Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
hamopr8r's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, August 17th, 2017 2:15 PM

Fiber Plans Honest answer

I am a 12 year ATT customer using internet only: ADSL on copper pair running 25mb/S.

Yesterday I saw an ATT van outside at our pedestal. I asked when Fiber was going to be lit. He said now, my neighbor is getting 1Gb today. He also said available speeds were in steps from 3Mb/s to 1 gb/s although uplink was 5X less than down which I thought was interesting.

Knowing ATT will eventually get everyone in our neighborhood onto fiber by raising prices on ADSL, I started a chat line with ATT to see what speed vs price could be obtained and convert now. Turned out chat (guy named Joseph) said my current 25mb/s would be replaced by internet 50 for the same price I now pay, so I signed up.

Order confirmation Email this AM says new service will be setup next week but the price was $10 more than I agreed to.

Calling ATT on the phone to determine what happened, customer service lady said the problem was the introduction speed was 100 mb/s not 50 and if I signed for a one year contract my costs would remain the same as today. She said after one year the price increases $20 but I could negotiate a lower speed to get back to today's price - fat chance. So I cancelled the order immediately.

I'm really fed up with these antics by ATT, having been through them before with bundling, etc. But wanted to ask anyone's thoughts on how to get an honest answer to make decisions on what to do. I just want a service with known speed, no promotion, and fixed price.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

​Hi Bloomin, See my original post on this board as an ATT person kindly
responded with price tiers for Fiber. After my original post and before the
info of today, I went to an ATT store to ask the price tiers for fiber. She
told me the only two speed tiers were 100M and 1000M confirming the
forum reply of today. The price for 100M today was $70 going way up after a
year (confirming the work order monthly price). ​1000M price was so high I
didn't pay attention.

My current ADSL neighborhood loop only supports 25 Mb/S (the original
installer 10 years ago told me) and the price is set at $60 per month where
as the fiber promotion seems to be $70 going way up after a year as I saw
on the order confirmation, that got all this emailing started.

ATT will want customers off ADSL onto Fiber since they went to the expense
to put it in and don't want two types of equipment to support. Maybe it
will be worth the pain to see what promo prices are later and they won't be
as high as quoted today. Since 25 Mb/S is satisfactory for my needs, all I
wanted was to get fiber at the same price, speed (chat man said 50Mb/s was
start point) as today, saving the migration headache price increases sure
to follow.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

​Thank you Adam. With all the options, no wonder​ ATT workers had different
stories of the availability of plans. In general they indicate only 100 and
1Gb are available with fiber but even today at COSTCO the DirecTV person
mentioned a bundled 50mb plan which confused me again. So it's nice to have
the full picture to make an informed decision. Deciding what plan(s) at
this time is needed and I will be back to ATT soon. ATT is a quality
supplier and I've been a 10 year customer.
​ Thank you for the assistance.​

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you. 10 year customer using Uverse ADSL internet only right now. So, very happy with ATT. Trying to get fiber but confusing offers. Now think I know options. ​

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I had an AT&T sales rep come to my house the other day and tell me that AT&T fiber services were now available in my neighborhood.  I was on my way out, but told them I'd research this and call AT&T later if I was interested.  Later that day I called AT&T and was offered the "Internet 50" fiber plan w/ 12 month commitment for $40/month.  I ordered that service, and received an email acknowledging the order, and that equipment would be shipped to me as it was a self-installation.  I then received subsequent emails stating that I had ordered "Internet 45", and that a service tech would need to come to my house to complete the installation.  After several calls to customer service, I had found out that the order had been changed without my knowledge nor approval to a non-fiber plan and that it would be $89/mo!  Is this standard business practice for AT&T to "bait and switch" customers?  I am in process of cancelling this service (installed yesterday), and moving to Charter for ISP.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Ahh, first problem was to get fiber, it needs a fiber cable run to the house, then buried. It is a small fiber cable-about quarter inch diameter-that I saw at my neighbors house. So if they said it was self install that was the tip off it was not fiber.

There have been real good bundle and stand alone prices given me by Adam, an ATT person answering my request for help on this forum. You can look at the replies to see them. It seems the magic word for fiber is 100 mb/S minimum. The 50mb/S plan must be the old DSL. It is hard to understand why ATT doesn't just publish the plans so they can easily be understood by the public. That way we could make the best decision for ourselves without jumping through hoops.

ATT service is primo but getting set up is the pits. Good luck with your needs.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Not a word. No help yet.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I currently pay $53/mo for 1mg dsl thru AT&T with no promotions available. I would GLADLY pay $60/mo for 6mg if if was even available. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.