Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can't send mails from att.net account in outlook

Tutor

Can't send mails from att.net account in outlook

For 7 years I've had AT&T Uverse internet service with very few issues. In the past week, I'm not able to send emails the way I want to.

I use outlook 2010 and I have there several email accounts from different providers around the world. Due to technical reasons related to network limitations of providers in other countries, I can only send emails using the AT&T outbound service. However, since I have a personal email account that my friends all over the world have, I set up the "reply to" option on the AT&T account in outlook to be that personal email (a****@###.net.**). It seems that AT&T or Yahoo made some change that now when I send an email from my AT&T account, it bounces back and I receive the message "550 Request failed; Mailbox unavailable". If I remove the "reply to" email setup, it works fine. What can I do? I've been trying to talk to AT&T technical support until I'm blue in the face, and nothing is working. I NEED HELP!!!

(btw, I read in one of the threads to change the AT&T account set up in outlook from POP3 to IMAP. I did that, and when sending with that account, the emails just disappeared into some black hole :))

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by annam9
‎06-07-2019 6:17 AM

Re: Can't send mails from att.net account in outlook

It seems that AT&T or Yahoo made some change that now when I send an email from my AT&T account, it bounces back and I receive the message "550 Request failed; Mailbox unavailable".

I don't know when it happened but yahoo now requires that any reply-to address be a valid email address.  And for it to know that you need to have it set in the list of Send-only email addresses in the webmail settings.  In the "new" webmail click the settings gear -> more settings -> mailboxes.  There you will see a section called Send-only email address were you can add email addresses.  When you click Add the pane on the right will allow you to enter an email address and verify it (sends an email to that address which you need to respond to there).  Once verified you can use it as a reply-to.  I think this is to cut down of spammers using yahoo for sending out spam with a spoofed sender address.

Note if the reply-to you were using is already listed then try deleting it (click it to get to the remove button) and add it back in.  I think this is similar to the philosophy of changing your password when it doesn't work just to get the data updated (that's my theory at least).

btw, I read in one of the threads to change the AT&T account set up in outlook from POP3 to IMAP.

That's just nonsense and misinformation.  POP works just fine.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 3
Tutor

Re: Can't send mails from att.net account in outlook

Thank you so much 

Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support