Explore & discover

Helpful Links

ATT Fiber Internet Speed

ATT Fiber Internet Speed

I installed the ATT fiber internet today in my apartment. I was pretty excited to see how the 1GBPs internet works but turns out it is slower than the previous one I had from Spectrum. The speed test is barely giving me 100mbps download and around 200mbps upload speed. I am having a problem loading up 1080p youtube videos. 

The router they installed is BGW210, and I also have U-Verse but right now, it is not in use. How do I fix this internet speed? I am only getting 10% of what I am supposed to get. 

Message 1 of 65
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: ATT Fiber Internet Speed

youtube

Message 61 of 65

Try looking at the speed rate your testing 

Message 62 of 65
Tutor

Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean speed rate? Could the 93.4 that I'm seeing actually be 934mbps? The art rep told me that since I have 8 devices going to the router that its 1000÷8=per device speed? By that logic my nest and vivant use 100ish mbps each?

Message 63 of 65
Teacher

Solo, To get an accurate reading, you should have a single PC running the speedtest app (loaded on your PC not just going to the website speedtest.net). The PC should be cable attached to the AT&T gateway with a CAT 6 cable. If you have a Arris BGW210-700 installed by AT&T, you can go to the diagnostic tab and run a speed test. I have Internet 300 and when running speed test from the BGW, I get my 300M up and down but when running the Speedtest app, I've never gotten over 200M in either direction. It has slowly gone up in speed starting back in Dec at about 50M up and down and now getting closer to 150M. This service is a shared GPON service and the speed is advertised as an "up to" speed. Since AT&T offers a 100M price point, I felt like I should be getting >100M on my 300M service and now I am.

As I have stated in the past and still believe today, the speed test on the BGW is from the BGW to the ONL. I personally believe that this inexpensive residential service is de-prioritized across the AT&T backbone network and that's why our effective speed is much slower. Since I am over the 100M service speed, I am OK with the speed I am receiving at this time.

gpon-olt

Message 64 of 65
Employee

When I first had fiber installed I was also having speed issues. I disabled IPV6 on all devices and it resolved it.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 65 of 65
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support