Your account will be converted into a free, basic account -- no access to additional or premium features, such as AT&T Internet Security, etc. You may also lose POP access -- so if you use Outlook, you may no longer be able to check your mail using Outlook. 

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Pluff Daddy@  wrote:

@it is my understanding that I can cancel my dial-up internet account with AT&T but keep my email account @att.net active at no charge.  Is this true?  If so, how do I go about this?  Thank you.

From AT&T support:

Although you still get access to many of the great email features, if you aren't an AT&T High Speed Internet or U-verse customer, you can't get a few things.

• Access to Internet Security Suite (McAfee)
  • Free AT&T Wi-Fi access
  • Permission to create subaccounts or POP/FWD mail for email clients if you created your att.net Mail account after June 2011
  • Live customer support

Although you can keep your AT&T related email accounts, the only support after 60 days is automated web-based support. So keep your passwords and security question answers handy. As well, if the account gets "broken" then you pretty much out of luck because you will not be able to call AT&T or Yahoo about it.

If you did "merge" your previous Yahoo account with your AT&T account, then follow the directions below for un-merging (from AT&T support site). Otherwise, if you're not interested in keeping the AT&T and/or Yahoo account and just want the messages from the inbox folder, then use a third party POP client like Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, etc. to download the messages to your computer.

Unmerge your AT&T and Yahoo! email accounts

If you have an AT&T email account that was merged with a Yahoo! email account and your AT&T service has been canceled or disconnected, you can still keep your Yahoo! email address by unmerging your accounts. To learn more about merged email accounts, visit Understand your merged AT&T and Yahoo! IDs.

Your AT&T email address, which is also referred to as your Member ID, can have one of several domains, including att.net, sbcglobal.net, bellsouth.net. If you are unsure about your email domain or Member ID, visit All about your Member ID.

Delete your AT&T Member ID and keep your Yahoo! email ID

Follow these steps to unmerge your accounts and keep your Yahoo! ID:

1. Log in to myAT&T with your AT&T Member ID.
  2. In the User Information tab, to the right of your Member ID, select Delete Email.User Information tab precedes Manage Sub Acounts tab. Delete Email follows Check Email                                                                                                                                                                                
  3. The Delete Email confirmation displays. Select Ok.Message confirming you are deleting                                                                                                                                                                                     
  4. Although the message in the box says that all your information and messaging associated with the account and all sub-accounts will be deleted, this is misleading. This action will only delete the AT&T email address itself, and you have not lost any email, contacts, or other information within the Yahoo! side of your account. Your Yahoo! account still exists in mail.yahoo.com, and you can continue to use the Yahoo! email address.

5.  To continue using your Yahoo! mail, sign in to Yahoo! mail. Select the Unmerge button in the bottom right corner of the page.

Unmerge IDs with sub-accounts

If you have sub-accounts, it's important to unmerge or transfer data from your AT&T sub-accounts before you unmerge your master AT&T Member ID from a Yahoo! ID. Failure to do so will cause any merged sub-accounts to be automatically unmerged, and any sub-accounts that are not merged with a Yahoo! ID will lose their data and preferences.

Important Note

Once you unmerge a Yahoo! ID from an AT&T Member ID or transfer the data and preferences from your AT&T Member ID to a new Yahoo! ID, you will not be able to remerge your Yahoo! ID with an AT&T Member ID.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

According to a reliable source ( a friend who is employed by AT&T ) ,

free @att.net addresses that are dormant ( no activity ) for thirty days 

will be closed. So, some activity each week would seem wise.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

When did AT&T change it's policy regarding maintaining your AT&T dial-up internet service to keep your att.net email account active?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Do you know the effective date of the "terms of use" for Dial-up internet users? 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I strongly recommend to everyone that has paid for AT&T dial up internet service ONLY for the purpose of maintaining their AT&T email address to file a compliant with AT&T's legal department.  I am going to request a refund retroactive to 2011 when they changed their policy.  Here is the link to print out and where to mail it...

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB72595&cv=820

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Any luck obtaining a refund for the unnecessary dial-up charges?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Update on the compliant?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

i have not heard that anyone has been successful at receiving a refund from ATT for the charges for dial-up service solely for maintaining their ATT email address.

i am waiting to hear that filing the compliant is worthwhile before i do so myself.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I first found out through an email from at&t on 2/26/15.

It said that the monthly charge would increase to 17.95 from 12.95

Also said that if

you cancel dial up service, you can still use att webmail and enjoy etc. etc. But with only

email support (no phone tech support).

SO, I called them a bout 15 times the next several months (over 25 hours of phone time)

trying to get my cancelation of dial up made official (with 2 different cancelation confirmation #s) by what a manager of billing called the  back office!  Her name was Jessica; and she admitted that

"many"  [meaning hundreds or thousands considering the size of the Corp]. were having

difficutty canceling their dial up!!. .This is just an example of how the suoer corporations, bombard,  torment and abuse the rest of the people! Especially  the lower, working and middle classes!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.