Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
CoolsDayness's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, September 16th, 2018 7:49 PM

speeds are slower through personal router than through gateway

I have the 1000 mbp plan for att fiber and have a BGW-210 gateway. When I connect to my gateway, I get the correct speeds, but when I connect to my router through ethernet (Netgear R6700v2) it hovers around 60-70 mbps. Can i get some help?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

540 Messages

6 years ago

Hmm, I would assume the ethernet outputs on the Netgear are gigabit ports.

Perhaps there is some setting in the Netgear you need to change? Perhaps it's set on 10/100? Keeping it from getting over 100mbps.

Employee

• 

540 Messages

6 years ago

If testing wireless make sure you're on 5GHz. 60-70mbps sounds about right for 2.4GHz

If hardwired testing. Make sure you're using 4 pair ethernet cables. If you're using 2 pair ethernet, you'll never get over 100mbps.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

First, your wired download speed directly from the gateway is lower than the guaranteed amount of 600 Mbps.  I too have this problem with the BGW210-700 and AT&T told me that I should be using the Pace 5268AC instead since I don't have telephone service through AT&T.  They're coming out soon to swap them.

Second, the download speed on your personal router appears to be 1/10th of the output from the gateway.  I would check the duplex settings in the BGW210-700 interface:

Go to 192.168.1.254

Home Network Tab>Configure Tab

Make sure the "Ethernet" setting for the Port # that you are using on the gateway to connect it to your personal router is set to either "Auto" or "1G Full Duplex".  It may be set to "100M Full Duplex", which would explain the 1/10th speed coming out of the gateway's Port to your personal router.

If the port settings in the gateway's interface are fine, then check the same in the personal router's interface .

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Not sure if this applies to your r6700v2, but I know that a lot of these routers have a NAT(WAN-to-LAN) override that boosts or opens the signal for use with Gig ISP's. If needed, make sure that you are using the NAT boosting or bypass mode in the router management settings.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.