Explore & discover

Helpful Links

iPhone wifi slow on AT&T fiber

Teacher

iPhone wifi slow on AT&T fiber

Looking for a solution to an issue with wifi on my home AT&T Fiber network 1000 Mbps. This only occurs with iPhones connected to the my home wifi. The majority of the time my iPhone X is very slow when connected to my home wifi (10 mbps or less). The exact same behavior occurs on my wife's iPhone X as well. Only if I disconnect and reconnect to the wifi via the phone directly or resetting the router does the connect start off fast for about 5 minutes or less.  Does not matter what the signal strength is or where in the home the phone is located.

Other connected devices, such as my Macbook, TVs, Firestick, etc. do not get a slow connection. They get 200+ Mbps over wifi.

Connecting to other wifi spots that are not our home wifi the wifi works as expected and extremely well on the iPhones, which leads me to believe there is a setting / recognition from AT&T router or service that  is specifically slowing the iPhone. Does anyone else have this problem?

- iPhone connects to the 5ghz band

- Tried manually specifying the DNS server to use, such as 1.1.1.1, on the iPhone

- Tried assigning IPV4 address to iPhone when it connects, rather than letting the router choose

- Changed channels of wifi and used AT&T mobile app to auto-optimize channel selection

- Reset of router does not resolve (ARRIS BGW210-700, Software version 1.8.18)

- When wifi is turned off on iPhone to disconnect from home wifi, LTE connects and is instantly faster

Message 1 of 58
Contributor

Re: iPhone wifi slow on AT

@gr8sho - I am currently also having the issue where our ATT fiber router
works perfectly fine for our roku, samsung smart tv and amazon firestick
but is incredibly slow for both mine and my husbands smartphones. Its
infuriating. I was seeing on this thread that others were "fixing" this
issue by getting a non-att router and using the passthrough option. I am
willing to do this, but was wondering about how to accurately set this up
to work correctly... Thanks so much!
Message 46 of 58
ACE - Professor

Yeah, I got that.  There are several good options out there.  For  instance Netgear Orbi is something you can get readily at Costco.  There are other good examples as well.  Depending on the size of your residence this may or may not be appropriate. 

Setting up Passthrough is not that hard to do.

When I have a spare moment, I'll look at seeing if a sticky post exists for doing this setup, but I wouldn't stop you from researching a product you'll find suitable for your situation.

In terms of setting expectations, a recent vintage iPhone should see around 500Mbps max speeds.  I'd also consider doing a factory reset on BGW210 if that hasn't been done in some time to see if that doesn't clear things up enough to make the router usable.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 47 of 58
Contributor

Thank you for the reply! I will research some options. We have done a
factory reset but we just moved into a new construction with att fiber
(previously had xfinity- oh how I miss it so) so it isn’t old at all.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus, so it isn’t old or vintage but not the newer one
either.

This is so frustrating- I just don’t want the att anymore but it’s my only
option. And here I am, having to buy my own parts to help it work better!
Message 48 of 58
ACE - Professor

The only bad part is being forced to pay lease fee for the gateway. With cable the option exists to buy your own equipment.  
Even the mighty Apple threw in the towel and got out of the router business.  
Your iPhone 8 is considered modern vintage.  You will like your fiber connection better than Comcast is my prediction.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 49 of 58
Contributor

I have same issue. Recently got fiber in last few weeks. I’ll add that my fix is to swipe down from upper right to bring up that menu group and then just send it away, it magically makes the app or website I’m trying to hit, then load. This is the case on my iPhone X and my iPad. I don’t actually turn on or off any of the options in that swipe down from upper right, so I have no idea why this seems to work. It is annoying because every new hyperlink I click I have to do it again, but at least the pages load nearly instantly instead of a minute later like it was doing. Hopefully someone smarter than I can figure out what in that quick less than a second swipe down from upper right action is doing on the iOS device to “fix”the issue.

Message 50 of 58
Teacher

@Fiberfibbersthat is EXACTLY what I was doing when I was on my iPhone. It's weird because it's almost as if there is a buffer sitting and waiting and for some reason it comes through when you swipe down and then send the menu away (you can see the app load in the background). You'd think it's an iPhone issue, as if the content is on the phone but doesn't load until you swipe down. But the behavior only occurs when on I was on my AT&T home wifi. If I switched to LTE, pages instantly loaded. This behavior occurs with any app using a network connection on my iPhone (Instagram, FB, Safari browser, etc.).

I ended up getting a Netgear Orbi to run wifi, turned the wifi off on my AT&T router and ran passthrough on the AT&T router to the Orbi. Now I don't have the issue anymore on any of my iOS devices when using wifi in my house.

Message 51 of 58
ACE - Professor

@bmore-nc 

Cool.  Did you set the gateway into passthrough mode?

Message 52 of 58
Teacher

@gr8sho 

Yup, as I posted earlier, I purchased the Netgear Orbi RBK50 kit that comes with one satellite. I disabled the wifi on the AT&T ARRIS BGW210-700, connected the U-Verse TV boxes to the BGW210 ethernet ports as they normally are, and plugged in the Orbi to an ethernet port on the BGW210. Used IP Passthrough in the BGW210 settings for the Orbi.

Message 53 of 58
ACE - Professor

Awesome.  Netgear does a poor job of telling its customers to avoid double NAT.  

Also important to note Netgear has a poor track record with firmware updates as well.  

Your local subnet should automatically be configured to 10.0.0.x.  

Message 54 of 58

Same here! Wow, having the exact same issue. I have an iPhone XR and my girlfriend has an iPhone 7. We both have to swipe to the settings to get the data to load. Agreed, it’s  like something is waiting to buffer and as soon as I swipe up and back down it loads instantly. Incredibly frustrating and theirs probably tons of people who aren’t having this same issue. Is there anyway we can get AT&T to actually escalate this to at&t tech support? Everytime I call tech support they tell me it’s my phones issue but my phone is fine on any other network. Even sometimes my Xbox has trouble and it’s connected straight into the modem! 

Message 55 of 58
ACE - Professor

@Christianjd wrote:

Same here! Wow, having the exact same issue. I have an iPhone XR and my girlfriend has an iPhone 7. We both have to swipe to the settings to get the data to load. Agreed, it’s  like something is waiting to buffer and as soon as I swipe up and back down it loads instantly. Incredibly frustrating and theirs probably tons of people who aren’t having this same issue. Is there anyway we can get AT&T to actually escalate this to at&t tech support? Everytime I call tech support they tell me it’s my phones issue but my phone is fine on any other network. Even sometimes my Xbox has trouble and it’s connected straight into the modem! 

I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Message 56 of 58
Contributor

So is the best solution as of right now using an old router if possible? I’m having the same issue with the BGW210

Message 57 of 58
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

@khnlee 

No, and I'm not sure where that came from.  For a recent vintage smartphone, MU-Mimo support for Wi-Fi is recommended.  Apple specifically recommends it for their devices.  

Message 58 of 58
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support