For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Blahbo's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 3:12 AM

Is my internet bandwidth shared with my U-Verse TV Bandwidth?

I've just noticed what I think is a correlation between my intermittient internet slowness, and my HD DVR recording activity.  When MY DVR is recording multiple programs... I notice my internet bandwidth decrease dramatically.  It gets so bad that if the DVR is trying to record 3 programs, I can't even download a song from iTunes.  I'm "paying for UP TO 18mbps"... but it sounds like that number is really only if I'm not watching TV, and the moon is full... and I stand on one foot, and touch my nose.

Anyone else?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Blahbo

IPTV bandwidth and your internet speed share the same wire but should not compete in providing service. However, vDSL impairments can negatively impact either or both. Take a look at your broadband statistics page, here are screen shots from mine:

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 2.05.20 AM.JPG

Please note the Max User Rate compared to User Rate and Rate Cap. As a vDSL deteriorates that 53,000 kbs will be a lot lower. A power cycle of your AT&T provided router/gateway will force the vDSL modems to resync, possible improving the numbers. Here are my errors from the same page:

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 2.06.17 AM.JPG

You should see low number here. 

2 Attachments

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

5 years ago

Yes. Fiber is just a pipeline for data, same as copper, except fiber can handle a bigger stream of data. The underlying technology remains the same.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

You mean it is covered n the fine print... So, I am dumping Uverse for PlayStation Vue and getting 50mps internet from another provider for half the price of ATT 25 Mbps internet. Seeing that I have to pay twice for Internet bandwidth to be used by my TV. Shameful...ATT is out of touch...

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Jdbkoh wrote:

...Seeing that I have to pay twice for Internet bandwidth to be used by my TV. ..

That is a gross oversimplification of the situation.

Best of luck with your new service. I hope it's perfect.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Is this also true for a customer who has Uverse TV and internet over at&t fiber - bandwidth shared between the two?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.