For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
_xyzzy_'s profile

Expert

• 

15K Messages

Tuesday, July 10th, 2018 10:16 PM

Basic vs. Full Featured att/yahoo webmail

A number of threads have been asking about "Basic" webmail.   Switching from full featured to basic does not affect your email.  You still have the same account(s), mail boxes, and the contents of those mailboxes.  The only thing that changes is how it is presented on the webpage and some features that are only provided in the full featured version. 

I did some searching and found what features you "lose" in the basic version.  They are,

• Formatting toolbar
  • Photo Slideshow
  • Yahoo Messenger
  • Notepad (basic has a notepad)
  • Themes
  • Gifs
  • Newsfeed
  • Filters

Also missing is the account specific settings like specifying a sending name and reply-to email address.  That and filters could be important to some users.

Another concern I am not sure of at this point, it may be that you cannot use IMAP in email clients due to the strange "POP & Forwarding" option called "Access Yahoo Mail via POP".  I haven't tested this out.  You wouldn't think a email client app would care about what options are in the webmail but why have an option like "Access Yahoo Mail via POP"?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks, your email is reassuring the reversion to 'basic' email will not be a bump in my email road.  Not aware that I use, and for some attributes, even know what any of the missing feature's are.  For example, formatting?  Whatever format is the default format is what I use because I've never set it.  Not sure why someone would want to change formatting . . .  but I guess that makes me a 'basic user.'  As indicated in earlier messages, I use the computer for productivity . . . only need to know the features that allows an application to produce what I need.  Email for communication with clients, production of documents, including spreadsheets, and transmission of them as PDFs via the internet.  No games, no Facebook . . . doesn't make any $$ for me. 

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@FlummoxedCust said:

Not sure why someone would want to change formatting...

Never?  Really?  For example you never want to bold, underline, or italicize some words for emphasis.  Or change the font or font size for some reason?  Or various other formatting techniques to get your point across?  Even these forums supply some of these formatting features.  Look at the toolbar above the reply box here.  Note, these are rhetorical questions.  No need to answer.   I guess everyone has their own writing style and preferences.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I'm experiencing the same loss of full-featured ATT/Yahoo Email, and it's aggravating. I constantly used the formatting feature and others. Now I'm relegated to Basic Email (Classic Email) because IE is no longer supported by ATT. I downloaded Foxfire, which I understand is a much better browser than IE. My question is how do I get my Yahoo Email connected with my Foxfire browser, so I can get back to full email?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

@Ambassador

My question is how do I get my Yahoo Email connected with my Foxfire browser, so I can get back to full email?

It's Firefox, not foxfire!  Since Firefox is one of the supported browsers you should be able to access the new email laying (aka was the "full featured" layout).  If you are still in classic (aka was called basic) then you should see "Switch to the newest att.net Mail" toward the upper right of the mail list pane.  Click that to get into the "new" layout.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I do not have a "Switch to the newest att.net Mail" in my basic att.net email.  It's been on the Full Feature Layout since day 1 of update and suddenly it went back to basic.  Tells me to download a new browser which I have done (Chrome) and it stays in basic mode. 

I have a Chrome on my installed programs showing a 2016 installation date and not the new date installed.  Do I need to uninstall the 2016 installation?  I looked for Chrome updates but not showing I need one.  Please help  Thank you

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

@maryfr1 - If the "Switch to..." is not there you are not using one of the supported browsers.  In the case of Chrome I believe it's got to be newer than some particular version (don't know what version that is).  But certainly downloading the latest version would be sufficient.  Note it's att/yahoo webmail that's doing this version test not your browser.   Your browser would only ask you to download its newest version if you enabled that option in the browser.

You don't have to uninstall anything.  Just download it and launch it.  It will continue to use the same browser settings its previous version was using.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

5 years ago

To be clear: This problem has been occurring gradually for several days, and I posted about it in detail here. The problem persists across SUPPORTED browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge) and also on Chromium (basically Chrome without the Google branding, which has worked just fine with the full-featured GUI for many years). It persists across operating systems (Linux, Windows 10, Chrome OS), and across email accounts (two separate pacbell legacy accounts and a Yahoo Small Business domain whose email is powered by "AT&T Yahoo." AT&T is saying it's a Yahoo problem (and they also lied and said I'm the only person affected, no other reports). Yahoo, of course, says it's an AT&T problem, which it likely is.

This thread neglects to point out that the Basic version does not support outgoing graphics of any kind. I could not even forward a graphics-heavy HTML email that I received today. (It displayed fine, but when I attempted to forward it, it displayed what appeared to be RTF code in plain text.)

I've been using a workaround to continue using rich-text and graphics from my AT&T email account, but if they don't get it fixed soon, I'm cutting ties and going full Gmail.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Helpful, but still use Windows 7 pro on a standard PC, and Firefox Quantum browser. ATT/yahoo mail and Firefox apparently have conflict, i.e.:  when I close my email, I am redirected to the AT&T home page. I too am fed up with AT&T and Yahoo, and will switch to Google Chrome soon.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

GC causing problems with my email account and my Facebook account. I
uninstalled Firefox but did not help. GC is my current browser. Any
suggestions?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Sorry, I have no suggestions because I'm still slogging along with Firefox and ATT/Yahoo web mail, As of now, my next move will probably change my browser to Google Chrome and change my email client to gmail. Friends who took that route are well-sastified and wished that they didn't do it sooner. My hesitation is that I will be leaving the email address that I've had for at least 20 years. Look for another post when that happens.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.