Dutlive's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Sunday, June 29th, 2014 2:43 AM

High Speed Internet Equipment Fee

I ordered AT&T Uverse internet as a self-install  (no TV or phone, just internet).  There was a one-time equipment fee of $100.

After some problems with installation and delays in getting service, AT&T agreed to waive the equipment fee.  However, I just got my first bill and notice a $7 monthly charge for "High Speed Internet Equipment Fee."  Does this mean I will be charged $7 a month instead of the one-time $100 fee?  Or does it mean had I paid the $100 one-time fee I still would've been charged the $7 monthly fee?

I'd rather pay $100 once then $7 per month indefinitely, but the whole point of not paying the $100 equipment fee was AT&T's way of making it up to me for a botched installation experience.  Am I now paying MORE for equipment?

I just want to make sense of this fee to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.  

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

Initially, there was both a $100 fee for the equipment and a $7 monthly fee.  The $100 fee was waived.  (Is it correct that both fees would apply to an account?)

I've sent a PM once and that rep called me to say the $7 fee was because I have the option to add TV and Phone service to my account (even though I don't want it).  I threatened to cancel and she called my bluff and said "ok would you like that effective today?"  Clearly they're not too worried about losing my business.

Point being I don't know if another PM will help.  It seems the fee is just the cost of doing business with AT&T.  I may respond to see about the cost of buying a router and returning my existing one.  It may save me in the long-run.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

If you purchased the 3600 for $100, you should not be paying rent.

However, when you say the $100 was waived... do you have a bill showing a $100 equipment charge and a $100 credit against that charge?  Or did you just never get the $100 equipment charge.

The 3600 can't get TV, so that's a B S claim.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

I never received an official bill with the $100 equipment charge.  I received a Customer Service Summary with both the $100 one-time and $7 monthly fees.  

It took so long to get my first bill (due to the installation issues) that by the time I got my first bill AT&T had already agreed to remove the equipment fee, so when I got my official first bill the $100 fee was not on it, but the $7 monthly fee was.

Does this change anything?

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

Just so I have all my "ducks in a row" is there EVER a situation where a customer would be charged both fees?  (the $100 one-time and $7 monthly fee?)

I just can't wrap my brain around the concept of selling a modem to somebody and then charging them rent for it.  Seems like it would always be one or the other.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just want to have all my facts straight.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

Great.  Thanks for your clarification.  Per your suggestion I did send another PM, at the link you provided, last night.  I did notice the message went to a different department than my first PM, so hopefully that will get me in touch with someone that can help.

I'd also like to thank you (and Chris and "my thoughts") for understanding my dilemma and working with me to get it resolved.  I can't tell you what it's done for my sanity to have the three of you in my corner, even if those I've spoken with at AT&T (and there have been many) are not quite understanding the situation.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

The link Jeffer provided worked!  I finally talked to someone who not only agreed to waive the $7 monthly charge but also apologized up and down and confirmed that everyone I had talked to prior had gotten it wrong.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum for their help!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

9 years ago

I am necromancing this thread to post an update:

As of January 2015, AT&T is no longer selling RGs.  If you have a customer-owned RG, you can continue to use it without paying the $7 RG fee until it has to be replaced; at that point you cannot purchase a new one, you will have to rent it.  If you set up a new account, you cannot use a previously purchased RG to avoid paying the $7.  

Mentor

• 

99 Messages

9 years ago

So JefferMC you are saying my old gateway/modem for internet and phone only is a doorstop? If I drop U-Verse TV I can use my old gateway/modem BUT HAVE TO PAY 

a monthy fee?

Richard

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

According to a conversation I just had with a social media manager that I contacted through the link in this thread, is it no longer possible to have the equipment fee reversed.

It also may be questionable if buying your own device like on ebay or Amazon, even if identically AT&T branded , will work as AT&T may have the abillity to detect that its MAC address is not authorized for use on your account -- so in other words, if you device fails you have to wait and suffer downtime until they send you a new one, which probably may not even be the same device that you like...

FYI I am on a single pair line using the NVG510 which according to this thread was allowed to be purchased without requiring the fee but apparently no longer... I am beyond frustrated by this unfriendly and sneeky policy by AT&T.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

9 years ago

I have the NVG510 which I also purchased off CL to avoid the equipment fee. Why rent when in less than a year you can recoup the cost, right? Wrong, even though I bought my own modem they are now, like right this second, telling me on the phone that the system will not let them remove the cost. 

"It's the cost of servicing the modem with the internet" - This is the completely idiotic!

I pay ATT $57 for servicing the modem with the internet! Why would I pay another $7 for you to service the equipment. It's MY EQUIPMENT.  I bought it. I own it. Feel free to charge me for your equipment, but this is mine. UNREAL. FRUSTRATING.

This is a total fraudulent charge. I am now on hold with a manager who is talking to someone else to see what they can do. I feel duped. I will definitely be looking into alternatives. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.