Insane packet loss.

Tutor

Insane packet loss.

I've had latency issues for quite some time, and working with tier II support just leads me to be told that the issue is from my hardware. Running pingplotter, I have a constant 75~85% packetloss on the first hop from my router.

Pingtest shows on average a 0~1% packetloss

Its very noticeable while playing online games at any time of the day, as it causes the latency counter in the game to bounce between 50~600ms on a constant basis on multiple games.

Is there a way I can get any form of assistance in this issue?

Packetloss.png

Message 1 of 21
ACE - Expert

Re: Insane packet loss.

Failure to return ICMP TTL-expired error packets on an ICMP ping packet with an expired TTL is not a real problem.  The AT&T routers are not configured to respond to these.

If you can demonstrate packet loss on actual traffic (rather than ping-plotter or traceroute tests), then you may have a situation that someone can help you with.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 21
Tutor

Like I've said, during gaming some of my games will looks like a slideshow, others will have people teleporting around or the combination of the two with 600+ms delay, but I really dobt ATT cares about gaming or will send a tech over to verify I'm constatnly droping packets.

Message 3 of 21
ACE - Expert

AT&T does want happy customers.  What I'm saying is that your ping plotter says next to nothing that will help with your latency issues.

A sporadic 600 ms latency issue could be caused by a great number of things.  One could be contention for the upstream.  Another could be wireless interference in your home (are you connected wired or wirelessly?)

Do you have more than one PC?  Maybe you could open up a command window and do a PING -t to the game server and let it run while you play, then check to see what happens to the PING's latency when you're having game issues.

Do you have any automated online backup that could be firing up when you're having issues?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 21
Tutor

I've already disconnected the other two PC's in our home, I've got a monitor watching my upstream/downstream. While my my computer was the only one connected while gaming using .033MB/.015MB and having the same issues.

None of us use wireless, and I have it disabled.

This is a snippit from the ping -t while playing. I don't use Automated backup.

http://i.imgur.com/Q6MSMEt.png

Message 5 of 21
ACE - Expert

What kind of RG do you have?  Is it UVrealtime compatible?

Message 6 of 21
Tutor

What do you mean by RG?

Message 7 of 21
ACE - Expert

AT&T calls the combination modem/router the Residential Gateway, or RG for short.

Looking for the manufacturer and model number.

Also, do you get these long ping times only when playing, or all the time?

Message 8 of 21
Tutor

Motorola NVG510.

I also get really long page load times, and the ping is almost constant.

Message 9 of 21
ACE - Expert

Okay, so you have the ADSL2+ version of U-verse, and your router does not support UVRealtime.

If you would, please take your browser to http://192.168.1.254 and browse around until you find the broadband statistics page.  Capture a screen shot of that and paste it into a reply on this thread.

Message 10 of 21
Tutor

Well, this was the router I was issued.

How would I go about fixing that.

Stuff.png

Message 11 of 21
ACE - Expert

You can't fix that.  UVrealtime is a program written by another U-verse subscriber and only supports the 2WIRE 3600, 3800, 3801 and i3812 RG's.  UVRT doesn't support any Motorola RG or the newer PACE ones.  The NVG 510 is the most common RG in use for ADSL2+ U-verse.

You also can't fix the ADSL2+ service; it's a factor of where you live.  VDSL2 is available where they've run fiber optic cable out to the neighborhood to a box called a VRAD, which allows for the shorter (under 1 mile) requirements of VDSL2.  VDSL2 is faster and more reliable than ADSL2+ (largely due to the shorter loop length).  ADSL2+ replaces ADSL where AT&T hasn't yet rolled out VDSL2.

Anyway, this is good information; you've got a 12 Mbps down/1 Mbps sync rate and few errors recorded; assuming you haven't recently reset your RG, it's looking pretty good.  The only thing that looks fishy with your signal numbers is the upstream Signal to Noise ratio (SN): I'm thinking 10.2 is sort of low, but I'm just another customer, not an AT&T tech.  I'm also wondering why you have IPv6 traffic being counted.

Do you have any other issues with your service other than high latency to game servers?  Speedtest.net and pingtest.net numbers look good most of the time?

Message 12 of 21
Tutor

Usually. Pages load slow, .webm files only load half the time. Pingtest/speedtest look good unless it prime time.

I think one of the web sites I frequent might use IPv6. I'm also the last house at a end of the line, so this is the best signal quality I can get.

Is there a Router I can buy to stop this problem?

Message 13 of 21
Scholar

Based on other articles I've read, this may be tied to a problem uniquely associated with the 510 RG. It is a DNS resolver issue associated with that RG and the particular DNS sites coded into it. Check out this article about half way down:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/toolshed/motorolas-nvg510-dsl-modem-not-very-good

It's just one of many citing this very issue.

PS - just found this previous forum post:  

http://forums.att.com/t5/U-verse-Internet-Service/AT-amp-amp-T-finally-fixed-DNS-issue-on-Motorola-N...

Message 14 of 21
ACE - Expert

@Sandpipers , I don't follow how a DNS resolver issue results in high latency to a site to which a connection has been established.  Could you enlighten me, please?

Message 15 of 21
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the internet boards! Check out our troubleshooting articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Service acting up? Click here to troubleshoot now!

For DSL related issues. We highly recommend chatting with our teams to address this as quickly as possible.

Additional Support