Jim N GA's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 5:12 PM

DSL Usage: Bad Business Practices

I have been trying to review my DSL usage for a couple of years, ever since the caps were announced. I always get a message:

• High Speed Internet Data Usage Since Last Bill Details
  •  We're unable to display your usage right now. We'll alert you via email whenever you're nearing your data plan limit.

This has always concerned me, since I don't get any detail on my bill, and I have no way of checking usage. Now I have gotten an email that we exceeded our cap last month, but again, no detail or data about exact usage. How can I adjust my usage if I am not allowed to see it?

This is a bad and capricious billing practice, threatening me to bill for overages without any accountability on the part of AT&T.

Please release my account from the Data Cap, since AT&T is not providing adequate detail on usage they plan to bill overage charges.

Jim MItchell

[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello Jim,

I'm sorry you're having some issues with your usage information, our team will be happy to help you with whatever we can, you can send us a private message by clicking here. In your message please include your full name, phone number, account number and the best  time you can be reached.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I will send it when I get back to NY desk. This answer still needs to be made public. Many in the community have no trust in the usage numbers AT&T slings.
--
Jim Mitchell

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

While it is terrific that folks are willing to help, on a case by case basis, this IS a topic of concern to ALL DSL customers, since it does seem that for whatever reson, most of us can't actualy access the information, yet, since folks are still getting charges for going over their data limit, SOMEONE can see it.

I know plans are to eventualy phase out DSL, but we are still here, and will be, for the forseeable future, so somone should address this issue. Rather un-nerving to log in, do stuff, and HOPE you don't go over, but one also does not want to UNDERUSE it either, or what is the point of the connection in the first place?

My two cents worth.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I have the same issue.  I received an email two days before the end of my billing period saying I was at 90% and then I am billed for two additional 50GB blocks!  When I want to see how much I used there is no way to view the previous month's usage, just the amount I was billed!  Very sketchy way to do business.  No transparency.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

8 years ago

This is a very old thread, in referance to a time when the dsl's usage meter was not functioning.

It has since been re-instated.

They do NOT say how actual usage is determined, but i can say, based on the network meter monitoring program I installed on my system, their usage is at least 10 per cent higher than what my monitor says.

At least it gives me a ball park figure that is more than just a guess.

Here is the direct link to get your dsl usage: https://www.att.com/olam/passthroughAction.myworld?actionType=HUMCurrentUsage

A couple points to keep in mind:

Your dsl is run by a unit of att seperate from your billing etc.

Your usage is billed based on the calander month, not your billing cycle.

The reported usage is always at least 2-4 days behind actual usage. A point to keep in mind when you are nearing your cap.

You are the first person I have read that actually got a warning about 90 per cent of maximum usage. Great you got it, but as i said earlier, it could be 2-4 days behind actual usage, and you could have already exceeded your alloted data limit by the time you read the e-mail.

To be fair, i HAVE been able to get reports of previous months usage by going to the reports tab, and picking past dsl usage with the starting and ending dates you want the report for. (I am including a sample of a report i just did, to show, it CAN be done.)

It would be nice if they did not enforce data limits, like u-verse. BUT, since they plan to shut down legacy dsl, they have no incentive whatsoever to do anything to imporve it.

Hope this helps.

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it answers my current concerns about transparency on the previous months bill, however. I was watching my usage daily using the usage page you linked to. Once the month ends, however, that page is no longer available and monthly usage in the reports page does not offer the most recent month as an option either. So, given I had data remaining a couple of days before he end of he month, I'd like to see how much I used by day to get charges for over 50gb over my allowance.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.