Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
alamichhane1's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 21st, 2017 9:06 PM

Closed

Not getting full AT&T fiber speed

I installed the ATT fiber internet today in my apartment. I was pretty excited to see how the 1GBPs internet works but turns out it is slower than the previous one I had from Spectrum. The speed test is barely giving me 100mbps download and around 200mbps upload speed. I am having a problem loading up 1080p youtube videos. 

The router they installed is BGW210, and I also have U-Verse but right now, it is not in use. How do I fix this internet speed? I am only getting 10% of what I am supposed to get. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

You results on the modem itself vs on your computer are to be expected as the modem connects DIRECTLY to the network.  However, you have to realize that your computer also has lots of other things going on on it that can cause your bandwidth to be slower on the computer itself.  Namely, services updates running in the background, hard drive speed, other people on your network, etc.  I encourage you and others to take these facts into consideration before making a complaint to AT&T tech support that could unnecessarily cost you money.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

5 years ago

Wolfe, Thank you for your reply but I have to respectfully say you are incorrect. I understand there are apps running in the background but I have a business grade PC running Windows 7 Pro. I have never seen my speed go above 100M. I'm seeing roughly 25% of my Internet 300 service. Don't get me wrong, the service is great but I'm just not seeing the advertised speed and fiber was just installed in my neighborhood. I ordered the service before AT&T even contacted me with the offer so I know there isn't an over-subscription issue at least not in my local area.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

5 years ago

It seems people never read the fine print and those two important words: "up
to". I, too , have a business class machine, and I never get exactly 1
giabit, but I get "up to" (meaning CLOSE), and I am happy with that.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Update:  the issue has improved.  Tech spent the time to really try to identify the issue.  He replacedid the fibed r connectors three time before he got a good signal. Signal was unstable on fiber ( techs words).  Cut off about 6 feet of fiber.  Getting 400M - 700M (usually).   Internal home network is CAT 7A 10G.  TestING done with WiFi off, 1PC direct to attend modem and all unecessary background apps turned off.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I had the same problem, I signed up at Costco( pushy sales people) I signed up for Fiber 1000, and got the service installed when I had hard wired through CAT5 cable provided by the tech to my laptop which does support 1GBPS speed, which we already checked through ATT software, I was getting around 256mpbs speed, at first the tech who installed he was struggling to get it to atleast 600mpbs then he was on the chat with support and they re provished the service and that got it back to 700mpbs, that was still not what I was sold for so anyway i continued the next day i could see lot of slowness and it went below 200mpbs so i called att again and they sent the tech to check it, the new Tech replaced the modem and asked me to check for few days, after the tech left I could see the speed was not keeping it up to atleast 600 so the same day i cancelled the service and went back with Spectrum which i have from last 10 years, atleast i get what I am promised 200mbps at a cheaper price, then paying 99$ to att for 200mbps. 

Would not venture with att again with cellphone, internet or direct tv. 

I still got a bill for 99$ for the tech to install which i am not going to pay as install was free. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I loved spectrum when I had it in TN but they don’t offer anything but At&t fiber and Atlantic broadband in which now I’m thinking of trying because At&t is crap! You pay for 1000 but nothing stays connected and I mean not even their own U verse boxes.... that’s sad right? I feel like I’m throwing almost 400$ a month at the clouds in the sky! 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Sounds light you have bad light..... I wish I have fiber out by me

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Hi Guys I have this same problem just had the service installed today  and  What AT&T guys were stating stating is so not true. AT&T reps are attempting to tell me that a Ethernet network not wireless is a shared bandwith. I told them understand that the etherenet network with a Switch with ports allow for the network to run at fullduplex. I pluged in a laptop with a cat 6 patch cable that has a gigabit NIC card and im still  geeting 400 downlaon and 500 upload this not the 1000gb network they is advertising . but on there app there getting 990 Mbs thats impossible if the intergrated Modem support a Gig Network. Something Really Wrong with this issue and I will not pay for a service I can not have. AT&T Please Fix your reliable network issues or I will cancel this order and go back to Comcast as I will be getting charged for the service I requested. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Hi Guys I have this same problem just had the service installed today and What AT&T guys were stating stating is so not true. AT&T reps are attempting to tell me that a Ethernet network not wireless is a shared bandwith. I told them understand that the etherenet network with a Switch with ports allow for the network to run at fullduplex. I pluged in a laptop with a cat 6 patch cable that has a gigabit NIC card and im still geeting 400 downlaon and 500 upload this not the 1000gb network they is advertising . but on there app there getting 990 Mbs thats impossible if the intergrated Modem support a Gig Network. Something Really Wrong with this issue and I will not pay for a service I can not have. AT&T Please Fix your reliable network issues or I will cancel this order and go back to Comcast as I will be getting charged for the service I requested.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Are you connected directly to the gateway? Are you sure your network card is capable if 1 gig? If getting close to 1 gig from the gateway it is your equipment. Possible your card is not set to get 1 gig. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.