Explore & discover

Helpful Links

fiber optic cable requirements

Contributor

fiber optic cable requirements

Hello, where i live we cannot get any good internet. I was wondering how many houses need to be in a neighborhood 

to be able to install the fiber optic cables. And while were at it, what are some other requirements the neighborhood has to have?

Message 1 of 2
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by jparoodys
‎07-25-2019 8:16 AM

Re: fiber optic cable requirements

First and foremost....

ATT is the ILEC for the addresses, if a different telco such as CenturyLink, Frontier, etc is the ILEC... ATT is not likely to be an overbuilder in territory they have no existing facilities. Starting from nothing takes a lot of time... Look at Google progress over past 5 years.

Next is the area within the ATT Fiber map market?

ATT has hardwired services in 21 states and likely 120+ markets....

https://broadbandnow.com/ATT

Some areas will receive a higher percentage of fiber coverage (50+%) while other zip codes will be low (5%) but based upon reaching 14 million addresses in 4 years results in an average of around 18.5% of all addresses. 80+% of addresses will not have direct fiber FTTP by start 2020 but 28 million or 37% will have FTTN from 25M with up to 100M internet based upon facilities and copper loop length. Translation... 42 million or 56% of addresses will meet or exceed the governments definition of 25M internet speed.

What addresses, neighborhoods?

Those with open arms... ATT stated early looking for similar offers that Google was receiving to bring fiber to their city. Road blocks, conditions... Just move to the next city.

Local goverment recommendations to where it makes sense based upon business, reaidential needs.high tech yuppie more likely than older conservatives. 

Population density... MDU like apartments, condos alloted 25% of addresses.... Frequent turnovers, higher uptake when owners of properties make investment are likely to recommend ATT over cable. The more addresses reached within small areas such as city lots of 50×120 feet compared to large subdivision where one house has 250×1000 feet lot. Wkre for 10 house or 1 house at near same cost... Which offers better monthly return.

Thus 6000 pop per sq mile preferred over 4000 over 3000 over 2000. Assuming 3 per household 6000 pop is 2000 addresses in a sq mile.

PFP placements.. 3 sizes with smallest supporting 216 addresses thus would guess looking for 75-80 capacity means neighborhood of 150+ addresses. Areas with 40 to 60 homes not likely unless have apartments in front such as main street with 4 families and duplexes single family on back streets into neighborhood.

Economic class not a factor... No redlining or ignoring those with limited means. There are areas in Milwaukee where most of the fiber connections are for 10/10 internet at $10 a month..  Access accounts, food stamps.with fiber on poles (aerial)

Middle class neighborhoods are generally smaller lots, aerial or buried services generalmy have nearby apartments and/or condos.

Upper class seems less likely unless new development within last years due to buried services on large lots. Costs more to bury than place fiber on poles.

These are just my observation for my market area...other parts of the 21 state footprint may see different results.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 2
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support