Fletch23's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 4:03 PM

How can I turn off my u-verse internet at night so my kids can't access the internet after 11pm

I have been trying to turn off the internet access at night, so my kids won't be on-line when they should be sleeping.   I can physically turn off the device and unplug it, however, I was hoping we could set a paremeter that just turns it off every night at 11pm.

Any insights are appreciated.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

It cracks me up that MA BELL is suggesting to take a box and collect all devices.  So - the technology money grabber's solution is sneaker net???  LOL!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

Who is MA BELL?  @mibrnsurg?  I don't think so but thanks for the laugh.  Smiley Very Happy

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

Guess they never catch the last line in my signature, simply a U-verse user and nothing more. Smiley LOL

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

If you are able to access and set up a Microsoft account, you can then use Microsoft Family Safety. You can shut the internet down at a  certain time on specific days, and also set a limit on the amount of time they can use, both which are great.  You also can block specific websites, toggle them off and on.  The only problem w/ the latter is that you have to use it thru internet explorer or firefox, and my teen uses chrome, but maybe I could put chrome on the forbidden list, forcing her to use internet ex or firefox as her browser?  (Hmm, will think on that.)   Also, it seems that you can not target an iphone as a device fhrough micro family, so Iḿ still stuck needing to shut off her phone & text capacity in some way (another post- bedtime temptation).  For that, I have been using ATT smart limits (you pay), which has some nice features such as toggling data useage on or off, and specifying specific shut down times.  However, even with the date useage disabled, Iḿ still left w/ her then using wifi on her phone to text (text for free sites, & thru social media) .... so thatś my current delimma, so any ideas about how to shut down her WIFI temporary.... other than changing the router password which also blocks out  every device in the house (till I tell them the new password), and easy to change back if sheś being difficult.  Ive been wondering if I can use her IP address to shut her wifi down temporaryily, off and on as needed. Does anyone know?  Finally: she then uses a friendś hotspot to access wifi ....  so I need to find a way to shut down the hotspot capacity on our att account, not sure if that can be done.  OM Gosh, It would be SOO much easier to just get the darn basket and demand the phone from her!! Maybe Iĺl resort to that if these hoops are too cumbersome...  but shes a strong willed 17 year old & won;t drop it in the basket w/out a battle, Iḿ sure. I clearly have lost my way if I think THAT will be worse than trying to figure out this ŕestriction maze! Whew.  Someone needs to come up w/ one app that will do it all!! In closing,  I must say that its Comforting to know Iḿ not the only parent flailing around w/ this, so those of you who have a clear 1-2-3 hoop jumping sequence, please do share!! (or those with a backbone, give me a "ẗoughen up!"pep talk!)   Thx!(:

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I agree!  I spoke to a rep before I signed up with AT&T and he told me I would be able to control each device individually and pause Internet individually.  Turns out this is not true!  I am very frustrated.  Now I have to cancel service and have Xfinity reinstalled.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I had Netgear before installing AT&T this week, and the Netgear modem/router was great!  I could do exactly what you are requesting.  I could see a map with each device connected to the internet, and I could "pause" the connection for each whenever I wanted to using an app on my phone (Netgear Genie).  I could also put certain IP addresses on schedules to automatically block Wifi access at given times.  I cannot believe AT&T does not provide this.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

6 years ago

You can control each device individually if you connect a third party router (that provides that functionality) between those devices and your AT&T Gateway.  The AT&T Gateway will not do it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.