For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
dewey4unc's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, June 22nd, 2014 3:34 AM

restoral fee - $30 - for late payment!

hi. i had my dsl internet suspended for non payment 2 months ago for non payment. ok i pd a restoral fee of 23$. ok. now this month i pd 3 days late and they again charged me a restoral fee of 30$! ive tried to get live chat but its down and you cant call after 5pm. has anyone else had this happen to them? they gave me no notice until my bill came today. never said they would charge another fee for LATE payment. ive had never heard of such a thing.

thks

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@dewey4unc@  wrote:

hi. i had my dsl internet suspended for non payment 2 months ago for non payment. ok i pd a restoral fee of 23$. ok. now this month i pd 3 days late and they again charged me a restoral fee of 30$! ive tried to get live chat but its down and you cant call after 5pm. has anyone else had this happen to them? they gave me no notice until my bill came today. never said they would charge another fee for LATE payment. ive had never heard of such a thing.

thks

Everybody charges fees for late payments. Your mortgage payment, your creditcard payment, your gas, electric and water bills, and yes, your phone and/or internet bill.

Considering this is atleast your second time in less than 6 months with non or late payment, I would consider you lucky they have not gone further.

This is from the Terms of Service which you can find in it's entirety here:

http://www.att.com/shop/internet/att-internet-terms-of-service.html

6. Payment

Service customers agree to pay: (1) the monthly fee specified when you ordered your Service; (2) the charge for all equipment required for your Service; (3) activation fees, connection and/or installation charges, if any; (4) late fees, restoral of service fees and other applicable service charges; and (4) any applicable taxes, recovery fees and surcharges which AT&T pays to municipalities and other governmental entities and may pass on to you. 

a. Credit Check / Advance Payments & Deposits. Service customers give us permission to obtain their credit information from consumer credit reporting agencies at any time. If we determine that you may be a credit risk due to: (1) unsatisfactory credit rating; (2) insufficient credit history; (3) fraudulent or abusive use of any AT&T services within the last five years; or (4) late payments for current or prior bills, we may refuse to provide the Services or we may require an advance payment, a non-refundable payment, and/or deposit. Interest will not be paid on advance payments or deposits unless required by law. We may require special payment terms such as additional advance payments or deposits if we determine that the initial payment was inadequate. We may establish limits and restrict service or features as we deem appropriate. If your account balance goes beyond the limit we set for you, we may immediately interrupt or suspend service until your balance is brought below the limit. Any charges you incur in excess of your limit become immediately due. Upon determination solely by AT&T of satisfactory payment history or as required by law, AT&T may begin refunding of deposits through bill credits, cash payments, or as otherwise determined solely by AT&T.

f.     Late Payment & Failure to Pay. If you choose to have the charges for your Service added to your telephone bill, and, if AT&T does not receive your payment before the next billing date, you shall pay to AT&T a late payment charge and/or an interest charge of 1.5% (1% in Louisiana), or the highest amount allowed by law, on all charges due and unpaid. Acceptance of late or partial payments (even if marked “Paid in Full”) shall not waive any of AT&T rights to collect the full amount due. Notice of any disputes must be in writing and received by us within 30 days after you received your bill or you will waive any objection. AT&T may suspend or terminate Service if your payment is past due. If AT&T suspends your service for non-payment, you must pay all past due amounts in order to have service restored, and you may also, at AT&T’s sole discretion, be required to pay a service restoral fee.  In the event you fail to pay AT&T or AT&T is unable to bill charges to your credit card, AT&T may assign unpaid late balances to a collection agency.   You expressly authorize, and specifically consent to allowing, AT&T and/or its outside collection agencies, outside counsel, or other agents to contact you in connection with any and all matters relating to unpaid past due charges billed by AT&T to you.  You agree that, for attempts to collect unpaid past due charges, such contact may be made to any mailing address, telephone number, cellular phone number, e-mail address, or any other electronic address that you have  provided, or may in the future provide, to AT&T. For attempts to collect unpaid charges, you agree that in addition to individual persons’ attempting to communicate directly with you, any type of contact described above may be made using, among other methods, pre-recorded or artificial voice messages delivered by an automatic telephone dialing system, pre-set e-mail messages delivered by an automatic e-mailing system, or any other pre-set electronic messages delivered by any other automatic electronic messaging system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

i dont know where you come from joe, but none of my other utilities charge a fee for late payment. not my phone, water or electricity. ok, they charge when the service is suspended, thats fine. perhaps theres some sort of procedures they need to do to return service, but not when im 3 days late. mortgage and credit card companies are very CLEAR going in that they will charge for late payments, heck, its written on your bill, not hidden in a long list of terms and conditions. and they never warned me this was an outcome of late payments. not even an email. heck i got the notice of disruption 2 months ago on the SAME day they cut it.

