tojumikie's profile

Explorer

• 

13 Messages

Sunday, April 7th, 2013 7:31 PM

250 gB data limit for at&t?

hi, I am considering switching from Charter Communications to AT&T for internet. While i was searching Google, i came across an article that says that there is a 250 GB limit for internet. Is that true? I am a PC gamer that used 509 GB of internet last month. I did a lot of filesharing through bittorrent (324 GB) not illegal stuff, just the battlefield 4 17 minute video and daemon tools lite, along with some creative commons music shared free online by the artists, for example, dj shadow. which was the majority, and the other data was from watching 1080p gameplay videos and uploading my own gameplay videos. On charter's terms and conditions, it says 100 GB max, but everyone knows that the terms and conditions are from 2007, which need to be updated. Charter has stated in their terms and conditions that it is 250 GB max, but they have not called me nor warned me once, i guess because charter is okay with people going over 250 GB and none of my other fellow PC gamers that also have charter that go way over the limit, they have not been called by Charter once? Charter is getting a bit more expensive after 12 months, so i am thinking of changing companies. How does AT&T treat customers that go over 250 gB? Does AT&T not care, or does the worst case scenario occur and i suddenly find a huge bill coming to me? When i asked Charter about the limit all they said was not to worry about it, and i was ok

also for your gigabytes do you use binary system of measurement or easier system of measurement (1024 mB=1 gB or 1000 mB=1 gB)

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

@jeff3558 wrote:

@hpmsrm wrote:

Don't know what kind...or how densely populated your neighborhood is...  But we had a similar problem with evening-time slow downs and I solved it easily:

In our neighborhood.....with very large number of U-verse & ATT DSL subscribers....the rather narrow 2.4 gigaHertz Wi-Fi band was simply overloaded.  Folks would come home....grab a bite of supper and hit the Internet.  Our 18 mbps service would grind down to, sometimes, less than 1 mbps.  Sometime's my wife's iPad would just yell "uncle" and just refuse to download anything.

I went to the store....purchased a NetGear Dual Band router....connected it to the RG via Ethernet.....turned off the Wi-Fi in the RG.....and switched our entire home network over to the 5 gHz Wi-Fi band.  The NetGear system practically sets itself up if one just follows the simple instructions.  Now her iPad....iPhone....my Android phone....laptop....and desktop are all on the higher frequency band.  By running the Innsider program I now know that we are the only household in the neighborhood using this band.  When neighbors complain about their slow speeds in the evening....I clam up. (not very nice, huh).

Well seeing as how I am directly wired it has nothing to do with it.

You're right. Smiley Sad

Scholar

• 

186 Messages

11 years ago

Are the even enforcing it? When I had DSL they couldn't even get the meter to work right if at all.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

ATT bills us $10.00 for each 0 to 1 Gbyte over the 1st 5G used in 30 days.($50.00 minimum for the 1st 5G)  

We were okay with that because we rarely used over 5G.so we signed up.

PROBLEM: The Gbytes are accumulating faster than what we are using!  We don't watch videos or download big files.  We receive and send a few emails, and Google for info, and go to FB.  but we are racking up G-bytes over 3 times the amount we ever did with our Sprint W-Fi .  The service is a bit faster (12-50 MB/sec) but we aren't using it any more.  When I compare the total bytes sent & received in a session on the only computer in use, the ATT Wi-Fi usage meter shows up to 10 times the actual total used. 

Our new billing cycle started at midnight.  I turned on the WiFi then my computer.  I have received 3 emails incuding the one to activate this forum, and looked around this website.  The Unite meter has gone from 0 to to.21 G already (210MB)!  The computer shows less than 45MB sent & received.

(We also have a wireless base ATT home phone w/o internet that is added to our bill.)  

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

They do enforce, and when it happens it will hit you like a brick, because its a cap set at 2005 usage patterns or worse.

These days people buy all their games off services like steam, just a halloween update for team fortress 2 for instance has been over 600mb+ already alone, if you had two pc's with that game good god.

The 150gb cap is ridiculous, and even the "unenforced" u-verse one is unreasonable, they set it arbitrarily and in the future when people start streaming more 1080p content and totally live on the cloud and worse, then they will clamp down...and your time will be wasted as you scramble to find alternative providers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

so let me get this straight so I myself can do or suggest this solution whenever I receive the customers call about issue. just change the mghz in netgear router? is it only w that specific router netgear? because I have noticed that option in other modems 2wire,netgear7550,pace411n I WOULD DEF LOVE TO FIND AN ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION HERE PROVIDED whenever i get that angry customer again. please let me know thanx! KUDOS!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have no knowledge of this.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I was considering switching from Cox Communications to AT&T U-Verse, but not after reading the paltry sum of 250 GB allocated per month per account.  Cox provides me with more bandwidth and if I pay an extra $12/month I'll not only get 50 more GBs, but I'll also get 100 Mbit/sec throughput.

Dear AT&T, please note, the way to woo me over from Cox is to provide me with a higher cap, I don't need faster, and you can't beat cable on speed, but you could win on raising your cap.  EVERYONE is watching movies, TV episodes, social networks, photo uploads and downloads, (legally) sharing Indie music, playing online video-games, downloading apps, downloading extra video game content, etc.  Get with the times and increase your Cap.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Comcast is unlimited

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

the cap is enforced. I have been hit with ovrages in the tune of $10, $20, AND $30.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@jamijuneevans wrote:

the cap is enforced. I have been hit with ovrages in the tune of $10, $20, AND $30.

If you have Uverse, you're the only person I've heard of that they enforced the cap on. You must really be blowing the doors off that 250GB limit.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.