Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Optical internet installation

Contributor

Optical internet installation

Hi!

My installation is done and I was wondering why are my cables so exposed, especially the optical fiber cable that has no insulation? If anything should bump up against it, or the wind blow hard enough, that optical fiber cable is definitely done for! Why wasn't it secured inside the box, or at least the insulation kept on it, for it being such a thin piece of cable to begin withIMG_20190623_092055.jpg

IMG_20190623_092106.jpg

Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Guru

Interesting that the installer used that mount.  Maybe they have different mounts in different parts of the country.  Mine has a longer base so the connectors can have a cover installed over them.  Here's what it looks like without the cover installed....

ont.jpg

Message 2 of 7
Contributor

That looks very professional! We have a lot of traffic going and coming from the area the box is installed. Plus, 4 fairly large dogs and 2 cats. I would definitely need a box like yours. Thanks for posting the picture and replying!

Message 3 of 7
Guru

I saw that yours was mounted near the floor which isn't usually a problem.  But your critters would definitely like to poke around in there and could easily damage the fiber.  I don't know if AT&T would roll a truck back out to install the other type of bracket (or if they even have them in OK) but it's worth a call.  Barring any help from them, maybe you could fashion up a little sheet metal cover and attach it to the wall or the ONT and give you some protection against paws and noses and teeth.  Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 7
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Family101
‎06-23-2019 10:35 PM

Only the short fiber jack is currently available for ordering by Uverse techs... The longer jack was available last year and very early (1st Q) this year. The fiber is accessible in either wall jack.

BTW, a contrast of the two types of fiber ends, the first with black strain relief is known as fast tec requiring no grinding or polishing of end while the 2nd (white relief) is the older end requiring more experience to get a good connection, in effect pre polish vs post polish. I prefer the fast tec units, plus reusable while the green/white has an issue cutting, throw away and install a different end.

Tech dispatch would be a waste of time, at same height as cable connection, place a piece of furniture in front of ONT if concern about house pets. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 7
Guru

Thanks for the info about the ONT mounts. 

Interesting...@Family101 has the newer mount and the older fiber end and I have the older mount and the fas tec end!  I agree about the desirability of this type of end and so it looks like I have the best of both worlds!

Message 6 of 7
Contributor

I guess it is time to build a bracket. That unit is actually mounted at a spot behind where a door opens constantly, so no room to place furniture there. Congrats @tonydi and thanks to all for the input!

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support