Protect yourself online
Jeamey's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, June 16th, 2018 1:23 PM

Can I bypass the battery backup?

Lightening struck tree outside of house. Battery alarm went off on BBU. Says to replace battery. Makes a gurgling sound when plugged in. Is there a way to bypass the battery to test the router? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

Which router/BBU do you have?

Certain routers (BGW210) have internal BBUs.  In that case, just don't replace the battery in the compartment.  With the large brick external BBU, if the router is plugged into it, just unplug and plug router directly into an outlet.  Some routers are hardwired (no plug) to the BBU.  I'd say just turn off the alarm.  Otherwise, I'm not sure.

FYI:  The BBU only supplies power to Uvoice (VOIP) phone service, not internet.  If you don't have Uvoice, the BBU is useless.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Mine is hard wired. Looks like I will need to replace router (which may also be damaged), buy new battery (not necessarily needed-no phone connected anymore), or buy adapter for router. All options leave us without internet for at least a few days. Was hoping to be able to bypass battery until I decide next step. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

I know my router got fried during a storm.  When I called, they insisted that the tech come to verify the issue and he had brought a router with him.  Have you called CS yet?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

FYI:  The BBU only supplies power to Uvoice (VOIP) phone service, not internet.  If you don't have Uvoice, the BBU is useless.

Are you sure about this? I’ve got my router plugged into a backup unit and when I’ve had power go out, the internet connection stays up as long as the router has power or until the BBU itself dies which is fairly quickly because the battery in the unit needs to be replaced. My VOIP line only stays up a few minutes but so does the internet connection. Just had power out the other day for an hour. I actually reported the outage via the internet from my phone which was still on WiFi yet. I thought I would need to switch to cellular but didn’t and my outage submission got through.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

You are (of course) correct @my thoughts 

I had the big brick BBU years ago and yes, that kept both internet and VOIP going.  When it was replaced by a 589 with internal BBU, it only powered VOIP.  When the 589 got fried, they replaced it with a 210 and again, internal BBU=power to VOIP only. 

I never put a battery in the 210 since I have a cell phone and the VOIP was not that important.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

They wanted to send me a new router (for $100 of course). 
My son took out the battery and put it back in. If it's not plugged in, it will work, but battery is low. He found a cord that works with the router.  So we are up and running again. Looks like router is ok. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Jeamey wrote:
They wanted to send me a new router (for $100 of course). 
My son took out the battery and put it back in. If it's not plugged in, it will work, but battery is low. He found a cord that works with the router.  So we are up and running again. Looks like router is ok. 

The $100 would have been for a truck roll since you cannot purchase modems (lease only).  If they were going to send you a modem for a self install, there would not be a cost but there would be a monthly lease fee.

But I'm glad you got it up and running.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.