Rose49240's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, January 4th, 2014 1:49 PM

How can I get DSL or Uverse service in my area?

Hi, We moved to the Waterloo area in Michigan 6 months ago.  The only internet service available to us is slow and unreliable.  We also pay a prime price for that service.  Since I work from home, it is critical that I have dependable service that can support a VPN connection. 

We have AT&T phone service and are very interested in subscribing to either DSL or Uverse.  I know of others in this area who are also interested a high speed internet service.  Like us, they also pay a prime price for their service.  How can I get AT&T internet services extended to my area?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@Rose49240 wrote:

Hi, We moved to the Waterloo area in Michigan 6 months ago.  The only internet service available to us is slow and unreliable.  We also pay a prime price for that service.  Since I work from home, it is critical that I have dependable service that can support a VPN connection. 

We have AT&T phone service and are very interested in subscribing to either DSL or Uverse.  I know of others in this area who are also interested a high speed internet service.  Like us, they also pay a prime price for their service.  How can I get AT&T internet services extended to my area?

If DSL is not currently available in your area, it likely never will be as AT&T is in the process of phasing it out. That does not mean that Uverse will not be available in the future.

If you've already gone to the AT&T site to check availability of DSL and/or Uverse internet and left an email address to be notified of availability, the only other thing you and your neighbors can do is wait.  Nothing you can do will affect current or pending deployment of service and no one at AT&T can/will tell you when or if it will be available

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

In my experience this usually means upgrading areas that already have multiple service options (cable, dsl, fixed wireless). I just witness this firsthand across from my workplace. They just installed U-Verse where cable internet, dsl, fixed wireless, and 4G (for both Verizon and AT&T) are available. However, I am still being offered dial-up in an area that has had 2-3 full DSLAMS in a 2 mile radius for over 3 years. On the edge of this 2 mile radius is U-Verse and Charter.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

See my Saga of almost the exact same issue in another Small Michigan Community here:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Internet-DSL-General-Care-and/Internet-Availibility-and-Network-Ports-Nodes-Full/td-p/3847729#.UtAFI7Tyako

Unfortunately, I had what I thought was multiple leads fizzle out time and time again.  Most promising is to PM the ATT customer Care group, who a forum admin should point you to soon.

If they get you hooked up with the oddly named 'Office of the President' they have the power to do things that the front line of phone reps will not even discuss.

Good luck to you, I hope you are able to get a solution.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I hope that aint true.  That is such a crock if it is.  I hope and pray I'm not stuck with LTE forever where I live.  Data plans and having sattelite TV is way more expensive than having a uverse bundle.  No netflix, no gaming, no anything but browsing lightly.  I have over 30 houses around me (rural area) in a 1.8mi radius. 7 houses are right next to me.  I got the huge phone box (sorry I dont know what its properly called) about 30 yards from me.  I see a guy out there nearly every day.  I ask him about uverse and he has no clue.  I've seen them survey near that box and flag the field for 2 years now and nothing has happened.  I really wish there was a way to get them to hook us up.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

So, in other words, if U-Verse will never be available where I live and they phase out DSL, I will have to sell my house and move where something is available or lose my job?  My at-home job does not allow satellite, cell data, or wireless internet.  It has to be DSL, U-Verse, or cable.

I also think it is ridiculous that AT&T cannot at least give us paying customers an idea of when or if we will have U-Verse available.  The cable company refuses to come into our neighborhood because we have less than 200 homes.  If AT&T says the same, then I see this neighborhood becoming abandoned because no one will want to live here.

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

9 years ago

AT&T won't do anything unless they are forced to or if there is a huge profit for them.  Internet services should have been classified as a utility a long time ago, but the Telcoms and Cable providers have enough money to sway the politicians thier way and screw over the consumer.  Take a look att this article which tells how AT&T is stopping the rollout of their fiber service until the net neutrality issue gets resolved: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2472059,00.asp

As it is, AT&T have been dragging their heals for years to rollout upgrades because their monopoly is already making them buttloads of money without additional investments.  They couldn't care less about their customers, and it shows with the amount of complaints on these boards and the internet as well as the enourmous profits they make.  Your best bet would be to find an area with Google fiber or a city-owned internet infrastructure.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.