For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
AtlantaSBR's profile

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2016 2:30 PM

Cabling Used In-Home - AT&T Fiber Installation

I just signed up for AT&T Fiber (1Gbps) and have an installation scheduled for Friday. I was curious what cabling is used inside my home after I am connected to the Fiber network?  

I am planning on running some cables myself prior to the install so the technicians don't poke too many holes in the walls, floors, etc.

I know that fiber is run to the box outside but is it continued inside the home or switched over to Cat6? RG6 for TV?  I will have two Wired TVs installed as well if that matters.

Thank you for your help, AtlantaSBR

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Excellent and thank you!!

Scholar

• 

222 Messages

7 years ago

Point of clarification:  I currently have at&t's Internet 50 service via twisted pair of the copper telephone line run to my house when it was built in 2004, along with U-verse voice and tv.

Will the existing copper telephone wire inside my home be a sufficient means to connect the U-verse RG to the ONT?  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

ATT fiber is available in my townhouse however the contractor used by the builder created a rat's nest out of the coax. Currently we have Comcast Internet on a dedicated coax line which leads up an exterior wall into a 3rd floor office that contains our PC and wireless router. Our DirectTV is run through the coax installed by the builder (We only get access to 2 rooms because nobody can figure out how the house is wired).

Q: Can I use ATT fiber in the same configuration as our existing setup (Internet/Wireless on 3rd and UVerse in two rooms on 1st floor)? If not what would we as homeowners have to do?

Scholar

• 

222 Messages

7 years ago

Sorry, but I don't know if the device that is installed to convert light from the fiber to electrical impulses is set up for a coax interface. In my system this device outputs to Cat 5 which then connects to the existing wiring to the U-verse modem/router.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

So, I'm looking to have GigaPower Installed. I believe I'll be the second person in my neighborhood to get it.

Before I take the leap though, I've got a few questions...

1.) Our house does have Cat5e running from the existing POTS NTI (all unterminated) to the (5) Phone Jacks throughout the house. (Also unterminated, as we've never had a land-line...)

Should I go ahead and pull these 5 runs from the NTI, back inside the house and terminate them into a patch panel, or leave them there and let the AT&T tech decide what to do with them?

One of the main reasons that I ask this is because I'm going to need a hard-wired Ethernet connection to my TV Box, which is on the ground floor, but I'm also going to need a hard-wire to my main computer, which is upstairs, and on the opposite side of the home. (And I do NOT want holes drilled all over the place....)

2.) Above, I mentioned the possibility of a patch panel. This patch panel would be in a closet that is attached to the house, but has no heat or air conditioning. Living in NC, would ATT place the router/modem in this space? Or should it really go inside the house? (Yes, this storage room does have power and light, and stays pretty cool in the summer...)

I'm just trying to determine the best use of the existing Cat5e I've currently got to get the equipment installed where I want/need it, without having to drill holes or run more cables....

Scholar

• 

222 Messages

6 years ago

I guess it’s possible you’d get a good installer but I would not bank on it. Even if you do, i don’t think you should expect them to punch in as data those lines. I expect finishing out your existing wiring is beyond his assignment or training.

What I did was to hire a guy who set up and organized the existing wiring in my home. He came out after fiber was run and cleaned up the electrical connections to where the system is stable now whereas it lost sync frequently right after install.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

6 years ago

I just had AT&T Fiber installed today too, they used Cat5e everywhere from the ONT.
I had already pre-wired between the living room and the bedroom, so he just used that - probably saved him a lot of work and also saves me a $49 wireless hookup fee for a wireless TV receiver. Unfortunately for the main DVR box in the living room and because I'm in an apartment he had to run a cable under the carpet across the room.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This is probably a dumb question but..I'm getting fiber optic internet hooked up within days. The box on the outside of my house has the white and blue wires connected inside the box. I do not have phone service, so nothing else is connected. I want to run a Cat5e cable from the outside box, along the outside of the house ( about 40 feet ) to my sunroom where the modem will be. I will have a ethernet jack installed in the sunroom. Is it a matter of just stripping and plugging in two colored wires at the box and the same at the jack.  Can it be that simple?.....no it can't be. Thanks 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

6 years ago

Is the ONT installed in a specific place? I ask because I ran cat5e from my den where the gateway would go to the garage where I would hope they’d install the ONT. 

Scholar

• 

222 Messages

6 years ago

The ONT needs a source of electricity and it’s made for indoor use. In my experience the installer will terminate the optical near to where the existing feed for your telephone wire enters the premises, if you have this.

If not I expect he will be freer in placement.

In any case, he will need to drill a hole through your exterior wall to run the optical cable to the ONT, and the placement inside will depend on where is the nearest electrical outlet.

Hope this helps.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.