xdeus's profile

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

Thursday, February 13th, 2014 7:34 PM

When will AT&T increase 150GB data cap for DSL users?

According to AT&T, 2% of the users use 20% of the bandwidth and the average user uses 21GB per month.  How old is this data?  Also, if the data is outdated and the current average usage is much higher, when will AT&T adjust their data cap to reflect the increased usage?

I am unable to get UVerse where I live and unfortunately I am unable to get any internet provider other than satellite which is impossible to use for gaming.  I would appreciate an answer as to when I can expect an increase in the data cap or at least a reference to the current data usage of their customers.

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

10 years ago

Well, I just got off of the phone with an AT&T representative.  She was absolutely no help whatsoever.  She did admit that more people are using the internet and data usage is going up, but she couldn't tell me if or when they might increase the data cap level.  She did mention that she would bring it up at the next meeting.

She also told me that they weren't planning on using a roll-over plan even though their customers pay for a set amount of data, but she would bring it up at the next meeting.

Finally, she told me that even though my data monitoring software shows 10% under the amount that AT&T shows, they wouldn't be able to tell me how they monitor data usage or who certifies that it is accurate.  She did tell me that the government does not get involved, so essentially we just have to trust AT&T that their data monitoring is accurate.  It's not like they would profit by having innacurate data monitoring, now would they?  Good thing they're not being held accountable.  If I'm lucky, maybe she'll bring that up at their next meeting.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

**UPDATE** Switched to comcast.. to the plan in my previous post.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3375802745.png

and it was a painless transition.. thanks for opening my eyes with "data usage" ATT. Much oblidged.

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

10 years ago

Well, I think I'll finally come under my data cap this month after scrutinizing my data usage every day.  I HATE AT&T and this is some bull manure! (AT&T wouldn't let me use the acronym)   I don't ever remember having to watch my usage on using the house phone other than long distance, using Satellite TV or Cable TV.  It was UNLIMITED.  Take a few pennies out of your enormous profits and upgrade your outdated equipment so I don't have to watch every zero and one I pass through your precious lines.

Scholar

• 

109 Messages

10 years ago

We have the same problems. I have to monitor our internet data daily. I don't trust AT&T data usage reporting but there's nothing I can do about that. What get's me the most is that according to AT&T my internet service is coming from over 2hrs away from where I live. I still don't understand that one? I know that I will feel much better when they up the data cap limit.

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

10 years ago

This is getting ridiculous.  The USA ranks 31st in the world for dowlnoad speeds at 20.77Mbps behind countries such as Ukraine, Estonia, Hungary, Slovakia and Uruguay.  I get 6Mbps with a data cap and I live 45 minutes from SILICON VALLEY.   NOBODY at AT&T will answer me other than they will pass my message along.  THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  UPGRADE YOUR OUTDATED, OVERPRICED, MONOPOLY SERVICE!!

And while you're at it, tell your sales reps. to stop LYING to their customers and trying to convice them that 6Mbps is quote "LIGHTNING FAST!"...  or at least change the script they're forced to read.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I agree with all of you!! When we signed up years ago with att for DSL we were told it was unlimited! Who gives them the right to change the rules mid stream?And how rediculous to have to pay $10.00 for the extra 50 gb and only use 4.83 gb of it, with no roll over! We really don't know how accurated they are or how they are deciding what is counted and what isn't counted. You get different answers from different employees! There has to be some recourse for us and it isn't to change companies because they are the only company in most areas, besides going to a cable company which in the long run will cost a lot more!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

received an email today saying I was close to the 150GB limit.  I didn't know the limit existed until today.  I was a DSL customer since 1998 and never heard of a limit on DSL.  In fact, I always heard that was the one positive for staying with ATT was there was no limit.

Called ATT to confirm as ask them to remove the limit.  Got nowhere.

Called Comcast and ordered a package that will be faster internet, 300GB cap, phone and TV for less than I was paying for slow DSL.

AMF, ATT.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

They need to up the data cap. I have had att for over 10 years now. You're right about the fishy data collection. Heres a good read http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Taking-A-Closer-Look-At-ATTs-Inaccurate-Usage-Meters-113442 

I only watch Netflix at night and I watch it on low quality and only uses 0.3 GB a hour (says so on the Netflix website) and yet I keep going over my data cap. Please att, go back to no data cap.

Dan

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the link.  That's amazing, though.  That post is over 3 years old and it appears nothing has been done to correct their innacurate record keeping.  I, too, am monitoring my data usage and AT&T consistently shows that I use ~10% more data than I do.  They will not divulge how they monitor their data and they are not held accountable to any government agency.  They essentially get a free ride to monitor data usage and charge however they like.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

I haven't been able to view my usage since Monday (at that point, I was at the 115 gig mark), and my billing period ends tomorrow. This is the SECOND CONSECUTIVE MONTH where the ATT&T usage meter happened to go on the fritz with just a few days remaining. Not only is it WILDLY inaccurate in comparison to the usage reported by my router, the AT&T meter just stops working at random intervals. 

We are just supposed to accept the fact that this system of measurement is infallible, and hand over our hard-earned money based upon a usage meter that no one (that I've spoken to) at AT&T can even explain? 

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.