Explore & discover

Helpful Links

ATT.NET Threatening to Deactivate my Account???

Contributor

ATT.NET Threatening to Deactivate my Account???

Received an email with the subject: Your account will be deactivated, informing me that my request on (date and time given) to remove my account has been approved and will initiate in one hour from the exact time I opened the (email) message.

First of all, I made no such request and was not even on or near a computer or phone at the time and place stated.

The email goes on to instruct me (bad sentence structure and grammar, by the way) to continue with the removal I should ignore the message.  Otherwise I'm to reply to the email.    

This email was deposited in my Spam folder and not my Inbox and cam from (this is exactly how it appears): The att Accounts (customersupport@att.net).

HAS ANYONE ELSE RECEIVED ANYTHING LIKE THIS?  My gut tells me this is a scam so unless I learn otherwise, from a legitimate source, I am going to do nothing.

Any input would be much appreciated.  This is making me sick!

Message 1 of 26

Re: ATT.NET Threatening to Deactivate my Account???

Please educate me. What's a webmail? Is that my email address? Where do I go to log into my webmail?
I want to change my password as you recommended in this notification.
Message 16 of 26
ACE - Expert

Webmail is just as the name implies, you access the mail through a web page using your browser.  For att webmail go to the att home/portal page start.att.net and click the mail icon in the upper right.  I use the term "webmail" to distinguish it from accessing email through a email client app (e.g., Thunderbird, Outlook, mobile mail apps, etc.).

If you want to just change your password I recommend you change it through here.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 26
Contributor

I just received this e-mail today. The address didn't appear to have spelling errors / extra letter - it was "support@sbcglobal.net".

I forward these to the following addresses myself.

abuse@att.net

spam@uce.gov

reportphishing@antiphishing.org

phishing-report@us-cert.gov

I hope this helps.

Ron

Message 18 of 26
Highlighted
Tutor

They are persistent.  I've been getting an email almost every day since this started.  Slightly different each time, but yes, yahoo spam filter does catch it (along with a lot of good emails)

Message 19 of 26
Teacher

I get emails similar to it... I look at the e-mail address of which it comes and it is a spamming e-mail.  Don't get fooled by spamming. 

Message 20 of 26
Contributor

i have had the same issues with this e-mail too 

Message 21 of 26
Contributor

I have had the same e-mail from these people and mine says customerssupport@att.net and i never requested to get rid of my service some one has got to stop who ever is sending these phony e-mails out to people 

Message 22 of 26
Teacher

I get that email on a weekly basis. Try putting it into spam. Seems to by pass the spam filter when I do it.

Those guys need to get a life that does not include us.

Message 23 of 26
Contributor

I have received this email on October 2018. I do not know what to believe, it has the att logo

We acknowledge receipt of your request to Terminate your Email Account.
Kindly note that your request is processing and your account will be Terminated within 72 hours.

If You did not make this request Cancel Termination Now.
Else All files on your Email account will be permanently Deleted and access to your account will be suspended.

There is a link to termination (2 times)

Thank You,

ATT Support Team

Message 24 of 26
Voyager

I've been getting these bogus messages for over a year.  There are often spelling or grammar mistakes in them and they are not all alike.  I couldn't find any way to actually contact ATT, so I registered with the community site.  Lots of other people are getting them, too.  They just ignore them.  I marked them as spam so I don't get them in my regular mail.  Good luck and don't worry about it.  The actual ATT company is not closing your account.

Message 25 of 26
ACE - Expert

@spams1 The email is not from ATT, it is a phishing scam. ATT would never send such an email. @droland If you want to report the phony emails, forward them to abuse@att.net

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 26 of 26
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support