Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T Fiber Optic Cable Burial

Highlighted
Tutor

AT&T Fiber Optic Cable Burial

Would someone tell me how deep are fiber optic cables buried ?  I want to dig a trench for the installation of a lawn sprinkler system. I live in the Nashville, Tennessee area.

Message 1 of 6
Employee

Re: AT&T Fiber Optic Cable Burial

Call 811 before digging to have any lines located... hand dig marked lines or pay several hundreds to have line replaced.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6
Tutor

May I have an official AT&T answer and not jokester.

Message 3 of 6
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by LHooker
‎10-17-2019 5:49 PM

There is no official answer... burial is performed by local contractors. A recommended depth range does not mean the contractor buried to that depth. Even the line locater (811) that has ability to identify the line will not say how deep... no liability. 

Once lines are located, if you cut your responsible. If you do not have line located your responsible. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 6
Tutor

Cat5e.jpg

I want to split the above cat5e cable (see image) into two (2) ethernet lines. In other words, remove the above cat5e cable and plug it into a splitter, then run the other ethernet cable to another location.  Will this work ?  If not, what can I do to achieve this ?

Message 5 of 6
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by LHooker
‎10-17-2019 5:56 PM

Depends... what is currently connected to the jack?

If an ethernet device such as receiver, PC, game system, etc (plugs into yellow port of gateway) you would purchase a switch such as the Netgear GS105. This would allow multiple devices with seperate connections going back to the gateway.

If the Jack pictured is from the ONT (direct fiber service) to the gateway (plugs into RED port) ... you would not split this. Would need to install a separate cat5e cable from gateway to the device desired to provide hardwired connection for.

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support