Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
alamichhane1's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 21st, 2017 9:06 PM

Closed

Not getting full AT&T fiber speed

I installed the ATT fiber internet today in my apartment. I was pretty excited to see how the 1GBPs internet works but turns out it is slower than the previous one I had from Spectrum. The speed test is barely giving me 100mbps download and around 200mbps upload speed. I am having a problem loading up 1080p youtube videos. 

The router they installed is BGW210, and I also have U-Verse but right now, it is not in use. How do I fix this internet speed? I am only getting 10% of what I am supposed to get. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

Plus , I might add, I am more pleased with my gigabit fiber service from AT&T than I EVER WAS with my 100Mbit service from Comcast Business. It’s also much cheaper as well as faster.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

6 years ago

Well, log into the BGW200-700 Gateway and go to the Diagnostics, and perform a speed test there. You should be getting 900Mps or better, and it should be symmetrical to the Gateway. Now your effective bandwidth downstream are going to be a factor of a few things?

The best speed is with a short length of CAT5/5e/6 into one of the ports on the Gateway to a PC that has an Ethernet adapter capable of 1000Mbps. 

I presume however you were using Wifi. So then, were you connected to the 5GHz or the 2.4GHz radio?

Tutor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have had AT&T out four times since the install of my new Gig/Fiber service and I get the same up/down as I did at my last house! I’m at 105 Up and today got 300 down. I have the same router 210-700 they just replaced. I live in a brand new home with all new Cat6 cable everywhere and still get terrible WiFi signal!!! I literally cannot install a Ring camera and get service 15ft away from my router. Help! Please .... I’m sick of being told to install a WiFi extender when my house is not that big and does not need it. I don’t do crazy gaming or have 50 devices downloading massive amounts of data every second but I do think I should get what I pay for every month!

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Am just waiting till the contract ends, then I will switch. AT&T does not care about their customer!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I had the same issue of slow download and upload speed, in fact it was the same speed as my cable provider (~150/20). I set the QoS to OFF in my router and now I have no issues. This feature is usually enabled in all modern routers to not allow certain protocols, like web browsing, have full bandwidth.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I also switched to att 1000Mbps after finding a pretty enticing advertisement in my mailbox. I too have not actually realized the full speeds they were offering but knew that it probably wouldn’t but was ok with it (based on what I currently had).

Here are some things I’ve noticed about mine:

1. The network degradation is extremely poor. I moved my router back downstairs (when att installed it) in order to centralize the coverage (and we stream everything so I wanted those devices wired) but accessing WiFi upstairs resulted in about 98% degradation and pages on my computer would not even load. Downstairs around the router I will get close to 400 on my MacBook and iMac (6 and 9 years old) and they do great.

My PS4 consistenly runs close to 100 (wired) and never disconnects but my Xbox One will connect to the internet but displays Upnp errors and basically wont do anything (not sure what the deal is).

My kinda dinky HP laptop I use extensively will max out at about 60-80 probably due to the network card but understandable.

The worst thing I’ve experienced so far is our dang phones trying to load web pages and videos. They never disconnect but about 75% of the time they won’t load a web page or require backing up/reloading/killing chrome or YouTube and restarting before it works (my phone will hit speed tests consistently at 400 down and up but won’t load a web page). This is by far the most frustrating and I’m not sure what the problem is.

With the ad promotion they gave me two free WiFi extenders which have completely solved my upstairs degradation problems and my iMac upstairs will push 150 (acceptable for me).

Ive never had a loading problem on my fire tv which is our main hub for streaming(wired).

One thing I utilize on a number of devices are powerline network adaptors which free up a ton of bandwidth and utilize my power outlets to create a wired connection to devices (this could help people that are experiencing serious network degradation).

I doubt this fully answers your questions but wanted to share some similar problems I’ve had and some things I’ve done to speed up and/or fix the network degradation throughout my house which was freaking terrible before they sent me my WiFi extenders. They are really nice, too.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

I think so... I have 50m and use my apple router. After the 2nd to last update I was getting 50m wirelessly. Now I get 10-20m on my apple router but wow 50m on my 210.  This is att doing something. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

If you are connecting WIRELESSLY, 50 or so is all you might get.  I would HIGHLY recommend connected WIRED to your router and see if you get any better (more than likely you will).  If you can not get over 100 MBPS, then I recommend you get a router with 1GBit ethernet ports.  NEVER EVER run a speed test from a wireless connection!!!  You will NEVER get what your modem is capable of.  This is NOT AT&T doing something to your connection.  If you run your modem's internal speed test and get close to 1gbit, then nothing is wrong with your connection -- it's your hardware.  Come on folks!  Let's get some brains going here!  This isn't rocket science to figure this out!  Quit blaming AT&T for all of our connection speed woes and start looking at your own equipment!  Trust me, it will save you time, headache and MONEY in the end! (No, I DON'T work for AT&T, I've been in the networking industry for years and speak from experience.)  

As an aside, I upgraded all of my 100MBps switches and ethernet cards to gigabit type and get pretty dang close (about 800-960 mbits/sec) to a gig, and my modem when I run a speed test on it gets a little better than that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I just switched to At&ts fiber internet so I hope this is better. I was getting 200 mgbs download and 12 mgbs upload from charter.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

5 years ago

I'm another having issues. I have read so much out here on AT&T speed issues and possible solutions. It seems like one solution that works for customer a does not work for customer b.

AT&T installed the Internet 300 plan earlier this month. They installed the Arris BGW210-700 gateway. From the gateway diagnostics tab, I ran a speed test and was getting 300M up and down but something less than 100M up and down when I run a speed test to a test site (att.com/speedtest, speedtest.net. speakeasy.net, etc) from the back side of the gateway. (Just wondering to where the gateway diagnostic test is terminating. Was wondering if this is from the gateway to the place in the network where services is concentrated since this is a GPON shared service. For me, the tech said it's about a 1/4 down the street. Possible the slowdown is between that concentration point and the central office??)

I have the ASUS RT-N66U behind the BGW210. I did get IP Pass-thru working and I use a 10.x.x.x IP range on my ASUS. I checked and my cable between the gateway and my router is a CAT6. I set the AT&T gateway for IP Pass-thru, Wi-Fi off, packet filtering off and only my router connected to LAN1. My ASUS shows a WAN connection at 1G so I should be at least >100M.. Full disclosure, I am connected via 5GHz Wi-Fi as it's not convenient to direct connect but I should be able to get more than 60M which is my average speed test speed with no other devices.

Just seems like there is something slowing the bandwidth. Seems like different people do different things and get theirs running faster but the next guy does the same thing with no change. Really hoping someone figures this out as it appears to be an issue with the Arris and the Pace gateways.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.