Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Adding a switch for additional ports

Contributor

Adding a switch for additional ports

Good day!

I have AT&T FTTP (gigabit) not sure of the proper package name.  I want to connect a Philips Hue Bridge which requires an Ethernet connection.  All of my physical ports are in use, and the AT&T WiFi router does not have any Ethernet ports.  Can I add a small 5 port switch before the WiFi router, or is there a better location to add the switch.  Also, would I have better luck just replacing the AT&T WiFi router with one that includes Ethernet ports?

Thank you,

Mike

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by MLeahy
‎12-22-2017 3:29 PM

Re: Adding a switch for additional ports

You have 4 ports on the gateway.  It's best to keep the DVR and WAP (if you have wireless receivers) connected to the gateway.  That leaves you two ports.  You can add a gigabit ethernet switch like a NETGEAR GS10x to either or both those ports to give you added ethernet ports.  You connect a switch to one of the gateway ethernet ports to give you the additional ports supplied by the switch.

If your use is just ports for internet access you should be fine.  Some potential problems can arise if you want to add uverse tv's to the switch due to the multicase iptv traffic.  There are possible solutions and there are threads in these forums on that subject.  But to keep things simple try to keep all the att tv stuff connected to the gateway.  That's why I mentioned it about the dvr and wap.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. If you find this post helpful in solving your problem then feel free to kudo it. If it is also the solution then consider clicking "Accept as Solution".
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

The challenge is that all the ports on the connected gateway are in use by TV or Telephone.

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

In that case you might want to read over the following two threads to see what's involved when using ATT stuff through switches.

DVR recording list not showing on STB

Networking setup affects DVR

It was discussions like these which prompted me to try to keep my answer simple.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. If you find this post helpful in solving your problem then feel free to kudo it. If it is also the solution then consider clicking "Accept as Solution".
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Contributor

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, 1,000 THANK YOU'S! Had too many lines for our AT&T UVERSE modem/router, so, as you suggested, I left the connections to the TV and Yamaha Receiver and: 1. Ordered the Netgear ProSafe GS105 5-Port Switch ($34.99 Amazon Prime). 2. Plugged in its dongle to AC power. 3. With a shorty Ethernet cable, connected the one remaining empty port on the rear of my UVERSE unit to the left-most port of the little NETGEAR switch. 4. Ran another shorty from one of the 4 empty ports on the switch to our Phillips HUE Bridge. 5. Ran a 25' cable to the Ethernet port on my USB 3.0 Plugable Docking Station (USB to my Lenovo laptop), 6. Turned on the Switch and, VOILA'! -- everything works  brilliantly -- and I have 2 ports to spare!  : )  - J. Long - one HAPPY CAMPER on the side of a mountain in Western NC 

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support