Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
bmore-nc's profile

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

Monday, April 8th, 2019 3:05 PM

Closed

iPhone wifi slow on AT&T fiber

Looking for a solution to an issue with wifi on my home AT&T Fiber network 1000 Mbps. This only occurs with iPhones connected to the my home wifi. The majority of the time my iPhone X is very slow when connected to my home wifi (10 mbps or less). The exact same behavior occurs on my wife's iPhone X as well. Only if I disconnect and reconnect to the wifi via the phone directly or resetting the router does the connect start off fast for about 5 minutes or less.  Does not matter what the signal strength is or where in the home the phone is located.

Other connected devices, such as my Macbook, TVs, Firestick, etc. do not get a slow connection. They get 200+ Mbps over wifi.

Connecting to other wifi spots that are not our home wifi the wifi works as expected and extremely well on the iPhones, which leads me to believe there is a setting / recognition from AT&T router or service that  is specifically slowing the iPhone. Does anyone else have this problem?

- iPhone connects to the 5ghz band

- Tried manually specifying the DNS server to use, such as 1.1.1.1, on the iPhone

- Tried assigning IPV4 address to iPhone when it connects, rather than letting the router choose

- Changed channels of wifi and used AT&T mobile app to auto-optimize channel selection

- Reset of router does not resolve (ARRIS BGW210-700, Software version 1.8.18)

- When wifi is turned off on iPhone to disconnect from home wifi, LTE connects and is instantly faster

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

4 years ago

IMHO, that type of mix and match doesn’t yield desired results.  but to answer the question, you wouldn’t use Passthrough mode if the personal router is configured as an access point, only if it’s in true router mode.  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.3K Messages

4 years ago

@JC0460 
Personally I both sympathize and empathize.  I’ve been through this meat grinder myself. Any concerns should be communicated via escalation.  That’s the only way I know your voice will be heard.  
In the end a compromise may be required. The basic internet access is fine.  The gateway leaves a lot to desired.  check over on dslreports.com to see what others are doing, specifically around the topic of bypass.  You have options, and yes you’ll have to spend more money, but in the end you’ll have something more workable.  

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Also, router info:

ARRIS BGW210-700

Software version 1.8.18

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I’m having the same problem. I just recently got AT&T Fiber 1Gb and it’s only effecting my iPhone X. While everyone else has cheap phones and seems to work better than my phone...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Exact same situation here. My computer and iPad do just fine, as does my roommate’s pixel phone (usually well over 200 mbps). My iPhone XS Max and the Apple TV, however, are incredibly slow. I usually get around 2-6 mbps on my iPhone, and I’m not sure about the Apple TV, but ever since I switched to att fiber a couple of weeks ago it requires very frequent buffering. Has anyone been able to figure this out?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Hey! I think I figured out what was going on! It looks like the “band steering” feature of the AT&T router was consistently sending my iphone and Apple TV  to the 2.4 ghz band instead of the 5 ghz band. You can check that by going to the “advanced device configuration” address on your router and you can see which band each connected device is using. If this is what’s happening for you, go in to your WiFi advanced settings and change the name of one of the networks (I just put 2.4 on the end of the default name for the 2.4ghz). Then you’ll have a choice of which to connect to! Some older devices can’t connect to 5ghz, so I wouldn’t recommend turning it off completely, but this has solved my iPhone and Apple TV problem for the time being!

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks @Jenn0772 - unfortunately that's not the case for me. The iPhone X is connecting to the 5GHz band. I've confirmed by looking at the router configuration and confirming which band each device is connected to. 

• 

5 Messages

did you ever find the solution?i got sonic but AT&T provides the fiber optic. And yes it is the router it’s doing something to it the iPhones. Lagging them.

I think it’s the phone adapter . When I restart router and use without phone adapter connected it woks. But I didnt tested for long. So where you able to find what the router is doing to the iPhones? I know the only choice we got is to get a diffrrnt brand router .i just don’t wanna have 2 routers .

Please let me know if you found the solution. PLus always named your WiFi signals. In auto the router really starts to lagg . But like you said it’s a configuration problem.

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I'm seeing the same thing on multiple iPhones. Interesting that the SpeedCheck app (speedspot.org) on the iPhones consistently shows a good speed of at least 100 Mb/s although it goes up and down (100 to 300) much more than other wireless or wired devices. iPhones streaming video frequently stop to buffer where they never did with 50 Mb/s AT&T copper.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I am having the exact same issue on the 5ghz band

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I turned off IPv6 on the router and the problem went away. I'm not seeing any side effects. To try this, log into the router,then "Home Network" tab, then IPv6 sub-tab, then IPv6 to Off and Save. Please post if this also helped you, thoughts on why this helps, or any information on downsides of doing this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.