For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
JasonS.'s profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, July 2nd, 2015 5:41 AM

GigaPower and U-verse TV Switch Solution

[Subject edited for better exposure]Just looking for ideas at this point...I'm still working with my original install technician on this, but am hoping for some ideas on where to go next. I've been a Uverse customer for several years and have had no issues with my system. I have a D-Link 16 port switch that runs every device in my house(3 PC's, 3 cable boxes(including DVR), 3 blu-ray players, etc. I recently had AT&T Digital Life security installed and the tech installed an additional 8 port switch to accommodate the security system. Everything worked beautifully!

Today, my GigaPower install begins and there have been nothing but problems. My tech has been great and is working diligently to resolve this installation issue. The issue is that all of my cable boxes freeze all the time, I can't even get an HDX movie to stream on Vudu, which requires 11Mbs to stream without receiving errors indicating that I have insufficient network speed. The tech installed a third 8 port switch for only the cable receivers, with the cat5 feeding directly from the gateway, and a cat5 feeding to the original 16 port switch to provide Ethernet to the rest of the house. When the third 8 port switch was installed, it seemed as the problem had a suitable workaround u til a permanent solution could be found. But, it seems that the longer my GigaPower has been installed, the worse my network is getting.

I called in to tech support, only to be transferred to the "Geek Squad" group of AT&T support, only to be transferred to the tech support concierge service since I have GigaPower. After waiting in the queue for over forty minutes waiting to talk to the concierge, I gave up. All this choppy and freezing tv while I have tornado warnings in my city, of course.

All in all, I just want a working solution in my house, whether it's GigaPower or the 54Mbs service I had before that I never had any issues with. It's time like these that remind me that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, especially with AT&T products and services.

I'm hoping someone has some ideas on where to go from here. It seems that there has to be a configuration issue somewhere, but who knows...

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Ours, after almost two months of issues, is working very well now.

For anyone who has their whole house wired with cat 5/cat6, ensure that your cable boxes are on a different switch than the rest of your house. Apparently, the modem is not able to differentiate between normal Internet traffic and the required network packets for the cable boxes if they are on the same switch. As a result, we were experiencing extreme latency and pixelation on our tv's. Once a new home run was run from the modem for my cable boxes switch, the problem was resolved.

Guru

• 

921 Messages

9 years ago

I would send a PM to @ATTU-verseCare

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

@JasonS. wrote:

Ours, after almost two months of issues, is working very well now.

For anyone who has their whole house wired with cat 5/cat6, ensure that your cable boxes are on a different switch than the rest of your house. Apparently, the modem is not able to differentiate between normal Internet traffic and the required network packets for the cable boxes if they are on the same switch. As a result, we were experiencing extreme latency and pixelation on our tv's. Once a new home run was run from the modem for my cable boxes switch, the problem was resolved.

Yes, we have to point this out fairly regularly in this forum.  IPTV is multicast traffic.  If you have your own wireless router or access point connected back to the same port on the Residential Gateway (RG)—typically via a switch—and the switch doesn't do IGMPv3 snooping (which most consumer switches don't), then the switch will send all the multicast traffic to all ports, and the wireless router/access point will do stupid things with it and slow everything down in all directions using flow control, etc.  There are devices other than wireless routers/access points that can cause trouble, but that's the most common culprit.

Now there are pieces of equipment appearing in the consumer space (like ASUS routers that use the ASUSWRT firmware) that appear to actually deal with the IPTV multicast traffic in a sane way.  Another option is to use two switches that both support VLAN with tagging.

The safe bet is to always keep your network traffic on one RG port and your IPTV traffic on another.  Which is what you've done.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.