For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
bmore-nc's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Monday, April 8th, 2019 3:05 PM

Closed

iPhone wifi slow on AT&T fiber

Looking for a solution to an issue with wifi on my home AT&T Fiber network 1000 Mbps. This only occurs with iPhones connected to the my home wifi. The majority of the time my iPhone X is very slow when connected to my home wifi (10 mbps or less). The exact same behavior occurs on my wife's iPhone X as well. Only if I disconnect and reconnect to the wifi via the phone directly or resetting the router does the connect start off fast for about 5 minutes or less.  Does not matter what the signal strength is or where in the home the phone is located.

Other connected devices, such as my Macbook, TVs, Firestick, etc. do not get a slow connection. They get 200+ Mbps over wifi.

Connecting to other wifi spots that are not our home wifi the wifi works as expected and extremely well on the iPhones, which leads me to believe there is a setting / recognition from AT&T router or service that  is specifically slowing the iPhone. Does anyone else have this problem?

- iPhone connects to the 5ghz band

- Tried manually specifying the DNS server to use, such as 1.1.1.1, on the iPhone

- Tried assigning IPV4 address to iPhone when it connects, rather than letting the router choose

- Changed channels of wifi and used AT&T mobile app to auto-optimize channel selection

- Reset of router does not resolve (ARRIS BGW210-700, Software version 1.8.18)

- When wifi is turned off on iPhone to disconnect from home wifi, LTE connects and is instantly faster

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I will try this once I get home. But you know what’s the reason for this IPv6 being on or off ? 

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Turning off IPv6 shouldn't be necessary but doing so forces devices to use the older but perfectly adequate IPv4. This seems to avoid some bug with IPv6 either in the router or the iPhone. That's my best guess at least.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I checked it and it was already turned off so idk... I need to get this fixed because this is getting very upsetting. 

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Same, checked IPv6 and it's already off on the router.  

Yeah, very upsetting! I pay for 1G fiber in my home and then I have to use my iPhone AT&T data plan (LTE) if i want to access anything on the internet on my phone rather than use home wifi. Every other device in my home seems to work fine at the expected high-speeds on my home network, but the device I use most often doesn't.  WHY!??!?

There has to be something the iPhone is looking for via the router and is not getting it so it times-out and goes elsewhere, thus the lag, or the router itself recognizes the iPhone device and is doing the same. Like I said, I tried changing the DNS server, but that hasn't resolved the issue. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

It has to be on the iPhone and apple products itself with the problem I think. No other device and even cheap phones experiencing this issue... We need to raise the issue to apple so they can take a look at it. 

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I saw this problem on both an iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 as soon as I upgraded to fiber. On my new AT&T Router, model BGW210-700, turning off IPv6 was adequate to avoid the problem. From this thread and other threads outside of AT&T forums, it sounds like a non-trivial conflict between router and iPhone. It might be configuration or it might be a bug. This is something best addressed by getting Apple and AT&T to talk to each other. That may not be easy, but someone with an iPhone within the 90-day free support period might have the best luck. Get an AT&T senior technician on-site and Apple on the phone and let them fight it out.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I went to the router settings and clicked on find best channel. & I started to play my

Yu-Gi-Oh game on my iPhone. & I haven’t lost any games with connection failure which happened all the times. I will update in a week if I experience any issue. 

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

@OppaStoppa Per my original post, I've changed channels of wifi and used AT&T mobile app to auto-optimize channel selection. Still doesn't work.

@edadave  Also have the BGW210-700 with IPv6 off. I also did a factory reset on the router to clear any potential bugs I may have introduced since it was originally installed. As it does with a normal router restart, the iPhone started off fast but then went back to slow on the network after a few minutes. . . And I hear you. But I'm not paying AT&T and Apple so I can solve the problems with their network and hardware. It's ridiculous, I can't afford to take off from my job (which is what in turn pays them) to have their tech people figure it out on my time. They need to take ownership of the problem and solve it for their customers!

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I think the iPhone doesn't like AT&T's automatic band steering. I gave my 2.4 and 5 GHz radios different SSIDs and behavior seems quite a bit better though not perfect. With this, the phone will connect to one radio and stay there unless you manually switch it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Having the same issue only on my iPhone. Turned the IPv6 off and phone is on the 5 ghz. Still having issues. This is infuriating. We just moved and the only provider in this area is ATT. I miss Comcast. I never had these issues. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.