tojumikie's profile

Explorer

• 

13 Messages

Sunday, April 7th, 2013 7:31 PM

250 gB data limit for at&t?

hi, I am considering switching from Charter Communications to AT&T for internet. While i was searching Google, i came across an article that says that there is a 250 GB limit for internet. Is that true? I am a PC gamer that used 509 GB of internet last month. I did a lot of filesharing through bittorrent (324 GB) not illegal stuff, just the battlefield 4 17 minute video and daemon tools lite, along with some creative commons music shared free online by the artists, for example, dj shadow. which was the majority, and the other data was from watching 1080p gameplay videos and uploading my own gameplay videos. On charter's terms and conditions, it says 100 GB max, but everyone knows that the terms and conditions are from 2007, which need to be updated. Charter has stated in their terms and conditions that it is 250 GB max, but they have not called me nor warned me once, i guess because charter is okay with people going over 250 GB and none of my other fellow PC gamers that also have charter that go way over the limit, they have not been called by Charter once? Charter is getting a bit more expensive after 12 months, so i am thinking of changing companies. How does AT&T treat customers that go over 250 gB? Does AT&T not care, or does the worst case scenario occur and i suddenly find a huge bill coming to me? When i asked Charter about the limit all they said was not to worry about it, and i was ok

also for your gigabytes do you use binary system of measurement or easier system of measurement (1024 mB=1 gB or 1000 mB=1 gB)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

tojumikie,

Here is some information on ATT's broadband usage that should help you out.

Broadband Usage FAQs

Thank you,

James

(edited)

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

I think this is what you're looking for:

How much data is included in my AT&T Internet service?

If you get AT&T Highspeed Internet (ADSL) there is an enforced 150 GB cap, although they'll usually give you a warning on first couple of infractions, and then $10 per 50 GB over the cap.

If you get Uverse Internet (ADSL2/2+ or VDSL) there is a 250 GB cap, which at this point in time is not being enforced, although, because it's already in the Terms of Service, they could start enforcing it at any time, with the same warning scenario described above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Explorer

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

oh no extra 10 dollar for every 50 gB over the limit? thanks, but i will stick to my existing internet service provider.

thanks for a quick reply, i appreciate it.

do you have any high bandwidth options though since i would be considered a high-traffic user?

Explorer

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

thanks i'll think about this a little longer.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

yes there is a 250gb limit if you have U-verse and will be billed $10 for every 50gb you use over your 250gb cap

also there is a 150gb limit if you have DSL and will also be billed $10 for every 50gb you use over your 150gb cap

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

11 years ago

Do yourself a favor and just stick with what you have.

AT&T is a terrible company and will not even make an attempt to fix the service that they sell that is not working properly.

My average D/L speeds from 4PM until 12AM are well under 350K  and get as low as 28K, since AT&T is the only provider I can get internet service from, and the fact that they know that gives them free reign to tell me "If you don't like it you can cancel, we are not going to do anything to fix you DSL service, our focus is on UVerse now"

You can see the eveidence posted by me a few threads down, completely untouched by AT&T, they won't even acknowledge it publicly.

If you are still considering it you need to do some searches about the D/L caps they impose and the 'fuzzy' math they use to calculate.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@jeff3558 wrote:

Do yourself a favor and just stick with what you have.

AT&T is a terrible company and will not even make an attempt to fix the service that they sell that is not working properly.

My average D/L speeds from 4PM until 12AM are well under 350K  and get as low as 28K, since AT&T is the only provider I can get internet service from, and the fact that they know that gives them free reign to tell me "If you don't like it you can cancel, we are not going to do anything to fix you DSL service, our focus is on UVerse now"

You can see the eveidence posted by me a few threads down, completely untouched by AT&T, they won't even acknowledge it publicly.

If you are still considering it you need to do some searches about the D/L caps they impose and the 'fuzzy' math they use to calculate.

You could always get 3G/4G/LTE or satellite service from Hughes or Dish.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

11 years ago

@Computer-Joe wrote:

You could always get 3G/4G/LTE or satellite service from Hughes or Dish.

Actually I can't get satellite service.

3G,4G or LTE maybe but at an extreme cost for more than just the lightest use. How about I'll just stick with what I have and the dirtbags at AT&T make it work properly.

You know what though. AT&T could make the service work like it should, like it had been working  until they changed something. Whatever has happened has been something that AT&T did, either in the (over?) consolidation of the cabinets as other U-verse builds were brought online, or they hacked off too much bandwidth.

