guysmom's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, May 2nd, 2015 7:08 PM

Does live chat use REAL people or CHATBOTS??

Just had quite an experience over 2 days with "live chat". Day 1 I THOUGHT my problem was solved with "James", and felt relieved. Day 2, I realized the billing problem still existed, so went back on chat with "Victor". What got me thinking was the "robotic" sequence of questions asked each time, in the same order. Now, I realize reps will have "scripts", but it just didn't make sense to me inside. So I asked "Victor", "Are you a real person or software bot?" I never got an answer. I asked several times "Are you a real person?" ....No answer. So finally I asked, "Look, I want to know that a real person is helping me, so I'm going to ask you a question....which famous shortstop on the New York Yankees just retired?" Victor's response was: "I'm going to transfer you to a supervisor who can help you with this.".....THEN........about 2 minutes later, AT&T DISCONNECTED THE CHAT!!! Very interesting!!! Anyone else with similar experiences????

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

8 years ago

Real people. Here is the link to more info on how to get started: Online Support Chat.

Dmitriy

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

Every time i've used LIVE chat, it used LIVE real people, hance the name.

Not to say, I got equal service in each experiance, but I can say, I was happy with the results from the live chat, more often that not happy.

But yes, it is real breathing human beings on the other side of the conversation.

OR, just to play devils advocate, the AI's are so good, you can't tell the differance.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

True enough about the sports question........but IF "Victor" was a real person, why couldn't he have just answered, "I don't know....I live in the outer hemisphere." .... or something like that??? I still have my suspicions!!!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Tigereyze, How can you be SURE you had a live person??? When I "chatted" the first time, I, too, thought it was a live person. But when I chatted back the very next day, and the "responses" were SOOoooo scripted and robotic, then I started having suspicions. And WHY couldn't "Victor" simply have responded, "Yes, I am a real person, just like you!" when I asked the question. But "he" NEVER responded to that question, even though I asked it several times! And if he didn't know the answer to my questions, he could have simply said, "I'm sorry, I don't follow sports" or something like that. But his answer to connect me to a supervisor to help me with my question really made me wonder if "he" was a software bot........and I really think "he" was!!!!

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

Hi:

I have gone into the chat several times with different questions/issues. I never even thought that I was not speaking to a real person.  He just may have not totally understood what you were saying possibly. I had also been disconnected - it happens.  I just called back and I know it is a pain because you have to repeat yourself, but that is what I did. They have always been very courteous.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

How can I tell it is a real person? Fairly simple: I have a working brain.

More likly, the person you are talking to is from another country, and one, english, even written, is not their first language, and two, they are often working from a script, and when you get off script, they have no idea how to respond.

I was born, and raised in the usa, and I can assure you, I would be almost clueless on most sports trivia, unless I litteraly googled it real time.

Also, parsing AI's do not exist. (yet, if ever.)

Also, if you were paying attention, it was also mentions, often, they are helping more than one chat, and can get lost easy.

And too, management is pretty insistent on following that script.

but hey, its a free country, so you can beleive whatever you want. Enjoy your reality! Sounds really nice in there!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

If it is a real person, then I am certainly not impressed with their grammar, syntax or typing speed.  This took 3 minutes to write: "Thank you so much. I will pull up your account and check how happened on why did you receive the message. and ill be back after two minutes to partner with you and discuss the message on your account."  Looks as if they are a native chinese speaker who used babelfish to write a message, but then they went back through and made it even less readable.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Tigereyze209, before I say anything, there is no reason to respond rudely to people who have legitimate questions.  I can tell you're an intelligent person.  I believe it is the responsibility of people like you to raise the bar for conversation on the internet.  You're smart.  You don't need to make other people feel stupid.  

On to my question!  I'm curious what you mean by "parsing AI's do not exist."  If you're talking about just regular old parsing, I'd say that Google has that down.  If you mean AI that can understand language, I'd say that "OK Google" and Siri have that pretty well covered and will only get better.  If you mean bots that can carry on conversations, they have been around for a while.  If you use online help frequently, you've probably chatted with one of them and were none the wiser.  I'm 100% serious.  No alternate fantasy reality needed, because this one is just as interesting if not more.  There are bots that have "passed" the Turing test, actually.  I put passed in quotes because the person who created the bot put stipulations on the test.  They said that the boy on the other end was not a native English speaker, so the users couldn't tell if it was a real boy.  That's cheating in my opinion.  There are also scripts out there where bots talk to bots.  They get pretty interesting.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

You know, this was a fun topic to comment on at first.. but has, sadly, become tedious.

I am done with it.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

7 years ago

ATT can frustrate me like nothing else. Yes I had a time where after having to give all of my account info, etc., was then asked how they could help me. I then asked for info on something only to get a reply that they were sorry but their system was down and I would have to try back later. Infuriated I asked why then they made me go through all the questions with account info and again received exact response about their system down and I have to try back later. I again asked same question and GOT THE SAME FREAKING RESPONSE. I only like to use online chat so I have everything in black and white. Tired of calling several times on same problem and getting completely different answer each time. This really matters when the situation involves pricing. I too have been disconnected at such times convenient for ATT.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.