Protect yourself online
flmimi's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, February 8th, 2018 7:35 PM

Closed

ATT.NET Threatening to Deactivate my Account???

Received an email with the subject: Your account will be deactivated, informing me that my request on (date and time given) to remove my account has been approved and will initiate in one hour from the exact time I opened the (email) message.

First of all, I made no such request and was not even on or near a computer or phone at the time and place stated.

The email goes on to instruct me (bad sentence structure and grammar, by the way) to continue with the removal I should ignore the message.  Otherwise I'm to reply to the email.    

This email was deposited in my Spam folder and not my Inbox and cam from (this is exactly how it appears): The att Accounts (customersupport@att.net).

HAS ANYONE ELSE RECEIVED ANYTHING LIKE THIS?  My gut tells me this is a scam so unless I learn otherwise, from a legitimate source, I am going to do nothing.

Any input would be much appreciated.  This is making me sick!

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Yes, I have the same problem right now. Supposedly, The sbcglobal Team wants me to provide my password to prevent deactivation. I am not giving my password unless I can verify that the notification from The sbcglobal Team is legitimate. I sent a response to the sender which showed as customersupport@att.net. When my first response was undelivered by Mailer-Daemon, I resent it. It was returned Undelivered like the first time. I sent another one today. This was also returned Undelivered.

What's going on? I am not receiving any email messages anymore. My accounts with this email are being compromised. I need help!

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

That's exactly the same wording in the notification I received from The sbcglobal Team. I'm concerned that my accounts using my sbcglobal.net e-mail address are being compromised. What do I do? I need guidance to protect my accounts.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

We need to hear from att.net/sbcglobal Team whether these notifications are valid or not. They cannot let this issue hang in limbo. They need to assure us that they have not sent those notifications and we have nothing to worry about. And, they can tell us to change our password to prevent our accounts from being compromised.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

I did not send my password either. No way, no how!  But, att.net/The sbcglobal Team should clarify with us that these notifications are from spammers and hackers and give us direction on how to proceed with fraudulent notifications.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

You're right. The supposed email address customersupportt@att.net has two "t"s in support. Good catch.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Please educate me. What's a webmail? Is that my email address? Where do I go to log into my webmail?
I want to change my password as you recommended in this notification.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Webmail is just as the name implies, you access the mail through a web page using your browser.  For att webmail go to the att home/portal page start.att.net and click the mail icon in the upper right.  I use the term "webmail" to distinguish it from accessing email through a email client app (e.g., Thunderbird, Outlook, mobile mail apps, etc.).

If you want to just change your password I recommend you change it through here.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I just received this e-mail today. The address didn't appear to have spelling errors / extra letter - it was "support@sbcglobal.net".

I forward these to the following addresses myself.

abuse@att.net

spam@uce.gov

reportphishing@antiphishing.org

phishing-report@us-cert.gov

I hope this helps.

Ron

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

They are persistent.  I've been getting an email almost every day since this started.  Slightly different each time, but yes, yahoo spam filter does catch it (along with a lot of good emails)

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

6 years ago

I get emails similar to it... I look at the e-mail address of which it comes and it is a spamming e-mail.  Don't get fooled by spamming. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.