DSLBob's profile

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

Monday, March 18th, 2013 10:57 PM

DSL Static IP / Landline change

I have had ATT dsl Static IP since 1999.  It is currently at dsl Pro (3 meg down).  I also have a ATT landline that gets very little use.  I pay $25 for internet and about $24 for measured rate residential basic phone.

I would like to get a smartphone and cancel the landline.  That would keep my dsl (dry loop) and the cell phone # would get a ported # from the former landline.

Upon checking I am in a Uverse area for Internet only....if that makes any difference.

I don't mind going to dsl/Uverse internet Pro dynamic IP as long as I don't have to pay alot more... ie <$30.

Can this be done?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

581 Messages

10 years ago

Hi there. 

For clarification, once U-verse is offered in your area, you will not be able to make changes to your DSL service. 

If you switch from DSL to U-verse, you will be able to keep your AT&T email address.  ~Delia

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

DSLBob,

Thanks for stopping by the forums. I have include a link below that will let you check what's available in your neighborhood and the prices for each package.

AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet

James

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks James....yes Uverse Internet (only internet) is available in my area.

So, in answer to my question... If I cancel my landline I will lose my dsl internet?

I pay $25/month dsl........the Uverse is $30/month for 12 months after that it is $41/month!  Ouch!

I pay $49/month for both dsl and basic rate landline...so seems the best bet is just pat.

DSLBob

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

@DSLBob wrote:

I have had ATT dsl Static IP since 1999.  It is currently at dsl Pro (3 meg down).  I also have a ATT landline that gets very little use.  I pay $25 for internet and about $24 for measured rate residential basic phone.

I would like to get a smartphone and cancel the landline.  That would keep my dsl (dry loop) and the cell phone # would get a ported # from the former landline.

Upon checking I am in a Uverse area for Internet only....if that makes any difference.

I don't mind going to dsl/Uverse internet Pro dynamic IP as long as I don't have to pay alot more... ie <$30.

Can this be done?

DSLBob,

You actually don't have to have DSL and a phone line, you can cancel your landline and just keep DSL, dry loop just like you mentioned so you will not lose your DSL internet.

It seems like the Uverse Pro is 3MB as well so I feel you should just keep your same 3MB DSL that you already have, that way no service interruption and the old saying comes into play, If it ain't broke don't fix it. Someone might point out some Pros though. Or you can cancel phone and get the Elite for 46 per month, get 6MB and not only will you save three dollars you will get rid of a phone you're not using and get a higher speed internet that you will be using.

I am in the same situation in my neighborhood, I can't get the video portion of Uverse so I'm holding out until I can.

James

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

@ATT_James wrote:

DSLBob,

You actually don't have to have DSL and a phone line, you can cancel your landline and just keep DSL, dry loop just like you mentioned so you will not lose your DSL internet.

It seems like the Uverse Pro is 3MB as well so I feel you should just keep your same 3MB DSL that you already have, that way no service interruption and the old saying comes into play, If it ain't broke don't fix it. Someone might point out some Pros though. Or you can cancel phone and get the Elite for 46 per month, get 6MB and not only will you save three dollars you will get rid of a phone you're not using and get a higher speed internet that you will be using.

I am in the same situation in my neighborhood, I can't get the video portion of Uverse so I'm holding out until I can.

James

Wow!   Everything I have read says if I cancel my home phone, landline, I will lose my DSL and have to go thru a new install with Uverse.

Q1.  If I call in to CSR what do I ask or say in order to keep my current DSL w/o the phone (ie dry loop)....so I can substitute Wireless phone instead.

Q2.  I would like to have the wireless in place prior to landline cancellation.  Therefore, I would like to Port the landline # to the wireless and cancel at the same time, leaving DSL untouched.  Can this be done as well?

Q3.  Do you know if I will keep the same DSL pricing as I have now as well as the static IP?

I am being very inquistivie because i asked on another forum and got a different answer......albeit not an ATT person......I am bwclark asking............

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28113405-Port-landline-to-Smartphone-Keep-DSL-Pro-service

by David... "uhh, then I recommend not changing a thing. The minute that lineshare line goes
dark, your IP's just went bye-bye with no method of recovering them! it's
considered loss of grandfathered status on change. The other thing is if you are
in a uverse converted area you won't get the DSL pro back either.

I would highly suggest pre-qualifying your address first and make sure you are not in a uverse converted area. You can check that online at uverse.att.com
Another thing I find with DSL and dry loops on marginal lines."

James, If you disagree with this comment by David, please say so......

Thanks for the info.  Very helpful.

Bob

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

11 years ago

James,

Second thoughts!

After reading this:   http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Details-on-Rumored-New-ATT-UVerse-Speeds-123593

perhaps it is time to cancel my existing phone & dsl and go to the Uverse internet and wireless for phone!

Looks like higher speeds will be available via the Uverse method and staying with dsl will just keep me in the 20th century longer.

Q.   I assume I can keep my existing pacbell.net email accounts with the move?

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

@DSLBob wrote:

James,

Second thoughts!

After reading this:   http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Details-on-Rumored-New-ATT-UVerse-Speeds-123593

perhaps it is time to cancel my existing phone & dsl and go to the Uverse internet and wireless for phone!

Looks like higher speeds will be available via the Uverse method and staying with dsl will just keep me in the 20th century longer.

Q.   I assume I can keep my existing pacbell.net email accounts with the move?

DSLBob,

Nice article, I love how speeds are getting faster! The only information I can find for continued use of an email account was for keeping an email after discontinuing service which I have included below. Before any change of service I would back up your contacts and make sure your password and lost password retrieval is set up, just to be safe.

I called over to the business office and they informed me that yes, you will keep your email address.

What happens to my existing merged Yahoo! ID after my AT&T service is disconnected or canceled?

James

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I pay $36 a month for Internet DSL service which drops constantly and is extremely slow plus same situation as you a land line that doesn't get used but I pay about $30 a month averaging $60 monthly bill - ridiculous.  Most of my land line bill is taxes, services and fees - actual phone service is $14.95.  

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Interesting, I called and asked about dropping land line and just keeping DSL Internet and I was told it would be a $45 reconnect fee to change to just Internet service.  ATT would have to disconnect internet and land line and then reconnect DSL line.  What is wrong with this picture?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

It's now 2016.... I have Uverse. I have Internet and landline. These days, can one still disconnect the landline and keep the DSL? Any concerns?  Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.