Explore & discover

Helpful Links

ATT Fiber Internet Speed

ATT Fiber Internet Speed

I installed the ATT fiber internet today in my apartment. I was pretty excited to see how the 1GBPs internet works but turns out it is slower than the previous one I had from Spectrum. The speed test is barely giving me 100mbps download and around 200mbps upload speed. I am having a problem loading up 1080p youtube videos. 

The router they installed is BGW210, and I also have U-Verse but right now, it is not in use. How do I fix this internet speed? I am only getting 10% of what I am supposed to get. 

Message 1 of 70
Teacher

Re: ATT Fiber Internet Speed

Sure am hoping that my experience here in Livonia, Michigan does not turn out to be any of these experiences.  I ordered the 1000Mbps service Friday, January 19, 2018 and my first install date they promised was Monday, February 5, 2018.  But so far ATT has not even been able to get me installed for the past 3 weeks.  They keep telling me that they have had equipment failures at the neighborhood terminal, they can't get the neighborhood terminal to sync with the main office, and they had engineering problems, so I am hopeful that my 4th promised install date of Monday, February 12, 2018 will pan out and that I will get the speed that I am paying for, the 1000Mbps service.  Please pray for me since I am not getting a warm fuzzy feeling reading all of the nightmare stories here in the forum.

Message 16 of 70

Hi. You might get 900+ for 6 months.
Then around 400-500 .
Probably It is in the contract that you signed. Praying doesn't help, I tried already.
Message 17 of 70
Contributor

Right now I’m having that same issue only gett 70 to 166 down I’ve had the service for 5 days and haven’t had anything close to 1 gig I’ve called had people come out and still no solution. I’m paying for a service I can’t even use cause they have no idea what’s wrong or have any intention on fixing the issue. Yea I’m getting bent over.

Message 18 of 70

Oh.. ATT knows... they just sell you the bandwidth, and the more people connect... the lower your speed.

Then.... if you have techs at your home trying to "fix" the "unfixable" they will charge you $99.

But... your speed it is too low... did you try "wired connection"? That's your true speed. 

Message 19 of 70
Teacher

What is the speed of your NIC in your computer that you are running the speed test from? That will make a difference. I get around 100 megs on my older PCs while on my newer PCs with a 1 gbit NIC in them, I get closer to what I am paying for. Also, you may want to run the speed test built into your fiber modem. I run that test and always get just under a gigabit.
Message 20 of 70
Contributor

I live in a rural area, I’m paying for 12mbps (really, no zeroes missing) and rarely get it. I’ve been trying to get my issue resolved for more than a year. We have no other provider, so we’re screwed. I’ve had techs out here 5 times, they all find something wrong and fix it, but then there’s still something else wrong. And we’re still on copper, which they say they will NOT upgrade. One useful thing I can contribute: you can make a complaint to the FCC.

Message 21 of 70
Teacher

When you run a speed test, what soeed DO you ger? And do you have an older computer with a 10 meg catd in it? How msny oyher devices are on your network? How many application's that use the internet ate running ar the same tine on your computet?

You need to ask yoursekf these questions before complaining.
Message 22 of 70

Direct wired ethernet connector with 1G adapter. Windows in safe mode with internet connection and tested with speedtest.net
Any suggestions? What's your speed and how much are you paying for? Are you happy with the service?
I complain with a reason and I'll be happy to not complain when I get the service that I paying for.
Message 23 of 70
Teacher

I am getting 975mbits speed. Then again i have gigabit cards in all of my machines plus a gigabit router and switch.
Try running your modem's internal speed tesy as well if it has one like mine does. Note, too, that speeds between sites you visit will vary as well.

Message 24 of 70
Teacher

All the speed test I run are usually within about 5% of each other which is expected. For the first 10 months or so I got 750 -950M on a regular basis. For the last 5-6 months get no more than 250M. Direct wire with device to modem and WiFi off. My network cableing is CAT7A rated at 40GB. All cards are GB. I have not seen a non-GB card in about 15 years except for some really cheap Chinese crap which is only good for scrap. I can load the network up with 8-10 users on 3 wifi networks and and 12 TB NAS streaming and with maybe 20% impact on a speedtest. It is not an issue with my network or computers. Get consistently the same results with Win7, Win10. Android, iPhone, iPad and Linux.
Message 25 of 70
Teacher

Technically, I believe the only copper in the home with a fiber connection is the ethernet cable.

Message 26 of 70
Teacher

Same here. I signed up for 1Gbps internet and I am only getting around 200Gbps...it’s a joke. If you are going for this service, make sure that do not sign any contract until they deliver what they are selling.. fair enough AT&T?

Message 27 of 70
Teacher

My question is this, if you are paying for 1 gigabit then how on Earth are you getting 200 gigabits?

Message 28 of 70
Teacher

This is myab0150. Correction from my last reply . Not 200Gbps it’s 200Mbps I was getting out  1Gbps AT&T promised to deliver. Please do not sign any contract until you are satisfied!

Message 29 of 70
Teacher

Sorry, was a typo. Should be 200Mbps not 200Gbps.....
Message 30 of 70
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support