For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Orcman440's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, June 5th, 2014 1:07 AM

DSL Speed cut in Half

Hello ATT & The ATT Community. My name is Orcman440 and I'm just one of many of your loyal customers. Due to my current financial situation, I can afford the cheapest speed which is 768 kps. You know, the basic stuff. Which is fine. After a year or two, you get used to slower speeds. However, at the end of april, my internet had gotten slower than usual. Slower to a point that I have to refresh the webpage a couple of time before it finally loads. I've been doing reaearch on my own in trying to fix the problem and so far I managed to get this. 

DSL Line (Wire Pair):

Line 1 (inner pair)

Protocol:

G.DMT Annex A

Downstream Rate:

224 kbps

Upstream Rate:

384 kbps

Channel:

Fast

Current Noise Margin:

6.0 dB (Downstream) 9.0 dB (Upstream)

Current Attenuation:

63.0 dB (Downstream) 31.5 dB (Upstream)

Current Output Power:

14.7 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)

DSLAM Vendor Information:

PVC Info:

0/35

Also I found a few temporary alternatives on getting my speed back. For example, at 1 AM I can reset my modem system and it goes back to its intended download speed. However, that only last till 5 or 5:30 AM. 2 hours more or even the whole day on the weekends if I'm lucky. Here's another recorded data when its running at its intended speed.

DSL Line (Wire Pair):

Line 1 (inner pair)

Protocol:

G.DMT Annex A

Downstream Rate:

768 kbps

Upstream Rate:

384 kbps

Channel:

Fast

Current Noise Margin:

9.0 dB (Downstream) 13.0 dB (Upstream)

Current Attenuation:

63.0 dB (Downstream) 31.5 dB (Upstream)

Current Output Power:

16.0 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)

DSLAM Vendor Information:

PVC Info:

0/35

Anyways my point is can anyone tell me what is causing my internet to run at a snails pace. Also what are my options on fixing this problem. I mean since I'm paying for these rising prices, can I atleast get the full services that come with it and not just half. Thank you in Advance. Another thing I want to add is that I have a 2wire 2701 HG-B Gateway that's been with me for more than 6 years. Not sure its helpful information, but I just want to put that out.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I have this same exact problem, and i'm fairly sure a very large portion of their DSL customers also have this problem.

I have a 3mbps plan currently and i get disconnected at least once every 15 minutes, it used to be a bit better a couple of years ago, but it steadily gets worse and worse. I've never once been connected for more than a full day. I've had multiple techs sent out here, all of them say the same thing; "There's a problem from the "box" end." This means it's on AT&T's side, and they've never once charged me for the visit, yet they've also never addressed the issue, i've never seen any improvement, and i've recently seen a significant reduction in average speeds.

With U-verse, it's only gotten worse, and i suspect this is being done on purpose so that people will be more inclined to upgrade. This is evident by the fact that it's actually possible to get the advertised speeds on occasion, so there's nothing actually wrong with the connection, even with the higher speed connections it's possible to get very good connection speeds to certain websites when using a VPN which masks your traffic. "Coincidentally", the websites that a VPN helps with are things like; Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc; these are websites that provide content and media which competes directly with the television services that AT&T "coincidentally" also provides for profit. Hmm, i wonder why those specific sites run so slowly on an AT&T internet service?

Their excuse is that: "There simply isn't enough 'internetz' to go around." Thus the slow-downs, they assume people are so stupid that they'll believe that bandwidth is some sort of finite resource. Well, it's not, it's not like water, or oil, or even electricity. The reason why it's so slow is for a few reasons, and all of which are entirely the fault of the service provider, and all of which could have been prevented. First is the fact that the infrastructure in this country has been left in the stone ages even though AT&T (and other major ISP's) receives tax incentives which are supposed to go towards improving the infrastructure; this was part of a little thing called the Telecommunications Act of 1996.

Second, AT&T is supposed to pay for the capacity when a subscriber pays their monthly bill. There is absolutely no excuse for AT&T to not be able to provide the advertised connection speeds to 99.999% of their subscribers; AT&T is not the actual service provider, they're basically the carrier, they're supposed to pay the provider for access with part of the payment received from the individual subscriber, that payment is supposed to make sure that there is enough ports for each subscriber (customers; you and me) to get the connection that we're paying for, but it's become painfully clear that AT&T has not been paying for the access that the subscribers are paying them for, probably so that they can take home a larger profit. Being paid to do nothing is a great business model, apparently.

Third, the major websites that generate the most traffic on the internet, groups like; Google, Netflix, Hulu, etc. they all know that the ISP's are throttling connections to their websites, so what these groups have done is offered to help improve the speeds by paying for servers and to help pay for infrasctrucure improvements. Yet, AT&T (and other ISP's) have refused to actually take all of this free hardware and money being offered by major websites, with no reasons given. I'll give you the reason; they don't want the speeds to be improved to these sites, because they're in a competing business, that's a simple fact. I would be surprised if the copper infrastructure actually lasts another 10 years, the ISP's are already starting to abandon it, our barely functional connections are a sign of this, and the fact that fibre isn't offered everywhere shows that AT&T simply doesn't care.

This all inevitably leads to the hindrance of innovation, entrepreneurship, and even education of the general population. This is as bad as limiting access to schools or libraries, possibly even worse, since we're paying twofold for our internet, first from our taxes, and then from our monthly bill.

These are the reasons, but the worst thing about this is that there is no alternative or fix (at least nothing you or i can fix), all the major ISP's will give you the same if not worse.

Within the time it took me to type this post, i was disconnected six times.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Well that's food for thought. It raises my suspicion more on how ATT runs their business with their customers. I mean its wierd to me that these couple of years I have been using a basic speed connection with no problems, but in these past couple of months, I can barely reach up to the speed of dail up. If ATT is purposely hindering my connect speed, then they must want me to upgrade to what they want. Once I try to see if I can upgrade back to DSL pro, the customer rep said they dont offer in my city. Which is wierd because I had pro for about five years or more. I even have past bills that said they used offer it in my area, yet can't find any records of me having dsl pro. However, they be happy to give me U-verse which I don't want. I already tried it and I had a bad experience with it. 

Eventually, it seems that I have to go to uverse anyways. From what the rep said, ATT is going to get rid of DSL. Not sure it was true or he was trying to trick me. Even if it is true, not sure how long they're going to keep dsl till they certain uverse has a good hold on thier victims --- err -- I mean customers. I guess I don't really have much of a choice here.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.