For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Xeekks's profile

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

Friday, September 22nd, 2017 2:18 AM

No one knows why I have an optical cable jack on my wall, so how do I find out who does?

A few months ago a no-name contractor put thick fiber optics in the ground to all the buildings, a few weeks later a different contractor ran sheathed strings in the walls of all the apartment units, sometime later actual AT&T employees came in a fleet of trucks and installed a fiber optic jack on the wall in my living room. For the most part, the apartment complex and those installing haven't given much details so I just waited. Today two sales guys came to my door trying to sell me AT&T service and I thought "Finally!" I'm eager to drop Comcast and give AT&T buckets of money, but the sales guys said only 100 mbps was available, phone sales says 18 mbps, at one time the website only said 6 mbps was available.

I just want to know what the story is about the optical jack they installed on my wall, when will it be available? Will it be a year? Should I just sign contract with Comcast? Surely someone at AT&T knows what's going on.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

7 years ago

Each building has 8 units, the complex as a whole has 32 buildings, so that's 256 units. The first contractors that came out wore orange generic "Contractor" t-shirts and wouldn't tell me anything. The contractors that came to run sheaths and strings identified themselves as AT&T even though they were a third party from out of state. Finally a fleet of AT&T trucks (no exaggeration) came in and guys that looked like hardcore engineers put the thick cables in boxes on the side of the buildings and installed optical jacks on our walls, one of them told me this was AT&T Gigabit, like Google Fiber, but he had no idea when it would be able to be ordered. It took them a couple of weeks to complete that work. So now here I am a month later wondering if they forgot about all the work they did and no one in sales on the phone or at my door has a clue.

The first thing they did was run these very very thick cables underground up to my apartment building:

Then they ran smaller fibers into the units and in the wall:

Then they put this fiber optic jack on my wall:

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

That's the wiring job they did? Man Surprised  Just a bunch of exposed cables running up the outside of a wall?  Sheesh! 

I don't understand that jack?  If that truly is a fiber jack then wouldn't that mean they would have to install an ONT inside each apartment that has one?

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

7 years ago

The wiring outside has since been cleaned up. It was just rolled up, but now it's in a permanent position on the building. The wiring coming from the top of the building is now inside an enclosure. They put a jack like this in every unit in the complex.

Apartment management has says they've completed work in the apartment units, so I'm assuming they'll put an ONT next to the optical jack when they are ready to install service ... if I could only order it.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

6 years ago

Ordering has started. I'm good to go.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.