Ask a question
Search in Internet Forums

Internet Forum

Posted Dec 20, 2013
6:47:06 AM
View profile
Can I keep my sbcglobal.net net email address if I switch service

I'm thinking of changing service but I've had this email address for 10 years, can I keep this if I switch or will I need to change.

I'm thinking of changing service but I've had this email address for 10 years, can I keep this if I switch or will I need to change.

Accepted Solution

Can I keep my sbcglobal.net net email address if I switch service

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 20, 2013 7:03:35 AM
(0)
Employee
If you cancel, will have access to email accounts, if suspended account will not.

From TOS http://www.att.com/shop/internet/att-internet-terms-of-service.html
a. Cancellation of Service by Customer. When you purchased the Service, you agreed to a specific price and plan, which may have included a term. You agree that if you cancel your plan before the end of the term, you will pay the early termination fee associated with that plan. At the conclusion of your term or if you did not sign up for a term plan, the term for your Service will be month-to-month. When you cancel your service, your account ID e-mail address will remain active, as will all e-mail subaccounts you have created. The e-mail accounts may be accessed from the att.net website.
If you cancel, will have access to email accounts, if suspended account will not.

From TOS http://www.att.com/shop/internet/att-internet-terms-of-service.html
a. Cancellation of Service by Customer. When you purchased the Service, you agreed to a specific price and plan, which may have included a term. You agree that if you cancel your plan before the end of the term, you will pay the early termination fee associated with that plan. At the conclusion of your term or if you did not sign up for a term plan, the term for your Service will be month-to-month. When you cancel your service, your account ID e-mail address will remain active, as will all e-mail subaccounts you have created. The e-mail accounts may be accessed from the att.net website.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Can I keep my sbcglobal.net net email address if I switch service

2 of 6 (12,828 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 7:08:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

I've had this service since 1/10/10 so my guess is I'm out of contract and still in good standing with AT&T.

I just want to know if in fact I can keep the email which would be a pain. Also it would be through Yahoo?

I've had this service since 1/10/10 so my guess is I'm out of contract and still in good standing with AT&T.

I just want to know if in fact I can keep the email which would be a pain. Also it would be through Yahoo?

3 of 6 (12,824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 7:21:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
slaz55 - It is pretty easy to save your data in your current account if you act now. After you cancel it will either stay or not. If it is not there is nothing you can do. I would set up another account & save my data just in case.

Open a gmail account or any other free e-mail not associated with an ISP. Google for best free e-mail accounts.
From the settings in gmail download all your stuff from att.
In the att account settings, set it to forward mail to the gmail account
Use the new account.
slaz55 - It is pretty easy to save your data in your current account if you act now. After you cancel it will either stay or not. If it is not there is nothing you can do. I would set up another account & save my data just in case.

Open a gmail account or any other free e-mail not associated with an ISP. Google for best free e-mail accounts.
From the settings in gmail download all your stuff from att.
In the att account settings, set it to forward mail to the gmail account
Use the new account.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (12,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 7:32:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

aviewer not too concerned about the old stuff because I use my Apple Mail as a POP account it's all on the computer, I'm more concerned about losing email contact with 100's of people and companies. Really this is the only thing stopping me right now. Wish Uverse would do 2 things, fix that darn DVR it's years behind the others and offer loyal users something....anything.

aviewer not too concerned about the old stuff because I use my Apple Mail as a POP account it's all on the computer, I'm more concerned about losing email contact with 100's of people and companies. Really this is the only thing stopping me right now. Wish Uverse would do 2 things, fix that darn DVR it's years behind the others and offer loyal users something....anything.

5 of 6 (12,817 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2013 7:40:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
slaz55 - Good point. Thanks for posting it. It would be a major effort to change your contact in a large number of locations. Plus, if they use your e-mail as your ID it adds to the complication.

Without the old address remaining active, there would be no way to forward new messages.
slaz55 - Good point. Thanks for posting it. It would be a major effort to change your contact in a large number of locations. Plus, if they use your e-mail as your ID it adds to the complication.

Without the old address remaining active, there would be no way to forward new messages.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 6 (12,810 Views)