Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
alison12102's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, June 26th, 2014 3:19 PM

Wireless speed and GigaPower

I had gigapower installed last Saturday, and already the speeds have considerably slowed on all of my devices. I live in a one bedroom apartment and the box is in my closet, so it's not like I have thick walls blocking anything. 

I have run a few different speed tests and cannot get more than about 10 Mbps on download and 5 Mbps on upload. I have Netflix on an AppleTV and it is truly horrible. My stadndard Time Warner internet was better than this. It's not only Netflix though, I'm having trouble with connecting and loading on my laptop, phone, etc. 

Even the tech could not get above about 40 Mbps on the day of install in my living room, which is one wall away from my closet. This is ridiculous. I'm paying a good premium for lower quality service. I can't accept that one wall is what is separating me from faster internet. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

1.0 I turned off the ATT modem wireless setup.

2.0 just using my third party router.

3.0 I'm on directv i don't use uvserve tv

4.0 standing in same room as router right now i'm getting 433 Mb down and 69 Mb up. it has gotten alittle faster since install.

5.0 no on file servers

6.0 wired connection was like 850's Mb up which is okay. but still aint 1 gig.

the problem i'm having is one person says wireless is slow line problem then tech comes out say 600 Mb to 900 MB wired any where in that range your good. i want to know about wireless speeds since most people connect wireless now what are the speeds suppost to me.  magic question i can't get the answer..........

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

network card

intel(R) dual band wireless-ac-7260

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

hi @d_shaw73 or whomever is still having this issue or perhaps solved it.  was there any follow up on this?  i'm running into the exact same problem.  however, i did turn my att router wifi off and that did help a lot.  at least on my iphone my speeds went up from 250mbps to 450mbps...just by turning the wireless off at the att router.

i to have the same intel 7260ac card and have tried a bazillion different settings as even recommended on the net and intel's site.  my link speed says 870mbps when i pull up properites in tihe network drive form/windo (windows 10) but when i used beta.speedtest.com i'm still only getting 300mbps.  however, hard lan line i get 890mbps down.

i'm using a linksys giiga bit router  model ac5400 mu0mmo EA9500

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Are you guys talking Mbits down? Just asking for info cause att gigapower service is ~125Mbytes or 1000Mbits. And unless you have updated wireless hardware you will never reach 1000Mbits down or up. The top tier routers max out at ~2500Mbits under lab testing with matching adapters. In real world testing you will almost never get close to half of the rated max speed and this drops drastically over even short distance changes. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I had the gigapower internet installed yesterday. When the technician was there I was running speedtests on my phone of upwards of 400 MBPS download and 400 upload as well. My issue is that there appears to be little, if any badnwidth with my current modem. I play my PS4 online a lot (hardwired to the modem/router) but if more than one wireless device is connected and using internet my PS4 is unplayable and my download and upload speeds drop to 3-4 MBPS. Is this and issue with my ATT router/modem? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm curious if using my modem/router as just a modem and getting a thrid party router may help this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

My ATT modem model is 5286AC FXN.

Thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

One thing to keep
In mind is you must have CAT 5e or CAT 6 running too and from your modem to achive the higher speeds. The tech wired everything correct except for the cable to the mode. It was cat5 and my speeds where nearly 100Mb. Since the cat5e I'm
now at 825down and 678up using Speedtest.net. Might check you setup as it helped me.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

For about a month,  I am experiencing only slight higher than 10Mbps up/down, sometimes <3Mbps down.

More importantly, a half of my ping tests are between 500ms to 2 seconds to any well known web sites.

Generally speaking it is not very stable and feel slow in my VPN and voice on IP,etc.

The funny thing is ATT's trouble-shooting reports "no problem" after diagnostics - what a joke.

Does anyone experience similar issues?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I live in a one-level, 3400 sq/ft home (new construction) and I am subscribed to the U-Verse 1GB internet service. When I directly connect to the gateway, I achieve upwards of 800 MBps download and 700 MBps upload speed. But wirelessly from the U-Verse router, at best I am receiving 200 MBps of each. What is the best method to enhance/boost the wifi connection from the U-Verse device via a non-AT&T router (Linksys, Netgear, Orbi, etc) throughout the home?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I live in a one-level, 3400 sq/ft home (new construction) and I am subscribed to the U-Verse 1GB internet service. When I directly connect to the gateway, I achieve upwards of 800 MBps download and 700 MBps upload speed. But wirelessly from the U-Verse router, at best I am receiving 200 MBps of each. What is the best method to enhance/boost the wifi connection from either the U-Verse device or a non-AT&T router (Linksys, Netgear, etc) throughout the home?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@theprays

WiFi speed achieved is dependent on factors other than the AT&T provided router/gateway. Factors such as the WiFi capabilities of the electronics within the device in question as well as its overall performance; a Windows 10 device that is more than two years old potentially is a good example. Distance and obstructions (walls, doors, cabinets, floors...) are common factors as is electrical interference. Additionally, a common misconception is that WiFi speed is a constant, it's not and to explain why not is too technical. Just consider a WiFi connection speed as adaptive.

The question that I have for you is; Is this post just because of a speed test or are you experiencing an issue of some sort?

As far as expanding WiFi reception in your home, the three manufacturers you mentioned would be on my short list but you have to base your choice on your specific requirements. The key is not to make a decision based on price. For myself, I installed an Apple AirPort Extreme years ago for two reasons; 1) the AT&T provided router/gateway at that time did not support 802.11n and 2) the AT&T provided router/gateway was unfriendly to my Apple products which is true even today.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.