Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: ATT Fiber Internet Speed

ATT Fiber Internet Speed

I installed the ATT fiber internet today in my apartment. I was pretty excited to see how the 1GBPs internet works but turns out it is slower than the previous one I had from Spectrum. The speed test is barely giving me 100mbps download and around 200mbps upload speed. I am having a problem loading up 1080p youtube videos. 

The router they installed is BGW210, and I also have U-Verse but right now, it is not in use. How do I fix this internet speed? I am only getting 10% of what I am supposed to get. 

Message 1 of 72
Contributor

I had the same problem, I signed up at Costco( pushy sales people) I signed up for Fiber 1000, and got the service installed when I had hard wired through CAT5 cable provided by the tech to my laptop which does support 1GBPS speed, which we already checked through ATT software, I was getting around 256mpbs speed, at first the tech who installed he was struggling to get it to atleast 600mpbs then he was on the chat with support and they re provished the service and that got it back to 700mpbs, that was still not what I was sold for so anyway i continued the next day i could see lot of slowness and it went below 200mpbs so i called att again and they sent the tech to check it, the new Tech replaced the modem and asked me to check for few days, after the tech left I could see the speed was not keeping it up to atleast 600 so the same day i cancelled the service and went back with Spectrum which i have from last 10 years, atleast i get what I am promised 200mbps at a cheaper price, then paying 99$ to att for 200mbps. 

Would not venture with att again with cellphone, internet or direct tv. 

I still got a bill for 99$ for the tech to install which i am not going to pay as install was free. 

Message 46 of 72
Contributor

I loved spectrum when I had it in TN but they don’t offer anything but At&t fiber and Atlantic broadband in which now I’m thinking of trying because At&t is crap! You pay for 1000 but nothing stays connected and I mean not even their own U verse boxes.... that’s sad right? I feel like I’m throwing almost 400$ a month at the clouds in the sky! 

Message 47 of 72
Highlighted

Sounds light you have bad light..... I wish I have fiber out by me

Message 48 of 72

Hi Guys I have this same problem just had the service installed today  and  What AT&T guys were stating stating is so not true. AT&T reps are attempting to tell me that a Ethernet network not wireless is a shared bandwith. I told them understand that the etherenet network with a Switch with ports allow for the network to run at fullduplex. I pluged in a laptop with a cat 6 patch cable that has a gigabit NIC card and im still  geeting 400 downlaon and 500 upload this not the 1000gb network they is advertising . but on there app there getting 990 Mbs thats impossible if the intergrated Modem support a Gig Network. Something Really Wrong with this issue and I will not pay for a service I can not have. AT&T Please Fix your reliable network issues or I will cancel this order and go back to Comcast as I will be getting charged for the service I requested. 

Message 49 of 72

Hi Guys I have this same problem just had the service installed today and What AT&T guys were stating stating is so not true. AT&T reps are attempting to tell me that a Ethernet network not wireless is a shared bandwith. I told them understand that the etherenet network with a Switch with ports allow for the network to run at fullduplex. I pluged in a laptop with a cat 6 patch cable that has a gigabit NIC card and im still geeting 400 downlaon and 500 upload this not the 1000gb network they is advertising . but on there app there getting 990 Mbs thats impossible if the intergrated Modem support a Gig Network. Something Really Wrong with this issue and I will not pay for a service I can not have. AT&T Please Fix your reliable network issues or I will cancel this order and go back to Comcast as I will be getting charged for the service I requested.

Message 50 of 72
ACE - Professor

Are you connected directly to the gateway? Are you sure your network card is capable if 1 gig? If getting close to 1 gig from the gateway it is your equipment. Possible your card is not set to get 1 gig. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 51 of 72
Teacher

Internal Network hardwire is CAT 7A. Been doing this for nearly 30 years, so yes the equipment is capable and setup correctly. Had a friend that works network security at CDC take a look just as a sanity check and he found no issues on internal. Had a tech come out and he replaced the fiber ends 3 time and finally got a decent stable connection. Typical speeds currently running about 550 down/800 up.
Message 52 of 72

Yeah sounds like it's their end. Do you have the fiber unit inside the house or is it outside?

Message 53 of 72

I Agree they need to run the Fiber as a straight run from the outside fiber box to there Fiber Box in the home. The signal loss is huge from the fiber jumpers they are using. It needs to be a straight run as your not getting 1000 Mbs as Advertise
Message 54 of 72

yes The installed their fiber conversion box inside to Copper
Message 55 of 72

I wonder what your light levels are. Do you have cat7 coming from their fiber box to the gateway 

Message 56 of 72
Teacher

Fiber to 7A.  
Message 57 of 72

Will Swiyc out Patch Cable
Message 58 of 72
Tutor

So I also have 93.3 mbps speed test but can run 8k videos with no buffering. Could it really be 933mbps but the speed test are showing incorrect info?

It takes about 3min for a 1.5gb file

Message 59 of 72

how are you running these videos
Message 60 of 72
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support