For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
ATTHelpForums's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

2.7K Messages

Wednesday, August 1st, 2018 3:56 PM

Closed

AT&T New Mail

New_Email.jpgStarting September 5th, 2018 all .net ‘webmail’ customers will start to receive notifications about an upcoming email upgrade starting in October.  This new mail experience only affects ‘desktop’ webmail users and will include a more responsive ‘search’ capability, easier to use ‘settings’ menu, overall improved views, and much more!

FAQ:

When will I upgrade?

AT&T New Mail will begin to rollout to AT&T users October 2018.

Do I have to upgrade?

Yes, the planned upgrade will affect all desktop webmail users. 

What is changing?

Only the user interface for ‘desktop’ webmail.  The new email upgrade is designed to take advantage of today’s more modern and supported browsers.

What must I do to prepare for the upgrade?

The upgrade is simple - nothing in your email, folders, notes, calendar, or address book is changing. Your mailbox is only upgrading to a new and improved look and feel.  

If you’re using FireFox, Chrome, and/or a Mac based browser, just sit back, and relax. If you’re currently using Internet Explorer and or a Microsoft Edge browser older than 15.x then please upgrade your browser to a supported browser.

Helpful links are provided below:

Why are you telling me now?

We want to keep our AT&T mail users informed! We believe it is the right thing to do.

AT&TCustomerCare

AT&T Help

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

At least were having fun!!!!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Please, if you want me to use your web based email "app". Stop cramming my inbox with ads that I can't remove! Your "New and Improved" email is neither new nor improved. Just my $0.02 worth

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

PRdave,   Do you really think att is reading this forum? All about marketing with the new "improved" att email.

Also if your data plan on a cell phone is limited they make even more money by running you up in use.

Ask if they charge your data use for the ads and you will get no response.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

They might read it to give them a good laugh, but the service gets worse everyday.  I get multiple cryptic error messages every day and I spend a lot of time watching my little time dot swirling on my browser.  I don't know if it's ATT or the obnoxious Yahoo email and their heavily bias news.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

I think once ATT started to play with the various email services they use and the customer load for email access via their cell phones increased they must have realized their cell sites were overloaded and then the bandwidth reductions started for cell and landline. 

They sent all blackberry users an email telling them to reload their phones on the 22nd of December or suffer loss.

to me that's is the indication they wanted to move all users on this type service to servers with more of their control. Currently Blackberry uses full security encryption and that forces ATT to use servers that they do not control. All they can do is forward the emails to users and limits control.

I would suspect they are negotiating with Google to move their ATT email users to that service. Once that is done the marketing for ads sent with email will pay for any costs they incur. Then the real fun begins.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

As I have stated in a few previous posts, this is NOT an AT&T problem. AT&T contracted out email service a few years ago to Yahoo then promptly laid off the telephone technicians that maintained the servers.

Recently, Verizon purchased Yahoo! Does anyone out there seriously think Verizon is concerned about the quality of email service being provided to AT&T customers? Then please raise your hand now.

The ONLY concern about this issue is by the AT&T customers and NO ONE else. That is just the sad truth from an AT&T retiree.

One interesting note, iPad and iPhone users are not affected!

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

5 years ago

RE: "...AT&T contracted out email service a few years ago..."

Another ISP with several hundred thousand users pitched their email servers, and let another company do it.  Since this company, like Google's Gmail, is "marketing" these users, then is this ISP receiving yearly 'kick backs,' or did they just eliminate servers, and associated headaches?

A corporation has a legal duty to its shareholders to maximize profits...if a corp perceives a service can be eliminated, they will eliminate it.   Sadly, US consumers  do not have true privacy laws, and mining your internet habits is common practice today.  And ISPs have been selling customers data since earliest public internet days.  By later 1990s, there were email directories associating a person's email address to that person.

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

If AT&T hires them, then it is AT&T's problem, there is no other way to spin that period.

Mentor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

The problem is easy to see, Google is buying the corporate control of things like email and other things they can use for marketing. ATT and Verizon just like GM ( onstar) is making money by letting Google sell user info.

I suppose if they just keep the email addresses and don't try to force change to gmail then people will just let it go.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

5 years ago

Please let’s not involve Google into the mix. This is nothing more than transporting email. Hauling it, so to speak. AT&T simply contracted with Yahoo to transport email. Since AT&T is unionized, (Communications Workers of America, CWA) the cost of maintaining their email servers was much higher than that of Yahoo. It’s cheaper to pay Yahoo than to perform the service in-house. Now that Verizon has acquired Yahoo, they to are looking for ways to cut costs.

This is not about marketing or anything other than reducing the cost of transporting email. Currently WE pay that cost each month when we pay our AT&T broadband bill.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.