For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
fayeblaylock's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, March 15th, 2015 9:43 PM

Wifi Password

How to I change my wifi password so people will have to ask me for and I want to make it private

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

9 years ago

Hey @fayeblaylock 

Just checking up on your post. Did aviewer's suggestion help you with this issue? What brand is your U-verse gateway? (2Wire/Pace or Motorola)

You can log into your gateway by using http://192.168.1.254. address in a web browser. Then it will ask you for the default password for the router which is on a white sticker on the side or bottom of the unit.

If you have a 2Wire unit, then you'll want to go to

1. Settings

2. LAN

3. Wireless (Example shown below)

2Wire WiFi Password Step 1.png

After that scroll down and then you'll see a "Security" section where you can change the password settings as shown below.

2Wire WiFi Password Step 2.png

If you have a Motorola unit then it will look a little different. Once you have it up you will want to select

1. Home Network

2. Wireless

3. Change security to WPA-PSK

4. Type new password

5. Save changes (As shown below)

NVG510 WiFi Security.png

I hope this helps! Let us know how it goes. 🙂

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

3 Attachments

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Do you know how to change the password? - here - http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

People will have to ask you for it & then they will know it. So, you would have to change it again to block them.

You could use WPS to allow sign on withgout "knowing " the password. It would only be in the computer. So, the computer would still have access until you change it.

Don't know if passowrds are viewable once in other networks or in yours when custom.

Best keep changing it if you do not want anyone to keep using it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I followed the instructions posted and changed the password however, when you type the URL in the web address you can see the password I used. How do I hide that? I have the SSID set to hidden however the URL 192.168.1.254 can still be found by typing it in on a laptop outside my home and when that url is accessed, there is the password

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@RhettVaughn   Well seems no need to go to RG Gui ouside the home, is there?  Then are you sure they know where your home is to go steal Internet?

Just seems easier to go war driving and get the mopes who leave their wi-fi unsecured.  Know I see one Xfinty unsecured in my neighborhood. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hi, I had a question, I do not have Urverse for AT&T but my grandmother does, she needs help setting up her internet, and we can't seem to find her wireless password on the router to log her into the internet. Where can I find the password on the router?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

The password is on a sticker on the side or bottom of the RG.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

This post was not answered, but I have the same question.  It isn't exactly helpful to say "go war driving."  Can anyone respond to Rhett's question with a meaningful solution?   

Mar 24, 2016 6:42:14 PM

(0)

• Rate this reply

•  

Contributor

I followed the instructions posted and changed the password however, when you type the URL in the web address you can see the password I used. How do I hide that? I have the SSID set to hidden however the URL 192.168.1.254 can still be found by typing it in on a laptop outside my home and when that url is accessed, there is the password

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

Once you change the password, then only people who have the new password could connect to 192.168.1.254 outside your home.  Thus, only people who already have the password could see the password.

From a security standpoint, no, not the best practice.

From a customer service standpoint, it makes it easy for the customer to connect a PC to the gateway using an Ethernet cable and see what the password is.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Got it.  Thank you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.