It is industry standard to oversubscribe the service, but as you have fewer users that X amount of bandwidth is allocated for as the number of maximum users continues to decrease the ratio of bandwidth that needs to be allocated must be increased to prevent extreme decay in speeds during peak times.

I don't care about your badge or your status on these boards, you are a 'fan boi' of AT&T. You do not know the situation I am in, you either have not looked at my thread or simply have not commented in it, either way I really couldn't care less.

Within the rules of the board I will tell other people just exactly what to expect from AT&T, when a company tells a customer of 20 years - "If you continue to complain and have tickets opened on this we will declare your residence unserviceable then terminate and deny you service" there is a big red flag.

Slowdown and congestion during peak hours is normal and to be expected, getting speeds of 56K even 28K on the worst nights for HOURS on end is not slowdown. It is not acceptable under and circumtance to allow the service like this to continue knowingly and AT&T is doing just that.

I have AT&T cell service too and the coverage in my area is terrible there are dead spots all over the place, or the cell tower is extremely overloaded, my guess is the former. I can be sitting on my couch, on my back porch and have one bar adjust myself ever so slightly and immediately have a full strength signal.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

To Jeff3558:

OK....I'll give this a try.

Don't know what kind...or how densely populated your neighborhood is...  But we had a similar problem with evening-time slow downs and I solved it easily:

In our neighborhood.....with very large number of U-verse & ATT DSL subscribers....the rather narrow 2.4 gigaHertz Wi-Fi band was simply overloaded.  Folks would come home....grab a bite of supper and hit the Internet.  Our 18 mbps service would grind down to, sometimes, less than 1 mbps.  Sometime's my wife's iPad would just yell "uncle" and just refuse to download anything.

I went to the store....purchased a NetGear Dual Band router....connected it to the RG via Ethernet.....turned off the Wi-Fi in the RG.....and switched our entire home network over to the 5 gHz Wi-Fi band.  The NetGear system practically sets itself up if one just follows the simple instructions.  Now her iPad....iPhone....my Android phone....laptop....and desktop are all on the higher frequency band.  By running the Innsider program I now know that we are the only household in the neighborhood using this band.  When neighbors complain about their slow speeds in the evening....I clam up. (not very nice, huh).

Since the original switch over....I have had our DVR moved back to the computer room....right next to the RG and the STB that was back there is now in our living room in the center of the house.  The dual band router has been moved to the living room also and is connected to the system through the data port on the back of that STB.  It all works perfectly.  We have coverage all over the house.  Our printer is low band only but it is served adequately by the dual band router which operates simultaneously on both bands all the time.  Everything else is on 5 gHz.  We now can run tests anytime of the day or night and see download speeds of 16.5 to 17.5 mbps.....very close to what we're paying for.

Now I don't know if this could be your problem.  But it sure might be.  A given amount of bandwidth can handle only so much crowding before things start to go to pot.    This has worked just great for us.  Why don't you give it a try?  The NetGear N600 dual band router retails for about $79.95.   Most stores will accept a return if it does not work for you.

As for wireless phone signals....

Don't know what make of phone you have...but when I got rid of my darn Samsung Solstice II and bought a Motorola Atrix HD my signal strengths went up and THAT was the end of the dropped calls and calls that would not even ring through.

That's my piece.  Take it or leave it.

Scholar

• 

104 Messages

11 years ago

@hpmsrm wrote:

Don't know what kind...or how densely populated your neighborhood is...  But we had a similar problem with evening-time slow downs and I solved it easily:

In our neighborhood.....with very large number of U-verse & ATT DSL subscribers....the rather narrow 2.4 gigaHertz Wi-Fi band was simply overloaded.  Folks would come home....grab a bite of supper and hit the Internet.  Our 18 mbps service would grind down to, sometimes, less than 1 mbps.  Sometime's my wife's iPad would just yell "uncle" and just refuse to download anything.

I went to the store....purchased a NetGear Dual Band router....connected it to the RG via Ethernet.....turned off the Wi-Fi in the RG.....and switched our entire home network over to the 5 gHz Wi-Fi band.  The NetGear system practically sets itself up if one just follows the simple instructions.  Now her iPad....iPhone....my Android phone....laptop....and desktop are all on the higher frequency band.  By running the Innsider program I now know that we are the only household in the neighborhood using this band.  When neighbors complain about their slow speeds in the evening....I clam up. (not very nice, huh).

Well seeing as how I am directly wired it has nothing to do with it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.