a yr ago, they raised my bill from $39 to 51 w/no notice and i didnt wince. but i feel this is dishonest and very poor customer service. if i had been notified of this in advance i would not be so upset and would pay immediately.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

also live chat was unavailable last night, telphone customer service for DSL is not available on weekends so there was no one from att (unless you are, that i assume is true) was available to discuss my problem. this is unheard of in todays digital environment and AGAIN very poor customer service.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@dewey4unc@  wrote:
i dont know where you come from joe, but none of my other utilities charge a fee for late payment. not my phone, water or electricity. ok, they charge when the service is suspended, thats fine. perhaps theres some sort of procedures they need to do to return service, but not when im 3 days late. mortgage and credit card companies are very CLEAR going in that they will charge for late payments, heck, its written on your bill, not hidden in a long list of terms and conditions. and they never warned me this was an outcome of late payments. not even an email. heck i got the notice of disruption 2 months ago on the SAME day they cut it.

a yr ago, they raised my bill from $39 to 51 w/no notice and i didnt wince. but i feel this is dishonest and very poor customer service. if i had been notified of this in advance i would not be so upset and would pay immediately.

That's when I would've been calling in and raisinghell, and I do every time they try to jack my rates up, always with satisfactory results.

As far as where I'm from, it's the USA, and every bill I get, from anybody, usually has two amounts on it. One for if you pay when it's due, and another (higher) amount for when you pay late. As well, most of their billing departments are closed on weekends.

As far as being notified of any potential fees or charges. When you registered your service you would have had to click on the "I Agree" button for the Terms of Service. Whenever there are changes to the Terms of Service, or across the board price changes, you will get a notice either in your paper bill or by email (or both), and by continuing your service after that notice, you agree to the changes.

It seems to me that if you're not paying on time because you're mad about the bill amount, you're just punishing yourself.

If the cost is causing you financial hardship and/or making it difficult to keep up with the bill, or the bill due date is an issue, I would suggest you call the Retention Department on Monday. The quickest way in is to call the 800-288-2020 number, confirm your phone number when it asks (if calling from your home), and then just keep saying "none of those" to the rest of the prompts (be very persistent) and it will connect you to a real human within a minute or two. Tell them to transfer you to the Retention Department. Explain that you need to get your bill lowered and/or the bill due date changed, and I'm sure they will be able to help you to your satisfaction.

No, I am not an AT&T rep or employee. Just a long time forum member with a lot of experience with AT&T's ways.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I feel you! Im.so frustrated with them too! I signed up for the cheapest internet connection for $25 a month. It's super slow of course. I had a few late payments because they are slacking on sending the bills on the mail on time! I've been paying $81.96 monthly instead of $32.00 theyve charging me an extra $49.00 restoral fee!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm calling the utilities commission Monday! They owe me a refund, but won't pay, they charge me a restoration fee of 49.00 dollars! I've gone years with bad Internet service, always having device people to come out and fix it! They say they have, Not! Now I have uverse, they charge me a restoration fee! I can't help my husband doesn't get his disability until the first of the month! Before someone says something about being on disability, he is 62, and has ms! I'm 57 and going blind! Ok, we have it hard! We have very little joy in our life, why does at&t have to make it worse, just change my due date! 

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

AT&T are pros at this. They didn't send me a bill for two months when I called them repeatedly to do so. When my payment was made the day they shut my service off they charged me fees for two months! I have a $129 bill for only Internet and they said the charges are valid because they "mailed requests and called" which is not true because I received nothing and why if they're mailing "requests" didn't I get my bills I asked for? No wonder they lost a lawsuit for charging mobile customers fees for text they sent. They will continue to find a way to charge you extra.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.