Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Blocking Router Access to Guest on my Wifi?

Highlighted
Contributor

Blocking Router Access to Guest on my Wifi?

How do I prevent nosy wifi guest from viewing my routers homepage?

I provided the wifi code to my roommates so they can only use 2g speeds. I discovered they visited the stock site 192.168.1.254 and were able to view my 5g wifi password which was different from my 2g wifi password. I want to prevent easy access to the routers homepage. Is there a way to add a unique password to the router's homepage, preventing anyone with current wifi access to easily visit the router homepage?

Thank you,

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Blocking Router Access to Guest on my Wifi?

Doesn't your gateway model support guest wifi?  That's a different ssid/password from the "normal" 2.5 and 5 wifi ssid/password(s).  Which model gateway do you have?  I know the 599, 5268, and 210's support guest wifi.  Not sure of the earlier models.

Note, I haven't tried this but I assume that when using the guest wifi access the user doesn't have gateway access through 192.168.1.254.  Pretty silly design if it does.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

I have the Arris Model BGW210-700

It does have Guest Wifi and it prevents access to to the routers homepage (gateway) however the speed on the guest wifi is below 30 MBPS.

The 2g wifi goes up 200 MBPS; this way faster and would be incredibly noticeable by roommates and guest alike.

At this point I don't care if they know or have both the 2g and 5g passwords; I just don't like the fact anyone with current wifi access can go into the router directly without an administrator password and just restart my router or get into some settings so darn easily.

Thank you for your quick response 

Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

At this point I don't care if they know or have both the 2g and 5g passwords; I just don't like the fact anyone with current wifi access can go into the router directly without an administrator password and just restart my router or get into some settings so darn easily.

I don't know why the guest 2.4 would be any slower than the non-guest 2.4.  Maybe everyone's competing for bandwidth at the same time. 

If they aren't using the guest wifi then there's no stopping them from accessing the non-protected (i.e., stuff that doesn't need the access code) areas of the gateway.  But they cannot shut it down or make any changes without the access code (not to be confused with the wifi password).

The fact that someone can see the gateway's home page when connected to the gateway has been discussed numerous times in these forums.  That's not going to change.  If you want to hide all this stuff then get a router which does what you want, connect it behind the gateway, and turn the gateway's wifi off.

You say your roommates are using the gateway's wifi.  Is the gateway physically protected from them?  Even without using wifi, what's preventing them from connecting via ethernet and accessing the gateway directly?  And if you didn't change the access code that's plastered on a label stuck on the side of the gateway for all to see then they can do anything they want.  So then you need to change it too.  And even if you did change, with physical access there's no way to protect then from reboot, factory reset to get the defaults back (on that label), whatever. 

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
ACE - Professor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by alfredo714
‎04-23-2019 5:53 PM

As @_xyzzy_  said, without the access code changes cannot be made. To hide the passwords, got to home network, WiFi, enter access code, select hide password button. 

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 6
Contributor

Thank you!

This worked! I was able to change the the wifi codes on the 2g and 5g; they have different codes now; then I followed your instructions; now if anyone has access to my wifi 2g and they decide to visit the 192.168.1.254 (gateway) they can no longer see the wife codes for either the 2g or 5g; this great because some iPhone users don't need know the password; they can get access to my 2g wifi by simply sharing or been giving access by another iPhone user who is already logged into my 2g wifi; this helps in incase my roommates share the 2g wifi with other people and anyone tires to see my 5g password. Thank you!

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support