Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
alamichhane1's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 21st, 2017 9:06 PM

Closed

Not getting full AT&T fiber speed

I installed the ATT fiber internet today in my apartment. I was pretty excited to see how the 1GBPs internet works but turns out it is slower than the previous one I had from Spectrum. The speed test is barely giving me 100mbps download and around 200mbps upload speed. I am having a problem loading up 1080p youtube videos. 

The router they installed is BGW210, and I also have U-Verse but right now, it is not in use. How do I fix this internet speed? I am only getting 10% of what I am supposed to get. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Try looking at the speed rate your testing 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean speed rate? Could the 93.4 that I'm seeing actually be 934mbps? The art rep told me that since I have 8 devices going to the router that its 1000÷8=per device speed? By that logic my nest and vivant use 100ish mbps each?

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

5 years ago

Solo, To get an accurate reading, you should have a single PC running the speedtest app (loaded on your PC not just going to the website speedtest.net). The PC should be cable attached to the AT&T gateway with a CAT 6 cable. If you have a Arris BGW210-700 installed by AT&T, you can go to the diagnostic tab and run a speed test. I have Internet 300 and when running speed test from the BGW, I get my 300M up and down but when running the Speedtest app, I've never gotten over 200M in either direction. It has slowly gone up in speed starting back in Dec at about 50M up and down and now getting closer to 150M. This service is a shared GPON service and the speed is advertised as an "up to" speed. Since AT&T offers a 100M price point, I felt like I should be getting >100M on my 300M service and now I am.

As I have stated in the past and still believe today, the speed test on the BGW is from the BGW to the ONL. I personally believe that this inexpensive residential service is de-prioritized across the AT&T backbone network and that's why our effective speed is much slower. Since I am over the 100M service speed, I am OK with the speed I am receiving at this time.

gpon-olt

1 Attachment

Employee

• 

281 Messages

5 years ago

When I first had fiber installed I was also having speed issues. I disabled IPV6 on all devices and it resolved it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Hi all,

Just got 1000 mbps coming from Spectrum 400 mbps.  The only reason I left Spectrum is because the service kept going down approx 10 times in a week over a few months.  I did always get about 450-475 upload (when it was working).  I thought for sure issue solved for I was told AT&T fiber is reliable.  Perhaps it never goes down but doesn't work but at half mass!  I always laugh a little when they say to connect directly to the router with ethernet cable -- when most technology today doesn't have that option.  Examples - I have a brand new Dell laptop i7-8550U, 1.8 Ghz, 16 GB Ram (no ethernet port imagine that).  I have an iPhone XR.  On Spectrum I got the speed I was sold.  I get the same speed in high 300's to low 400's with 1000 mbps AT&T.  This has even been tested standing right next to router with all devices but one connected.   I thought the point of this service is to allow you to stream your TV's, phones, computers.  I get it that devices can be the culprit if they want to blame that but not when you're using some of the best technology available don't use that as a cop out.  So go with a service down a lot and get the speed that you pay for or pay for a service you don't get the speed??!!  Hoping something better comes along so I don't have to use either.  BOO!

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

I was a 20 year AT&T customer with many years using U-verse. It was interrupted when I moved from St. Louis, MO to Naperville, IL. I signed up when AT&T email me that Fiber Optics service is available in my area in April. I got the triple pack U-verse with 1000Mbps. Unfortunately, the installation tech did not run CAT5 cable from ONT to the gateway. He used the existing voice phone cable which becomes the bottle neck of the internet speed, 250Mbps instead of 1000. It is measured at the gateway and a hardwired Windows PC.

I had the same problem when I first got U-verse in St. Louis. AT&T replaced the phone cable with CAT5 right the way and solved the problem. Reading so many complaints about internet speed on this thread makes me wonder why. I understand why after calling customer service. IL AT&T denies the phone line bottle neck issue and refuses to correct the problem.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Well if it was installed on cat3 that could happen since it's not rated for 1000m. 

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

monsterlou, have you talked to anyone at AT&T who understands the network cable rating system?

It is amazing that the first task of the AT&T installation technician was NOT laying the CAT6 cable from ONT to the gateway.

Chicago is COMCAST territory, builder and home owner installed co-axial network around the house, but few houses have proper ethernet wiring. AT&T must address the networking inside the house issue if they want to be competitive. If their strategy is to rely on WiFi, they need to replace the low power BGW210 router too,

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thats a a very cargo cult recommendation.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

getting 400/400 from my 300mb plan. I can't complain!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.