Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
alamichhane1's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 21st, 2017 9:06 PM

Closed

Not getting full AT&T fiber speed

I installed the ATT fiber internet today in my apartment. I was pretty excited to see how the 1GBPs internet works but turns out it is slower than the previous one I had from Spectrum. The speed test is barely giving me 100mbps download and around 200mbps upload speed. I am having a problem loading up 1080p youtube videos. 

The router they installed is BGW210, and I also have U-Verse but right now, it is not in use. How do I fix this internet speed? I am only getting 10% of what I am supposed to get. 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

When you run a speed test, what soeed DO you ger? And do you have an older computer with a 10 meg catd in it? How msny oyher devices are on your network? How many application's that use the internet ate running ar the same tine on your computet?

You need to ask yoursekf these questions before complaining.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Direct wired ethernet connector with 1G adapter. Windows in safe mode with internet connection and tested with speedtest.net
Any suggestions? What's your speed and how much are you paying for? Are you happy with the service?
I complain with a reason and I'll be happy to not complain when I get the service that I paying for.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

I am getting 975mbits speed. Then again i have gigabit cards in all of my machines plus a gigabit router and switch.
Try running your modem's internal speed tesy as well if it has one like mine does. Note, too, that speeds between sites you visit will vary as well.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

All the speed test I run are usually within about 5% of each other which is expected. For the first 10 months or so I got 750 -950M on a regular basis. For the last 5-6 months get no more than 250M. Direct wire with device to modem and WiFi off. My network cableing is CAT7A rated at 40GB. All cards are GB. I have not seen a non-GB card in about 15 years except for some really cheap Chinese crap which is only good for scrap. I can load the network up with 8-10 users on 3 wifi networks and and 12 TB NAS streaming and with maybe 20% impact on a speedtest. It is not an issue with my network or computers. Get consistently the same results with Win7, Win10. Android, iPhone, iPad and Linux.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

Technically, I believe the only copper in the home with a fiber connection is the ethernet cable.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Same here. I signed up for 1Gbps internet and I am only getting around 200Gbps...it’s a joke. If you are going for this service, make sure that do not sign any contract until they deliver what they are selling.. fair enough AT&T?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

My question is this, if you are paying for 1 gigabit then how on Earth are you getting 200 gigabits?

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

This is myab0150. Correction from my last reply . Not 200Gbps it’s 200Mbps I was getting out  1Gbps AT&T promised to deliver. Please do not sign any contract until you are satisfied!

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Sorry, was a typo. Should be 200Mbps not 200Gbps.....

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

6 years ago

When you run a speedtest from within the modem itself, what do you get? If you have the appropriate modem, it should have a built in speed test. If you run that and you get close to a gigabit up and down, then you have no right to complain as AT&T is giving you what you are paying for. The speed you get between your computer/router and the server you are running the speed test against is out of AT&T’s responsibility. Those of us that are network engineers (seasoned ones at that) know that there will ALWAYS be variances in speed between your computer and servers you are connecting to on the internet.

For instance, while I may get 860Mbits downloading an ISO from Red Hat, I may get slightly less that than downloading an ISO of the same size from Microsoft’s server. It all depends on the route your data takes before getting to you plus any other number of variables affecting the connection between you and the host you are connecting to. LOTS of people don’t understand that and it’s ignorance like this that makes us experienced technicians to make you folks want to tell you to pack up your computers and take them back to where you got them because you don’t deserve to own one.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.