Explore & discover

Helpful Links

ATT - YAHOO - OATH - SBCGLOBAL.NET STATUS

Highlighted
Contributor

ATT - YAHOO - OATH - SBCGLOBAL.NET STATUS

I also recall ATT indicating recently (2018) that it had recovered SBCGLOBAL.NET from Yahoo. Yahoo is now owned by Verizon and OATH, thereby subject to OATH's TERMS OF SERVICE - TOS.

With that announced recovery of SBCGLOBAL.NET by ATT, it was also announced that current SBCGLOBAL.NET email users would not be subjected to OATH's TOS, but instead, said users would be legacy bound to ATT's TOS, and that our existing SBCGLOBAL.NET email addresses would work without interruption or any further regard for Yahoo, Verizon, or OATH - and that as SBCGLOBAL.NET accounts we would not have to make any changes to our email accounts for functionality or TOS revisions to those that we had previously with ATT when they first worked with YAHOO to manage our email and other YAHOO services via their website, web email, content displays, etc.

Since i have been harassed to accept the new OATH TOS every time I try to fetch my SBCGLOBAL.NET email, I have not accepted those OATH Terms. As a consequence to my refusal to accept, YAHOO has been holding my SBCGLOBAL.NET email hostage, refusing to let it download normally to my desktop ever since October 1, 2018 - it is now October 24, 2018.

YAHOO MAIL again requested that I update my SBCGLOBAL.NET user password on my desktop Mac. I no sooner when I did, YAHOO again harassed me to accept the OATH TOS.

HERE'S WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO HAPPEN NEXT, WITHOUT FURTHER DELAY:

• I don't want to have anything to do with OATH and their invasive and aggressive Terms of Service, with hostage tactics of holding my email from downloading to my desktop computer as they continue to get me to comply.
  • I want ATT to honor my loyal participation with ATT as a long time paying customer for their Internet Service Provisions, my house land lines, and my family cell phone accounts - all of which have SBCGLOBAL.NET email accounts - such that I can, and my family can, continue to use our SBCGLOBAL.NET email accounts divorced from YAHOO/VERISON/OATH without any further disruptions, and subject to the legacy terms that applied when we first signed up with ATT for our SBCGLOBAL.NET email accounts - less any mention of being subjected to other Terms of Service by others than ATT.
  • i want to be able to use ATT Web Mail services, such as ATT MAIL to view, download, send, (Including any and all attachments), delete, and manage my SBCGLOBAL.NET account just as it had always been prior to YAHOO & OATH.
  • I RECOGNIZE THAT I CAN OPEN EMAIL ACCOUNTS WITH OTHER EMAIL SERVICE PROVIDERS, SUCH AS COMCAST.NET, GMAIL, HOTMAIL, and those offered with Domain Registrations in my own name. I get that, but with years of placing my SBCGLOBAL.NET email address on countless forms, many having to do with government, financial, medical, the contact lists belonging to my family/friends/associates/business contacts, and social media services I find that encumbrance caused by ATT's deteriorated relationship with YAHOO to be totally deplorable and most unprofessional, a total disregard for customer loyalty and pledged services that were offered to me when I first decided to sign up with ATT for my complete Internet experience for many years to come with out necessary changes to my profile information that includes my SBCGLOABL.NET email address spread all over the globe!
  • I HEREBY REQUEST A FULL EXPLANATION BY ATT THAT CLARIFIES OUR SBCGLOBAL.NET ACCOUNT STATUS RELATIVE TO ATT RECOVERING SAID DOMAIN FROM YAHOO AS PREVIOUSLY ANNOUNCED BY ATT. 
Message 1 of 2
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎11-07-2018 11:18 AM

Re: ATT - YAHOO - OATH - SBCGLOBAL.NET STATUS

I also recall ATT indicating recently (2018) that it had recovered SBCGLOBAL.NET from Yahoo. Yahoo is now owned by Verizon and OATH, thereby subject to OATH's TERMS OF SERVICE - TOS.

I don't know what you mean by "recovered" but the only thing that happened is the accounts were "unmerged" from yahoo.  Nothing more.  

With that announced recovery of SBCGLOBAL.NET by ATT, it was also announced that current SBCGLOBAL.NET email users would not be subjected to OATH's TOS, but instead, said users would be legacy bound to ATT's TOS, and that our existing SBCGLOBAL.NET email addresses would work without interruption or any further regard for Yahoo, Verizon, or OATH - and that as SBCGLOBAL.NET accounts we would not have to make any changes to our email accounts for functionality or TOS revisions to those that we had previously with ATT when they first worked with YAHOO to manage our email and other YAHOO services via their website, web email, content displays, etc.

Don't know where you saw that announcement but yahoo remains att's email service provider and as such is subject to OATH.

In theory you shouldn't have had to make any changes.  Accounts and passwords should have continued to work.  But if you were using email client apps instead of the webmail and those client apps were using yahoo's email servers you should have to change them to the att/yahoo email servers specified here.  Those att/yahoo server setting were unaffected by the unmerge and clients using them before the unmerge should have continued to use them after the unmerge.

Since i have been harassed to accept the new OATH TOS every time I try to fetch my SBCGLOBAL.NET email, I have not accepted those OATH Terms.

You are "harassed" every time you need to log into the webmail because you are not accepting those OATH TOS.   However, accepted or not, by now continued use of the service is implied acceptance of their TOS.

As a consequence to my refusal to accept, YAHOO has been holding my SBCGLOBAL.NET email hostage, refusing to let it download normally to my desktop ever since October 1, 2018 - it is now October 24, 2018.

YAHOO MAIL again requested that I update my SBCGLOBAL.NET user password on my desktop Mac. I no sooner when I did, YAHOO again harassed me to accept the OATH TOS.

It's not being held "hostage" because you aren't explicitly accepting. The OATH prompt and your account password have absolutely nothing to do with each other.  You're not the only one who had a merged legacy account unmerged and has had email problems, most commonly account login problems.  Other problems are trying to log into att webmail and end up in yahoo.com or vice versa.  For those kind of problems I just say call the Digital Assistance Center (877-273-2728).

You say you changed your password.  So when you dismissed the OATH prompt were you able to get into your webmail (I'm assuming you are trying to go through start.att.net and clicking the mail icon i the upper right)?  If you got in I would expect it should be working correctly so your only complaint is the OATH prompt.

If you are using email client apps they may or may not work using your updated password.  They should, but if they don't it is recommended you use a secure mail key in place of the password in your client(s).  Read this (which includes a link to how to create a secure mail key).

Why all these problems since the unmerge?  Because my theory is att and yahoo botched the unmerged and screwed up the account data for the accounts involved.   Had you not said you changed your password I would have told you to do that, not for any security reason, but only to get the account data rewritten to (hopefully) correct it.  That works for some legacy account users.  As for the secure mail key for email client apps not only does that avoid fetching the account password from the account data it's just the right thing to do anyhow for additional security.

HERE'S WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO HAPPEN NEXT, WITHOUT FURTHER DELAY:

Gee so demanding.  It certainly has no meaning here since you are posting to a public forum and I'm a user just like you.  You're in the same boat as all other att/yahoo users.  Accept the OATH prompt to get rid of it or continue to dismiss it ever time you need to log into the webmail.  If you want to avoid that prompt then use an email client app.  But prompt or no prompt, webmail or email client, if you continue to use att or yahoo (or even AOL for that matter) for your email service then you are under OATH.  There's no escape (other than another email service provider).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 2
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support